Flagship EOS R camera coming in February ahead of CP+? [CR1]

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
I would prefer with a new system that is looking at speed adopt the CFEpress card as the standard for all future R cameras at the very least. And if possible for all but the Rebel series new to come DSLRs.

CFexpress seems to be the only sensible choice, CFast is dead and XQD won't scale up to CFexpress speeds. Even better, CFexpress is backwards compatible, Nikon has said making their XQD cams work with CFexpress should be just a matter of a firmware update.

Assuming Canon goes for CFe and dual slots, what will the second slot use, SD, CFe or somethinge else?

Upvote 0
CFexpress seems to be the only sensible choice, CFast is dead and XQD won't scale up to CFexpress speeds. Even better, CFexpress is backwards compatible, Nikon has said making their XQD cams work with CFexpress should be just a matter of a firmware update.

Assuming Canon goes for CFe and dual slots, what will the second slot use, SD, CFe or somethinge else?
I'd like to see non-top of the line cameras (i.e. not 1Rx) have a standard SD card as 2nd card. The camera can then be set to copy things 'whenever there is spare cpu/bandwidth available". It's not a realtime copy so if it dies mid shoot you might lose a few pictures or minutes of video, but the tradeoff in cost would be worth it as you'd be able to capture more frames per second.

I actually think this would be a great setup to put in a battery grip as an accessory.

This could also be used as a "I'm going to go copyless- move all my existing stuff to the spare SD and free up more room for more video on the main card".

Upvote 0
Canon salesman, more likely. Sharper lenses don't magically create more megapixels on a sensor that's smaller than the 5DS/5DSR. Sure, if you're using a sub-standard lens on the 5DSR and comparing it with the EOS R you're going to get poor results. But a good lens on the 5DSR will outperform any option on the EOS R right now in terms of resolution.

Both the EOS R sensor and teh 5DS/r sensor are the same size (full frame). You're maybe confusing with pixel pitch size. Nonetheless your original point is right, I do not see the EOS-R giving the same detail and spatial resolution than the 5DS/r, whatever lens you put on the EOS-R

Upvote 0

jolyonralph

Game Boy Camera
CR Pro
Aug 25, 2015
London, UK
www.everyothershot.com
Both the EOS R sensor and teh 5DS/r sensor are the same size (full frame). You're maybe confusing with pixel pitch size. Nonetheless your original point is right, I do not see the EOS-R giving the same detail and spatial resolution than the 5DS/r, whatever lens you put on the EOS-R

Sorry, my sloppy wording. I of course meant a sensor with a lower resolution!

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Aug 21, 2018
My guess is that this will be a hybrid 5Ds and 5IV type. All EOS R goodies + dual card slot (CFast 2+ SD) and filterless 50MP sensor with joystick and extra buttons and a fully weathersealed body worthy of 1D/5D build quality..

it will record 4K video for sure, and will have a new 50mp sensor which, perhaps would bring full frame 4K in it. while burst speed will be around 5-6fps.

I don't expect Canon to put alot more features to it.
There's no way Canon will pull off a 50MP sensor with a full sensor (no crop) readout in 4K.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
I'd like to see non-top of the line cameras (i.e. not 1Rx) have a standard SD card as 2nd card. The camera can then be set to copy things 'whenever there is spare cpu/bandwidth available". It's not a realtime copy so if it dies mid shoot you might lose a few pictures or minutes of video, but the tradeoff in cost would be worth it as you'd be able to capture more frames per second.

I actually think this would be a great setup to put in a battery grip as an accessory.

This could also be used as a "I'm going to go copyless- move all my existing stuff to the spare SD and free up more room for more video on the main card".
+1 - No matter where you are in the world you gave a pretty good chance of quickly being able to find an SD card if you need one. The other card formats not so much. I'd prefer a camera that has at least one SD card slot. I don't mind backing up to it when I'm not using the camera if that improves performance. If that can be configured to happen automatically that sounds like a great idea.

Upvote 0
Jul 31, 2018
What about UHS-III ? Even UHS-II isn't that far behind CFexpress performance for much more reasonable card costs.

exactly. UHS-II should be absolute minimum standard today, UHS-III preferred. And instead of CFExpress i'd like to see SD Express. It's also PCI, only 1-lane, but plenty fast for anything. And in the physical space for 1 CF (Express) slot companies could fit dual SD (Express) slots ... or 8x MicroSD format, which is my preferred card format.

Upvote 0
May 20, 2013
What makes you think that? It could (and I guess it would make more sense at this point) to be 1Ds type camera, as I doubt they could match 1DxII's speed right now. Besides it would make more sense for a high-res body to be mirrorless for example thanks to more accurate AF, no?

The word flagship has been associated with the EOS 1D series since it was launched and the EOS 1 series of film cameras before that.

Upvote 0
Nov 2, 2016
This goes without saying...

Canon's processors are not known to be the most powerful or speedy chips out there, this is why (well partly) that there are so many limitations with video shooting.

Canon needs multicore CPU's or simply double up like on the 1DX II. I think we will definitely be seeing more than one CPU in any mirrorless that has real video specs and/or high speed stills capture.

Maybe they can find some Apple A12s that fell off the back of a truck.

Upvote 0

zim

CR Pro
Oct 18, 2011
Looks like two announcements to look forward too, just before CP+ a 5DS(R) series level R with release date and at CP+ announcing the development of a 1D series level R with no release date. The latter being more PR than anything as it's hardly a surprise that camera will/is being developed.
I'd expect a high MP R to be all about the sensor the rest of the spec to be very similar to the current R.
I'm not seeing any love for 7D users for now :cry:

Upvote 0

kaptainkatsu

1DX Mark II
Sep 29, 2015
Canon have said AF takes 0.05s on the Digic 8 processor of the current EOS-R. The Digic 8 in the EOS-R must also perform other tasks, so presumably, that's why the burst speed is so low. So 2 Digic 8 processors should be able to perform 20 fps and also the other tasks in parallel. It's not unheard of for Canon to put 2 Digic processors in a camera, so that could be a real possibility for the EOS-R.

5d4 has a Digic 6 and a Digic 6+ while the 1dx2 has a DIGIC 6 and 2x Digic 6+

Upvote 0