Worst of Canon 2023: It’s Unanimous

Sep 20, 2020
Back in the 1980s, IBM PCs, which were top of the range using Microsoft OS, were horrible to use
Macs were definitely better but I would not say that PC's were horrible to use.
Lives of IT admins were so much easier.
People just stuck to the menu system they were given and only used programs listed in the menu.
Very limiting, but people knew those few programs inside and out.

Upvote 0
Aug 10, 2021
Macs don't get obsolete fast in general - the new ones are just simply faster and the old ones continue to work. The last big change was from 32 to 64-bit architecture. Not buying one is like buying an R100.;)
Not fast, but faster than our 5 or 1 series bodies.
I don't say anything against macs, but about computers in general are pushed by the software companies. I have a 20 year old powerbook that still runs photoshop and illustrator CS fine, but which is great, but it struggles with larger files. A pc would have began struggling too if not sooner.
If I remember the problem I had was related to basicly forced upgrades for web browsers. To load every web page you need to keep up with the web browser versions which need the os updated and eventually it needs a new processor. But the reason I bought the mac in the first place was to work with the Adobe software.
Unfortunately now Adobe has the subcriptions, and it's just complicated things more...

Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
I'm impressed y'all are keeping this going.

the site seems to be having difficulties and Craig is in the middle of nowhere right now, but the #1 pick should be coming shortly. Craig's 5* hotel accommodations ;)

View attachment 213992

It's intersting that images will post in here, but not on the actual blog. (this was actually a test of that )
That is some fancy igloo.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
Everyone is driven by feelings.
We rationalize those feelings into convincing ourselves we made smart decisions.
That makes us feel better about ourselves.
And I try mostly unsuccessfully to convince myself that I have no feelings, only reel, justifiable needs!
Edit: I need an EOS R5 II, quick!
(And an RF 14mm T/S)

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Mine prefers Dell :(
Texas Instruments was a Dell shop as well when I worked there. They did have an awesome service contract, the Dell technician would come to you to fix the laptop. My laptop attempted to recreate the Ship of Theseus thought experiment in reality :)
This was before Dell had something like the XPS13, which my coworkers (2 employers later) who managed to get that liked very much.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

P-visie

EOS 5 - R5
CR Pro
Sep 14, 2020
Netherlands
www.p-visie.nl
And I try mostly unsuccessfully to convince myself that I have no feelings, only reel, justifiable needs!
Edit: I need an EOS R5 II, quick!
(And an RF 14mm T/S)
According to The Camera Insider, you might have to wait a while to satisfy your justifiable (and completely understandable :)) need for the R5 Mk II: “an announcement regarding the Canon EOS R5 Mark II is anticipated for the mid- to late summer of 2024”.
About the R1: “Canon is poised to initiate an extensive marketing campaign for the EOS R1, beginning this quarter with an Q2 expected to ship date”.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

illadvisedhammer

buggin out
CR Pro
Aug 19, 2015
My worst product of 2023 is .. from 2020 but I actually bought it, in 2023, so I might as well own up. Besides, we spent 13 pages mostly discussing cameras we'd never buy. When the Powershot zoom was on sale at CanonUSA for $99 I bit. I've carried it with me everywhere for a month now, and it sort of serves a use. When a peregrine started hanging out on campus it was fun to pass it around so people could look at it, but a colleague took a better photo holding a phone to their binoculars. That was just the comparison I was hoping would favor the dedicated camera, but it didn't.

• Wow
Upvote 0
Aug 10, 2021
My worst product of 2023 is .. from 2020 but I actually bought it, in 2023, so I might as well own up. Besides, we spent 13 pages mostly discussing cameras we'd never buy. When the Powershot zoom was on sale at CanonUSA for $99 I bit. I've carried it with me everywhere for a month now, and it sort of serves a use. When a peregrine started hanging out on campus it was fun to pass it around so people could look at it, but a colleague took a better photo holding a phone to their binoculars. That was just the comparison I was hoping would favor the dedicated camera, but it didn't.
Do you know what binoculars and phone were used?

Upvote 0
Nov 13, 2023
...or what they want to buy.

Of course the R100 seems like a total disaster from the perspective of more or less everyone on this forum, but I'm sure no one here is the target clientele for the R100.

It's amazing how many people can only see everything from their own perspective without considering the bigger picture.
A problem that is often the case here on CR, the inability to consider other's perspectives. What makes this thread an embarrassment is that it falls into the category of "I'm smarter and richer so I can make fun of those who buy this camera who are obviously stupider and poorer."

And, of course, the fact that they didn't understand that that is what they were saying only proves that they were, in fact, the stupider ones.

Upvote 0
Aug 10, 2021
A problem that is often the case here on CR, the inability to consider other's perspectives. What makes this thread an embarrassment is that it falls into the category of "I'm smarter and richer so I can make fun of those who buy this camera who are obviously stupider and poorer."

And, of course, the fact that they didn't understand that that is what they were saying only proves that they were, in fact, the stupider ones.
I wouldn't go that far. My interpretation is that to the R100 critics, the lack of features isn't equal to the savings verses the R50.

Considering what was available about 15 years ago, I don't agree. At least that savings on the body can buy an nifty fifty which is a step in solveing the slow rf-s complaint.
There was a time when you got a first camera and the only electronics were for triggering the hotshoe and a light meter. What was the kit lens?

Upvote 0

Dragon

EF 800L f/5.6, RF 800 f/11
May 29, 2019
Oregon

Actually, a lot of the problem comes from lack of breadth of exposure to the world at large. There were many comments by folks who felt that buying a camera with a last generation sensor was foolish, but those same folks fail to understand that there are literally billions of people out there who wouldn't know a CCD from a stacked CMOS sensor and frankly don't care. They just want a camera that will take nice pictures and is simple to operate. If you look on Amazon, there are 17 brands of P&S cameras that no one here has ever heard of and three (Kodak, Vivitar, and Minolta) that are licensed by one or another of the unheard of companies. China has taken over the P&S camera market and the cameras are generally cheap and will likely mostly take decent pictures. I suspect that with the R100, Canon is trying to pull some of that market over to recognize that there is a something more to be found in cameras at a price that is not off-putting. Note that the remaining P&S cameras from the majors are very expensive by comparison. The R100 is currently selling on Canon Refurb for $399 with kit lens and the G7x is $599 in the same place. Almost all, if not all, the no-brand cameras offer only 1080 video and JPEG stills, but the top-of-the-line "Minolta" is a 67x super zoom that has raw files available (according to the manual). That camera is similar to a Panasonic FZ80, but without the 4k video and it sells for $350, so the R100 is just a small step up in price with enormously better image quality and at least a little 4k capability.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
My perspective is that the 2017 M100 had a touchscreen, and the R100 doesn't. The M100 wasn't exactly a rich person's camera.

Upvote 0
Everyone is driven by feelings.
We rationalize those feelings into convincing ourselves we made smart decisions.
That makes us feel better about ourselves.
Pretty much everyone is driven in part by feelings, but not every decision is made based on them alone. Some people look at data too (sometimes).

Upvote 0