Here’s the full list of gear Canon will announce on September 5

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
So some of these lenses have USM (ring USM i believe). Does that mean they will have full time manual focus override and no focus by wire? That would be amazing!

RIng USM = highly likely will do what you want (though there are a few FBW ring USM lenses if I recall, the 85 f/1.2L II being one of them)

Nano USM = likely won't do what you want (only two so far, and both were FBW)

But both above the above (and the old Micro USM) just get listed in the name as 'USM', so we won't know until launch.

Strong +1 on Ring USM + mechanical override. There's just something proprioceptive, tactile, etc. about it that I strongly prefer.

- A

Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2014
RIng USM = highly likely will do what you want (though there are a few FBW ring USM lenses if I recall, the 85 f/1.2L II being one of them)

Nano USM = likely won't do what you want (only two so far, and both were FBW)

But both above the above (and the old Micro USM) just get listed in the name as 'USM', so we won't know until launch.

Strong +1 on Ring USM + mechanical override. There's just something proprioceptive, tactile, etc. about it that I strongly prefer.

- A

I think the micro USM works only for small and light lens elements so i'm pretty confident these will be ring USM's.

Upvote 0

ken

Engineer, snapper of photos, player of banjos
CR Pro
Aug 8, 2016
Huntsville, AL
Well. Just woke up and all I can say is wow. This seems legit. If so what a bombshell. If all is as it seems the canon's 'Sexy solution' is a phenomonal effort of engineering and forethought. But for me the important question remains. Ergonomics. This thing could be the most highly specced camera ever seen but if it feels like a Sony I wouldn't touch it with a 10ft barge pole. And other than ergonomics I want to know what the EVF is like. I haven't had the opportunity to look at an A73 or A9 EVF but all the others I have looked through have not been sufficient.

I agree on older Sony models but I played with an A7iii recently and thought "I like the feel of this". I was switching between my 6D, an M50 and an A7iii. If you think the 6D is too small, you won't like the other two at all. The M50 was way too small for me to enjoy using for more than occasional shots (like my a6000). If I didn't own the a6000, I'd get an M50 just to have something small enough to carry almost anywhere. I don't love the size, but sometimes the smallness is needed. (Sneaking it into concerts...) I'm happy with the size of my 6D but I found the thickness increase of the A7iii (up from the the older A7ii, which I wasn't crazy about) made it feel pretty darn usable. I think I could really get used to it.

So my hope is that this new Canon is at least the size of the A7iii. :)

Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

https://brettguyphotography.picfair.com/
Dec 6, 2016
brettguyphotography.picfair.com
I agree on older Sony models but I played with an A7iii recently and thought "I like the feel of this". I was switching between my 6D, an M50 and an A7iii. If you think the 6D is too small, you won't like the other two at all. The M50 was way too small for me to enjoy using for more than occasional shots (like my a6000). If I didn't own the a6000, I'd get an M50 just to have something small enough to carry almost anywhere. I don't love the size, but sometimes the smallness is needed. (Sneaking it into concerts...) I'm happy with the size of my 6D but I found the thickness increase of the A7iii (up from the the older A7ii, which I wasn't crazy about) made it feel pretty darn usable. I think I could really get used to it.

So my hope is that this new Canon is at least the size of the A7iii. :)

I shoot with a 7d2 and find that perfect. Any smaller(ie 6d) is a compromise. I can accept that if it is really small and i get the benifit of a major size advantage but if that were the case I would go the whole hog and use an M5 etc. If I were to consider a full frame it would have to at least feel as good and have as good a button layout as a 7d2.. and that is where I think it may fall down for me unfortunately.

Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

https://brettguyphotography.picfair.com/
Dec 6, 2016
brettguyphotography.picfair.com
Seems like we're getting the big reveal in a few hours.

This thread will hit 50 pages tonight if CR guy just pumps the imminent to be posted pics into this thread.

- A
Yep. Pics are everything now. We need to see this thing.

Upvote 0
Offer a crop mode. Nikon and Sony both do. This is a fairly easy thing to implement, and now that the mirror is gone + EF is (possibly) native compatible, there's no reason not to.

If we are reading the tea leaves here incorrectly and it's a thin body + EF adaptor, then it would be thin body + EF/EF-S adaptor. Nothing mechanically would be a problem with EF-S on that adaptor if the mirror is gone.

- A

But do they want customers buying cheaper EF-S lenses instead of these new R lenses? Depends on relative pricing and how generous they're feeling, I guess.

Upvote 0

hmatthes

EOS-R, RF and EF Lenses of all types.
But do they want customers buying cheaper EF-S lenses instead of these new R lenses? Depends on relative pricing and how generous they're feeling, I guess.
I doubt people would buy EF-S instead of their RF counterpart (waste that much of the sensor!) BUT I will use a little EF-S pancake when wanting a stealth EOS-R for street photography (where megapixels mean naught!)

Upvote 0
Apr 23, 2018
Caution was warranted. Huge news if true.

THIN MOUNT + ADAPTOR?!

View attachment 180014

Noon Japan time is a little under 4 hours from now. I'd be hitting refresh on Nokishita's Twitter feed around then.

- A

lol. as i said. :)

Canon will not miss out on chance for small bodies. Canon read s this forum. They know i want one. And milllions and millions of other potential customers want as SMALL mirrorfree system too. .-)

Upvote 0

goldenhusky

CR Pro
Dec 2, 2016
Here are my speculations
The new mount will be called the RF mount
The future might be RF and EF-M Vs today's EF and EF-S
In order to use RF lenses on EF-M cameras you would need a new adapter. I am assuming the RF mount diameter will be 54mm same as the EF mount. (EF-M mount diameter is 44mm)
M.ADAP R --> Regular EF-M to RF adapter
M.ADAP R ND --> EF-M to RF adapter with ND filter (variable most likely)
M.ADAP R PL --> EF-M to RF adapter with CPL filter

Is there any patent from Canon for an electronic variable ND filter or an electronic CPL? if so that would make sense for the 3 variants of the filter. But it does not makes sense to make such filters for the EF-M mount.
Either way if the ND and CPL are electronic filters or not and if that is indeed the RF to EF-M addpter with filters Canon might have some plans for a great EF-M video camera in the future

On the specs of the camera
Most likely the new Full frame MILC is a lower end body i.e. the equivalent of 6D series.
Only one card slot. Hope they use SD UHS ll. I don't think Canon will use cFast or CFExpress in a lower end body but I would not be surprised if they decided to use CF cards. I know this might flare up a lot of criticism but most Canon 7D, 5D and 1D users should have CF cards already. one beauty of CF compared to SD card is CF is better at sustaining read and write speed at least in my practical use.
~28 MP.
7-10 FPS.
Variangle LCD display 50-50 chance.
4K30fps 50-50 chance.
If 4K is true chances of MPEG-4 AVC/H.264 are 50-50
AF in stills have to wait and see how this compares with DSLRs and other MILC competitors. I would not be surprised even if AF does not live up to 6D2 level.
DPAF in 1080p is obvious but 4K is 50-50 chance.
Don't be surprised 4k has the crop like 5D4. If this is a 24, 26 or 28 MP sensor then the crop factor will be less than 5D4
Lens mount might be thick same as EF mount.
RF mount will be same as EF but the RF lenses might protrude in to the body (meaning the mount is not at the rear end instead at about 28-32mm from the rear end in to the body of the RF lenses wherever necessary) to make a short flange distance. I know a lot of folks will hate this size camera but I don't. In fact I would like this body if this is as big as a 80D or a 6D2 because that will mean better ergonomics for me. I know that does suits all. I do not believe in the notion of MILC is for small bodys.
If the RF mount will be indeed like I guessed the overall length with a wide angle lens mounted on the body will be on par with other MILC systems. At the same time will not have an unnecessary empty tube at the end on the normal to tele lenses like other mirrorless lenses which will will the lens size competition;)
Since the RF mount can take EF lenses there is no need or a RF to EF adapter.
BG-E22 is body grip for this new camera. Sounds obvious.
I hope RF lenses are not Focus By Wire. If it is FBW I will whine about that but I will adapt them anyway :rolleyes:

If body is in deed a lower end body then RF 28-70F/2L and RF 50F1.2L does not makes sense but that will make sense as soon as Canon comes up with the next high end body.

That is a very conservative expectation knowing Canon is too conservative but I will be here bashing :p Canon if they do not even live up to these specs. That applies only for the camera specs not about the RF mount or adapters.

Disclaimer: All specifications are my wildest speculations and are subject to change without notice

Now these specs are true that will disappoint a lot of people and Canon is doomed will be heard all over the place but Canon will sell them by boat load because it is Canon well... may be not this time around.

Upvote 0
Apr 23, 2018
Am i completely in a different perspective? I will buy a new body ONLY because the new 28-70 F2...

I REALLY don't care about the body, if it will be between 6dmk2 and 5dmk4 sensor it will be good enough for me. The big news is the lens... it's an L lens... it's a zoom... and it's F2.0...

And still... no one is talking about this...

why is f/2.0 so important to you? I'd prefer a 20-85/4.0 any day over a 28-70/2.0 :).

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
THERE IT IS

canon_10.jpg

Upvote 0