Canon RF 24mm f/1.4L USM and RF 50mm f/1.4L USM coming in Q4 as part of a "hybrid family" of L prime lenses

I currently have the RF 50mm 1.2 and RF 85mm 1.2. Both are great lenses for photography but not so much for video. They have terrible focus breathing and they don\'t focus as fast my previous sony lenses. I would switch them out in a heartbeat for light RF 1.4 primes. Canon give us a 24mm 1.4, 35mm 1.4mm, 50mm 1.4, and a 85m 1.4 that are great for video and photos. The 1.8 primes a joke. They are the worst of any brand.
I have not used the 50 1.2 for video but surely this is something Canon can correct with software in the short term? I have been wanting to get into video more and was thinking of using the 50 1.2 to complement the 15-35 and 70-200 F2.8s. I know the 28-70 F2 was notorious for focus breathing so hopefully the MKII can fix it, and then the MKII 50 1.2 in a few years can fix that optically too.

Upvote 0

KT

Feb 2, 2012
I'm curious if the R5 Mark II has a stacked 45MP sensor as mentioned in the video, how would Canon differentiate the R1 from the R5 II to justify a healthy price hike?

I find it hard to believe the two bodies will share the same sensor, especially if the R1 is expected to be released 2 months later, by then the 45MP stacked sensor would be old news, even more so with the Z9 with stacked 47 MP sensor about to be updated.

On the other hand, I don't believe the R1 will have a global shutter, at least not this generation of R1. Are they just going to go crazy with video specs, internal cooling and that's why all these video-focused primes?

Maybe that's why Nikon bought Red, in anticipation of the R1 video features.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jan 11, 2016
I'm curious if the R5 Mark II has a stacked 45MP sensor as mentioned in the video, how would Canon differentiate the R1 from the R5 II to justify a healthy price hike?

I find it hard to believe the two bodies will share the same sensor, especially if the R1 is expected to be released 2 months later, by then the 45MP stacked sensor would be old news, even more so with the Z9 with stacked 47 MP sensor about to be updated.

On the other hand, I don't believe the R1 will have a global shutter, at least not this generation of R1. Are they just going to go crazy with video specs, internal cooling and that's why all these video-focused primes?

Maybe that's why Nikon bought Red, in anticipation of the R1 video features.
If you believe the Chinese rumors, then the R1 will be 30 MP but can do 120 fps with full AE/AF. That’s would be the headline spec. No global shutter according to that rumor, but sub 1 millisecond readout time on a very fast stacked sensor. Basically a direct competitor against the A9III.

I imagine the R5 will be restricted to 30 or 40 fps.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

P-visie

EOS 5 - R5
CR Pro
Sep 14, 2020
Netherlands
www.p-visie.nl
PetaPixel has a post (link) that Sigma and Tamron wil start to make APS-C RF lenses:
“Sigma’s entry into the RF mount comes in the form of six “Contemporary” lenses that are all currently available for other mirrorless camera mounts: the 18-50mm f/2.8 DC DN, the 10-18mm f/2.8 DC DN, the 16mm f/1.4 DC DN, 23mm f/1.4 DC DN, 30mm f/1.4 DC DN, and 56mm f/1.4 DC DN.”
and:
“Tamron will also release optics for Canon RF mount starting with the 11-20mm F/2.8 Di III-A RXD (Model B060)”.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

ashmadux

Art Director, Visual Artist, Freelance Photography
Jul 28, 2011
New Yawk
photography.ashworld.com
Canon is finally gonna fill out the price range with a $1200 'midrange' nifty fifty :ROFLMAO:

Lolol ... If they turn it into an L... This sounds so damn nutty they might actually do it. They simply do not want to make mid-range lenses unless it has something super unique. Is it so that they can ask their customers to walk around and tell people that their lenses are more special?

Upvote 0
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
I wonder why they didn't update the R10 and R7 to have focus breathing compensation?
The R7 has for sure the 'old' Digic X, I suspect the R10 uses that as well. The 'new' Digic X used in the R6II and R8 is much more power efficient for video, I can record full-sensor oversampled 4k60 on the R8 for about 50 minutes before the battery runs out, the R5 also gets 50 minutes with full-sensor oversampled 4k30 (not 4k60). The LP-E17 in the R8 is about half the capacity of the LP-E6NH in the R5. That's from personal experience, the interwebs report that the R6II can record for much longer on a single charge than the R6.

This implies that the R50 has the 'new' Digic X as well.

We don't have hard evidence that there are 'old' and 'new' versions of the Digic X, we only have someone from Canon Europe stating that in a Canon podcast and the longer recording times we can observe. There is the possibility that the efficiency gain is purely software, but I find that extremely unlikely, since it would fix pretty much all the overheating in older bodies.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
I wonder why they didn't update the R10 and R7 to have focus breathing compensation?
And a related question: Sigma says that the Sigma RF-S lenses they announced today will have all the digital corrections, will that include focus breathing compensation as well?

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Lolol ... If they turn it into an L... This sounds so damn nutty they might actually do it. They simply do not want to make mid-range lenses unless it has something super unique. Is it so that they can ask their customers to walk around and tell people that their lenses are more special?
Oh, you’re still here? :rolleyes:

• Haha
Upvote 0