Worst of Canon 2023: It’s Unanimous

mpeeps

Lovin' life on the Central Coast
CR Pro
Dec 5, 2013
California
www.mpeeples.com
My "Worst of 2023" would be the RF24-50. The range is simply too confining. A bit larger 24-70 or 28-85 of similar speed would have been more appealing.
I agree. Also, the little click thing to get the lens in position to shoot is annoying at best and scary at worst! I took it out for a test shoot and haven't put it back on the R8 since. I do have a 24-205 f4 which plays very nicely with the camera.

Upvote 0

Dragon

EF 800L f/5.6, RF 800 f/11
May 29, 2019
Oregon
I agree. Also, the little click thing to get the lens in position to shoot is annoying at best and scary at worst! I took it out for a test shoot and haven't put it back on the R8 since. I do have a 24-205 f4 which plays very nicely with the camera.
24-205 F4 ????????? where can I get one of those?

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Perhaps from a 'look at me I have an iPhone' standpoint. But personally, I find the integrated hardware/software approach to be one of Apple's biggest strengths. The ability to be browsing a webpage on my phone and open it with one click on my Mac, being able to copy text or an image on my Mac and directly paste that on an iPhone, iPad or another Mac, being able to use en external keyboard and mouse with two different Macs at the same time (literally moving the cursor from one display to another when those displays are separate Macs), being on a Zoom call on my Mac and being able to answer a call on my iPhone and have my AirPods switch from Zoom on the Mac to the phone call, and a host of other examples of integrated functionality...those are what makes Apple's usability so high, for me.
I don't doubt some people like yourself are motivated by rationality. But I don't think it's controversial to suggest that many consumers are at least in part driven by feelings - including prestige/a sense of luxury. Fwiw I've been an Apple user for fifteen years. I like how their products generally just work*, but also I'm tied into their ecosystem - it wouldn't make sense for me to get a non-Apple phone or computer because then a lot of my files and software wouldn't work properly, at least without added hassle.

*however they also sometimes omit things perplexingly, for instance apparently I can't mirror my phone screen to an iPad without third party software, I can only mirror either my phone or an iPad to an Apple tv, seems an unnecessary restriction.

Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2014
My "Worst of 2023" would be the RF24-50. The range is simply too confining. A bit larger 24-70 or 28-85 of similar speed would have been more appealing.

The 24-50 range is fine, considering the size. A 24-70 would be more than a "bit larger". The problem is the image quality is average and the plastic mount. Even the cheaper 50mm or 24-105 7.1 have metal mounts.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I agree with most of what you write, but Apple got their ‘inspiration’ from the Xerox Palo Alto Research Center. Xerox PARC built one of the first pc’s, the Xerox Alto, and are the inventors of the graphical user interface, mouse, laserprinter, ethernet. So Apple weren’t exactly pioneers…..
Edit: This is written on an iPad;).
It's true about those. However, Apple has been more innovative since then than their competitors. I have a Mac "luggable" with the trackball stored away somewhere in my garage.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Well according to this forum the market leader has the best product, so naturally Android is the best mobile OS (ca. 70% global market share) and Windows is the best personal computer OS (also around 70% global market share).
Evidently you don’t understand the difference between ‘best’ and ‘most popular’.

‘Best’ is highly subjective and depends on personal factors.

The most popular product likely best meets the needs of the majority of the market. ‘Needs’ are an amalgamation of features, price, availability and myriad other factors.

I don’t recall anyone here suggesting the Toyota Corolla is the ‘best’ car.

On the other hand, you clearly understand the concept of an internet troll….in a very personal way.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
On the other hand, you clearly understand the concept of an internet troll….in a very personal way.
Thanks - I am working on refining my skills every day.

Jokes aside, I asked the mods to delete my account. My comments so far are already purged. My new years resolution is to spend less time arguing with internet strangers, so I guess this is goodbye.

See you around and always have good light.

Upvote 0
I'm impressed y'all are keeping this going.

the site seems to be having difficulties and Craig is in the middle of nowhere right now, but the #1 pick should be coming shortly. Craig's 5* hotel accommodations ;)

1704506682958.png

It's intersting that images will post in here, but not on the actual blog. (this was actually a test of that )

Upvote 0
And if you knew how much more expensive Apples are in Europe? Apple managed to instill in their customers a sense of being part of an elite. Well done, Apple, excellent marketing!
Sony customers lack this elite feeling, but still believe they are part of a technological spearhead, no matter how blunt this spearhead often is...;)
But of click bait I reckon!
I don’t want to be the IT family administrator. The stuff pretty much works seamlessly and if there is a problem then the Apple Store can assist.
Buyers are fans because of this. Fan boys aside, the design is good and laptop longevity excellent. My work windows laptop reinforces that every day for me :) YMMV

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
I'm impressed y'all are keeping this going. ;)

View attachment 213992

It's intersting that images will post in here, but not on the actual blog. (this was actually a test of that )
I reckon the OP was a bit of click bait and we all
Fell for it :cool:
Not to say that corporations can’t release lemons but it is a bit early to judge its commercial success irrespective of reviewers

Upvote 0
Aug 10, 2021
I reckon the OP was a bit of click bait and we all
Fell for it :cool:
Not to say that corporations can’t release lemons but it is a bit early to judge its commercial success irrespective of reviewers
It's amusing when someone is so closed minded they have to quit the website because they can't accept a debate about what is more important: "the product is good for you" or "the product is good for Canon's profits" ?

Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
But of click bait I reckon!
I don’t want to be the IT family administrator. The stuff pretty much works seamlessly and if there is a problem then the Apple Store can assist.
Buyers are fans because of this. Fan boys aside, the design is good and laptop longevity excellent. My work windows laptop reinforces that every day for me :) YMMV
The only trouble with Apple PCs in Europe is the pricing...
A basic Mac Book Pro 16" starting price is 2999 Euro + options.

Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
It's amusing when someone is so closed minded they have to quit the website because they can't accept a debate about what is more important: "the product is good for you" or "the product is good for Canon's profits" ?
Let them whine elsewhere, there are many fora...

• Haha
Upvote 0
Aug 10, 2021
The only trouble with Apple PCs in Europe is the pricing...
A basic Mac Book Pro 16" starting price is 2999 Euro + options.
It's expensive compared to a windows laptop, but most people who buy them seem happy. I guess it's not any worse than buying an R5, R3 or equivalents from other manufacturers. It would be nice if computer hardware didn't become obsolete faster, but that applies to the other companies and phones & tablets too

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
It's expensive compared to a windows laptop, but most people who buy them seem happy. I guess it's not any worse than buying an R5, R3 or equivalents from other manufacturers. It would be nice if computer hardware didn't become obsolete faster, but that applies to the other companies and phones & tablets too
Macs don't get obsolete fast in general - the new ones are just simply faster and the old ones continue to work. The last big change was from 32 to 64-bit architecture. Not buying one is like buying an R100.;)

• Haha
Upvote 0