Canon 1st Quarter 2024 Financials

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Today, Canon released their financials for the first quarter of 2024. Overall the company’s sales increased for the year, but operating profit was down. Personally I think the first 3 months of the calendar year are always tough to predict because a lot of it depends on what was left over from Christmas. If retailers

See full article...

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
There was not much released in Q4 2023 or Q1 2024 to drive sales. I expect Q2 and Q3 2024 to improve significantly with new cameras and lenses being announced.
I really hope that the rumoured Q2 announcements actually ship in Q2 as well, but that will be very tight with the predicted end-of-May announcement date.

That’s not even considering the ‘usual’ supply chain issues Canon has been showing where the first batch is relatively small and the big volume happens months later.

Upvote 0

roby17269

R5, H5X + IQ1-80, DJI Mini & Mavic 3 Pro, GoPro 10
Feb 26, 2014
New York
rdmfashionphoto.com
There was not much released in Q4 2023 or Q1 2024 to drive sales. I expect Q2 and Q3 2024 to improve significantly with new cameras and lenses being announced.
Part of the problem with sales in Q4 2023 and Q1 2024 was that they did not deliver enough lenses of certain models: 10-20, 200-800, 100-300 etc. all remain difficult to find. I haven't look into availability of other lenses.
I am still waiting for Adorama to ship a 200-800 to me, ordered in November 2023.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Part of the problem with sales in Q4 2023 and Q1 2024 was that they did not deliver enough lenses of certain models: 10-20, 200-800, 100-300 etc. all remain difficult to find. I haven't look into availability of other lenses.
I am still waiting for Adorama to ship a 200-800 to me, ordered in November 2023.
Which, in some way, is good news for Canon: they are selling every copy of those lenses that gets produced.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
and in other ways it means that they could have sold more if they had been able to deliver them :unsure:
Remember during COVID when new cars were in short supply and the usual dealer discounts were not happening? Even though auto sales declined in terms of unit volume, auto dealer and manufacturer profits saw huge gains.

Companies care about the bottom line more than the top line. If a lens is in short supply, the most likely reason is not that Canon cannot make enough of them, it's that they're choosing not to. Have you noticed that none of the consumer-level (low margin) lenses seem to be in short supply?

Upvote 0
Jan 11, 2016
I really hope that the rumoured Q2 announcements actually ship in Q2 as well, but that will be very tight with the predicted end-of-May announcement date.

That’s not even considering the ‘usual’ supply chain issues Canon has been showing where the first batch is relatively small and the big volume happens months later.
Don’t think so, judging from previous releases it will be an early Q3 thing. The last announcement (24-105Z) was on Nov 2nd, but the lens only shipped almost 6 weeks later on Dec 13.

Upvote 0
Jan 11, 2016
Companies care about the bottom line more than the top line. If a lens is in short supply, the most likely reason is not that Canon cannot make enough of them, it's that they're choosing not to. Have you noticed that none of the consumer-level (low margin) lenses seem to be in short supply?
So Canon is prioritizing high volume and low margin lenses (e.g. consumer grade lenses)? Isn't that detrimental to the bottom line and operating margins?

Selling $1M worth of kit lenses might net Canon $100k in operating margin, but selling $1M worth of 200-800s might well double that. The consumer lenses are also often bundled together (see Content Creator Kit, Video Creator Kit) with discounts, further compressing margins.

The current stock situation would make more sense if Canon is prioritizing the top line, in terms of both revenue and units shipped.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
So Canon is prioritizing high volume and low margin lenses (e.g. consumer grade lenses)? Isn't that detrimental to the bottom line and operating margins?
Not suggesting that, rather that they are restricting production (or distribution) of the new, high-margin lenses to keep demand high and thus obviate any pressure for discounting that cuts into the margins.

Upvote 0
Jan 11, 2016
Not suggesting that, rather that they are restricting production (or distribution) of the new, high-margin lenses to keep demand high and thus obviate any pressure for discounting that cuts into the margins.
That seems like a rather convoluted explanation of the stock situation to me. I imagine Canon would rather take the revenue and profit now instead of behaving like Rolex in terms of restricting supply (and people tolerate Rolex only because the market price for some watches are higher than the MSRP). This is especially true with the 100-300, which, like other superteles, will never be discounted in its lifecycle.

It seems more likely to me that the higher end lenses are more complicated and require higher precision manufacturing, and it is just more difficult to manufacture. To me, Canon would like to manufacture and sell more higher end stuff, but they just can't given current resources.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0