Archive for: EOS 5D Mark III
Canon EOS 6D w/24-105 f/4L IS Bundle
- Canon EOS 6D Body
- Canon EF 24-105 f/4L IS
- Canon Pixma Pro-100 Printer
- Pack of Photo Paper
- SanDisk 16gb SD Card
- $1999 after $400 mail-in rebate
Canon EOS 6D Bundle at B&H Photo $1999 (after mail-in rebate)
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Bundle
- Canon EOS 5D Mark III Body
- Canon Pixma Pro-100 Body
- Pack of Photo Paper
- SanDisk 64gb SD Card
- $2899 after $400 mail-in rebate
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Bundle at B&H Photo $2899 (after mail-in rebate)
You need to proceed through checkout to see the pricing.
Is the EF 24-105 f/4L IS Going Away?
The EF 24-70 f/4L IS will soon be kitted with the EOS 5D Mark III. I’m also hoping we’ll see it with the EOS 6D as well.
The release date for the new kit(s) is June 13, 2013.
As of writing this, we have no pricing. Expect to see some “white box” discounts on the EF 24-70 f/4L IS soon.
I haven’t heard anything in regards to the EF 24-105 f/4L IS getting discontinued, so I’d expect to see that lens in kits for some time to come.
EF 24-70 f/4L IS $1199
Magic Lantern is onto something…
There have been a lot of posts lately about Magic Lantern’s breakthrough enabling RAW video recording on the Canon EOS 5D Mark III.
Below is an ISO test of the standard H.264 of the 5D3, and what the RAW video from Magic Lantern looks like. This was done by Dustin J Tolman.
The results are pretty remarkable and easy to see, this software is still in its early stages and will probably get a lot better over the next few months.
An ISO test comparing Canons H264 compression vs Magic Lantern’s 14 Bit RAW hack.
• First I converted the RAW files with ML’s raw2dng.
• Next I dragged the files into Photoshop which opened up Adobe Camera Raw.
• I selected the first image and used the auto white balance setting which got rid of the heavy magenta tone.
• Then I synchronized the additional files, and exported them as 16bit tiff files.
• First I tried to use QuickTime 7 to create an image sequence, but it render the video with incorrect color.
• So instead of QT I ended up using Final Cut Pro X to create an image sequence to a ProRes 422 HQ output.
Canon 5dmk3 @ F8
Canon 70-200 2.8L IS II @ 200mm
Music – Soundgiant
Read more about this test at Planet5D.com | EOS 5D Mark III at B&H Photo
Canon Deals at B&H Photo
B&H Photo has posted new rebates for various Canon camera bodies and kits. The following deals run until June 22, 2013. Some of the kits include extra goodies, as well as 2% rewards and free shipping within the USA.
London, UK, 14 May 2013 – Canon today announces the release of a new in-camera Picture Style pre-set for its range of EOS DSLRs. Created following direct feedback from video enthusiasts, the new Picture Style, called Video Camera X–series-look, enables users to capture EOS Movie footage with lower contrast levels, allowing for easier colour grading during post production processes.
Similar to that available in Canon’s range of X-series camcorders, the new Picture Style works by lowering colour saturation levels and contrast during filming. This makes it ideal for videographers during post production grading processes, especially if complementing with pre-existing footage shot with Canon’s X-series models, or alternatively for those who instantly want to add atmosphere to Full HD movies. In addition, the new Picture Style can also be applied to still images captured in RAW or JPEG formats.
The new Picture Style can be downloaded now from: http://software.canon-europe.com/
From Magic Lantern
Magic Lantern has unlocked RAW video recording in the Canon EOS 5D Mark III. From early reports the quality of the video files is pretty amazing and might be better than the C300 and definitely better than the BlackMagic Cinema Camera.
You can read about the workflow, see sample videos and more at EOSHD.
Read Mor at EOSHD | EOS 5D Mark III at B&H Photo
A list of improvements in firmware version 1.2.1 is listed below.
- Uncompressed HDMI output is now enabled.
- Enables the center AF point to autofocus when the camera is used with Canon EF lens/extender combinations whose combined maximum aperture is f/8.
- Improves the speed of the camera’s acquisition of focus when using a Canon Speedlite’s AF-assist beam.
- Fixes a phenomenon in which the LCD monitor may freeze and display Err 70 or Err 80 when a still photo is taken during Live View or in movie shooting mode.
- Fixes a phenomenon that may occur when the continuous shooting priority setting is enabled for multiple exposures, such that, after the sixth image is taken, there is a slight pause before the remainder of the sequence is completed.
- Fixes a phenomenon in which the viewfinder display shows incorrect information during AEB shooting.
- Communication with the WFT-E7 Wireless File Transmitter has been improved.
- When images have been successfully transferred with the WFT-E7 Wireless File Transmitter through the FTP protocol, an “O” will be displayed. When images have not been successfully transferred with the WFT-E7 Wireless File Transmitter through the FTP protocol, an “X” will be displayed.
- Fixes a phenomenon in which the camera may not function properly when an Eye-Fi card is used.
- Fixes a phenomenon in which the focal length value listed in the Exif information is not displayed correctly for images shot with the EF 24-70mm F4L IS USM lens.
- Fixes a phenomenon in which the lens firmware cannot be updated properly.
- Corrects errors in the Arabic language menu.
- Fixes a phenomenon in which the camera changes the AF microadjustment value to -8.
- Fixes a phenomenon in which the on-screen guidance cannot be fully displayed when setting the maximum limit value for the “Setting the ISO Speed Range for Auto ISO” option.
Download from Canon USA | EOS 5D Mark III at B&H Photo
5D Mark III’s running the new firmware
We’ve received various reports that EOS 5D Mark III’s that have come back from Canon service in the last week are running firmware 1.2.1.
So I guess if you can’t wait until the 30th of April, you can drop your camera off to Canon!
From Canon USA
Canon has updated the product page for the EOS 5D Mark III and have stated April 30, 2013 as the release date for the new firmware that will include clean HDMI out and f/8 autofocus.
EOS 5D Mark III at Canon USA
Below are the links to the rebate programs at B&H Photo.
EOS Rebates Here | Lens & Speedlite Rebates Here
Canon USA will start a new rebate program on April 14, 2013. Expect more lenses and camera bodies to be on the rebate program this time around. You can also expect big savings on the EOS 5D Mark III.
We’ll post links to the rebate program as soon as they go live around the web. Our price watch pages (at the top right) will also reflect the new pricing as it goes live.
EOS Rebate Program
EF & Speedlite Rebate Program