Further Canon EOS R specifications [CR1]

Apr 25, 2011
Yes this is a really innovative concept by Canon and appeals to me similarly. It would be good if as you assume it is configurable. Even better if you could use another button on the body to cycle the function ring between different options, e.g. ISO and aperture
Yeah. On my ~7-year-old Canon Powershot S100 this button is called "RING FUNC."

Upvote 0
The more I think about this new R, the happier I am that I held out buying a 5d4.
I also think that with Canon colour and Canon ergonomics, this camera will kill the Sony 7's and the new Nikon.
A lot of those photographers that switched to Sony will rushing to come back to Canon.
That 28-70mm F2 lens sounds delectable too for indoor events without a flash.

Bringing out R versions of their most popular L lenses is very good. Most people want zoom lenses, and not a bunch of primes.

The top control dial is good on my M5, and I would imagine the one on the new R will be more sophisticated.
With the new slide bar and lens ring, we'll get a great to use camera.
If they can make it as fun to use as my M5, Canon is on an absolute winner and it will sell like hotcakes. Especially if you can use your thumb on the rear screen to focus while you look through the hopefully good EVF.
As soon as I've read some reports on it, I'll be pre-ordering one with that F2 zoom.

Upvote 0
Jan 12, 2011
The video specs sound promising which is worrying. What horrific crop or codec is waiting for us?

As someone else mentioned, the video specs do sound like a wishlist. They also don’t mention whether there is a crop.

If it has all those features and FF 4K no crop + 1080 120p, I would pre-order it on day one.

Like you, however, I am waiting for the shoe to drop- Canon has always been fearful of cannibalizing their video and higher end prosumer cameras.

Let’s see if they’re willing to go the distance this time- if they are bold and take a risk on the video along with the other seemingly innovative features here (which I applaud them for), they can own the stills / video hybrid market moving forward.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

LSXPhotog

Automotive, Commercial, & Motorsports
CR Pro
Apr 2, 2015
Tampa, FL
www.diossiphotography.com
I wonder if the 24-105 is macro (but only 0.75x magnification) like one of their current full frame kit lenses, and that's why it has lens IS. If so, the body could still be IBIS. I think if the body has IBIS than this definitely isn't going to be $1900, like earlier rumors suggest. Give me IBIS and BSI sensor tech and I'm down to pay 3 grand, and I'm only a hobbyist currently. This could be the godlike camera everyone has been waiting for from Canon.
The minimum focus distance on the new RF 24-105 is identical to the current 24-105 f/4L IS II USM, so it's not going to be terrible, but not outstanding either.

Upvote 0

goldenhusky

CR Pro
Dec 2, 2016
Source: Nokishita
Canon 'EOS R' spec sheet has been posted on overseas news websites.
EOS R

specification sheet
Number of effective pixels: 30.3 million pixels (Total number of pixels: 31.7 million pixels)
Image type: JPEG, RAW (14 bit), C-RAW
Dual pixel RAW support
EVF: organic EL, 0.71 times
AF point (when cross key is selected): 5,655 points
Distance measurement range: EV - 6 to 18 (23 ° C at room temperature · ISO 100 with F1.2 lens)
ISO sensitivity: 100 to 40000 (extended ISO: 50, 51200, 102400)
Shutter speed: 1/8000 to 30 seconds, valve
Continuous shooting performance: Up to 8 frames per second (at servo AF: up to 5 frames / sec)
Video: 4K30p, full HD 60p, HD 120p
Rear liquid crystal: 3.15 type 2.1 million dots touch panel
Battery: LP - E 6 N / LP - E 6 (LP - E 6 can not charge the camera USB)
Recording medium: SD / SDHC / SDXC card
Size: 135.8 x 98.3 x 84.4 mm
Weight: 660 g (including battery / memory card) · 580 g (body only)

Upvote 0