Canon adds ST-E3-RT Version 3 transmitter

To me they seem to have an identical feature set on the surface. The only thing I can think of is maybe improved resistance to wifi interference?

View attachment 215289
It's possible that Canon's stocks were running low and needed to put a new order into Hitachi (who design and manufacture all of Canon's speedlites) for a slightly revised version.

Upvote 0

LDS

Sep 14, 2012
instead of crashing and tapping out.

Well, if something crashes it's a bug. When something is heavily software dependent, being able to update the firmware is a good idea. The systems should try to recover from an error, and if the situation persists, flag the error clearly (lights, beeps), and wait for user intervention, especially on hardware aimed at professionals who lose money if their equipment doesn't work well.

why was I banned instead of corrected by a canon rep

Only Canon knows. A video just showing an issue without specifying in what conditions were performed, without trying different settings (i.e. channels and IDs) may mean very little. Someone who puts antennas in contact or almost shows he doesn't understand anything about radio transmissions (see "near field" and "far field", for example), youtube is full of sorcerer's apprentices.

Anyway trying to take down anything showing issues when they're well know help little, unless it's a SEO matter. Still I prefer more in-depth analyses made by competente people. I'm not downplayng the issue, just saying pinpointing it to its roor cause needs better researches.

Westcott and Prophoto AFAIK work in the same 2.4GHz band used by Canon - it might be a different WiFi chip, it might be different firmware. I routinely use an Elinchrom remote which is in the same band, and have no issues - but it got updates in the past years - still in my home the WiFi spectrum is not crowded. and I rarely use them outside. I may have next week an occasion to test my Phottix Laso remote with Canon 600EX at an event - I will try to check how they behave.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Kiton

Too deep in Canon to list! :o
Jun 13, 2015
And a Godox or Profoto transmitter cost how much again?
Who buys these anymore?
With the range of lights from standard speed lights to 600w lights for a third of the cost and for some,
has last them what seems forever who would invest their hard earn money on a $300. trigger?

I have 7 radio flashes, my Godox could not fire them without a godox receiver at the base, was I doing something wrong?

I sold my Godox and my pocket wizard flex (crap) and use the RT 2 on the R5 and the ST on the R6 and I still use old pocket wizard hard wired in tough spots.

As someone else mentioned here, the canon flash system does not live up to the canon standards. And now they no longer make a high end flash that takes AA batteries, I do not want to use a flash like the EL 1

Upvote 0

LDS

Sep 14, 2012
How could frequency ranges and modulation change without losing compatibility with current devices? Anyway those specification has nothing to do with the issues, as they are standard ones. What matter is the radio, chipset and the firmware quality - Canon could have (or could not have) changed them and from those specifications one cannot really tell, without dismantling the device and reverse-engineering the firmware.

It's just like saying the new R5 II has a 24x36 sensor at 45mpx. It could be the same R5 one or a totally different one... you can't tell from size and pixel count.

Upvote 0
I have 7 radio flashes, my Godox could not fire them without a godox receiver at the base, was I doing something wrong?

I sold my Godox and my pocket wizard flex (crap) and use the RT 2 on the R5 and the ST on the R6 and I still use old pocket wizard hard wired in tough spots.

As someone else mentioned here, the canon flash system does not live up to the canon standards. And now they no longer make a high end flash that takes AA batteries, I do not want to use a flash like the EL 1
Each flash manufacturer has their own ID code so what ever transmitter you are using it has to be paired with a receiver of it's own kind .
I use the Godox 600s 200s and V1s but in the studio i have a mix of Godox and Alienbees, for the setup I have and old Adarama transmitters and receivers can't remember the name but they have a hotshoe so place the Godox transmitter at the top and trigger both lights at the same time. If you are in a studio you can also use the optical sensor to trigger your other brand providing both lights can see each other. However it's best to stay inside the same ecosystem, if you have Godox they have a wide range of lighting for all occasions along with Profoto and Westcott.
If you use studio strobes like Godox just forget about the Canon flashes and invest in the Godox ecosystem.
Good luck.

Upvote 0
I have both
Each flash manufacturer has their own ID code so what ever transmitter you are using it has to be paired with a receiver of it's own kind .
I use the Godox 600s 200s and V1s but in the studio i have a mix of Godox and Alienbees, for the setup I have and old Adarama transmitters and receivers can't remember the name but they have a hotshoe so place the Godox transmitter at the top and trigger both lights at the same time. If you are in a studio you can also use the optical sensor to trigger your other brand providing both lights can see each other. However it's best to stay inside the same ecosystem, if you have Godox they have a wide range of lighting for all occasions along with Profoto and Westcott.
If you use studio strobes like Godox just forget about the Canon flashes and invest in the Godox ecosystem.
Good luck.
I have both Canon and Westcott triggers and both work with my Westcott lights and Canon speedlites fine.

Upvote 0

Kiton

Too deep in Canon to list! :o
Jun 13, 2015
Good luck.
Thanks!
I wish I had gone Godox from day one.
I use several Canon 600 ver 2 RT and 1 430 RT and Yonguo 600 flashes.
They work together but they all glitch.

Today I had 4 flashes going and they were flawless, until I shut them down.
Booting them back up was a nightmare.
I sort of laughed at Profoto prices when they first launched, but I at the point Profoto seems CHEAP if the crap works every time!
( I really do not mean that, it would cost me 9k to switch to profoto)

I have found that both the Canon and the Yonguo are a little more reliable with the Canon trigger if I set them to never sleep.
But the units can be very warm at the end of a shoot.

Tomorrow I have an academic presentation in a room with flat black ceilings but white walls. I may set up 4 Yonguo as slaves up high and light the entire room with just a touch of flash at 45 degrees chriscrossing the room to break the harsh crap straight down industrial lights in the place.

Canon is so 2030s high tech as a flash that I carry a bunch of these 1980s peanut slaves as backup.
:oops:
I bought a Yonguo 560 for a light behind the seamless but the optical slave did not pick up, so it was moved to a rim light and worked just fine in that role.

Attachments

• peanut slaves 4467.jpg
    peanut slaves 4467.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 2
  • Yonguo 560 4735.jpg
    Yonguo 560 4735.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 2
Upvote 0