A detailed specification list for the Canon EOS 7D Mark III has surfaced. This is a camera we reported on back in July and we were told that it was scheduled to come in the first half of 2018, though we haven’t received [CR3] confirmation of the timeline.
I think it’s a bit early to talk detailed specifications, but here’s what has popped up online anyway.
Canon EOS 7D Mark III Specifications:
- 30MP sensor
- 4K video/30p 1.4x
- 12 fps
- No AA filter
- 1D X Mark II focusing
- Tilting touch screen
- Built-in Wi-Fi
- Price around $2,000
A couple of readers have pointed out a couple of issues with this specification list.
- 30mp at 12fps would be much greater throughput that both the EOS-1D X Mark II and EOS 5D Mark IV currently have. Can dual DIGIC 7 processors handle this?
- No AA filter on a camera very targeted at birders could be problematic. I’d be interested in hearing what bird photographers think about this.
- SD and CFast? That would mean having to carry 3 memory card types if this camera is used to back up the EOS-1D X Mark II, which is quite common with the EOS 7D Mark II.
- We think 30mp is way too high for an APS-C sensor unless Canon has made great strides in lowering noise.
- We think a crop for 4K recording on an APS-C sensor would drive videographers crazy.
I’ll be treating the above as a wishlist until I can confirm otherwise.