Teardown of the R-Camera

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
a question regarding the body material - is it polycarbonate or magnesium alloy?
Uncle Rog stated it quite early above the striped camera picture when he starts to remove the grip rubber:

Roger Cicala said:
The shell, BTW, seems to be a polycarbonate with a slightly rough surface

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Uncle Rog stated it quite early above the striped camera picture when he starts to remove the grip rubber:
He did, and that is the problem. The first comment posted an advertising photo of the stripped body from Canon claiming it is magnesium alloy. So, who has it wrong - Roger or Canon?

Upvote 0
Jun 12, 2015
Thanks for the heads up. The summary should be read by everyone debating the various options. There is a question regarding the body material - is it polycarbonate or magnesium alloy?

Canon states that it has magnesium alloy. The attached picture is from Canon USA website.

Attachments

• eos_r_08a.jpg
    eos_r_08a.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 119
Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
He did, and that is the problem. The first comment posted an advertising photo of the stripped body from Canon claiming it is magnesium alloy. So, who has it wrong - Roger or Canon?
Oh, sorry, Alan.
I didn't get your question right. Now I got it.
Canon states that it has magnesium alloy.
Thanks Lars for adding this.

If the magnesium alloy body is primed then it could look like the photo from LensRentals. If you look closely it seems to be painted.
If Canon does a marketing shot of and magnesium alloy body they will make it as shiny as above.
Magnesium alloy doesn't feel like typical metal because of its light weight and heat dissipation behavior.
Maybe this together with the primer is the reason why Roger was mislead, but I would expect him to know that. :unsure:

I can't believe Canon would claim for an magnesium alloy body if it was plastic instead.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jun 12, 2015
The weather sealing is worse than I thought though, and why bother to seal the buttons when the rest isn’t? Well, I was waiting for this teardown to known for a fact, and I’m glad I know. I’ll be a bit more careful with this than I was with my 1-series:ROFLMAO:

Canon has claimed weather sealing with confidence on this camera, something they historically speaking has been very careful with.

Therefore, despite not being impressively sealed, I expect the weather resistance to be fairly good, and in practice significantly better than Sony.

I agree though, I wouldn't trust it to be anywhere near a 1D-series.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

caMARYnon

EOS R
Mar 23, 2011
Oh, sorry, Alan.
I didn't get your question right. Now I got it.

Thanks Lars for adding this.

If the magnesium alloy body is primed then it could look like the photo from LensRentals. If you look closely it seems to be painted.
If Canon does a marketing shot of and magnesium alloy body they will make it as shiny as above.
Magnesium alloy doesn't feel like typical metal because of its light weight and heat dissipation behavior.
Maybe this together with the primer is the reason why Roger was mislead, but I would expect him to know that. :unsure:

I can't believe Canon would claim for an magnesium alloy body if it was plastic instead.

Mr. Cicala's answer to the same question : "It is magnesium alloy, as they say, but it's got quite a different feel to it."

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
Canon states that it has magnesium alloy. The attached picture is from Canon USA website.
They have said that, but, as Roger Noted, that shell really looks like polycarbonate in the photos he provides. Magnesium is pretty easy to spot unless they have some process to make it look like plastic, or a plastic coating to protect it from corrosion, which seems uber unlikely.

Upvote 0
Nov 12, 2016
The weather sealing is worse than I thought though, and why bother to seal the buttons when the rest isn’t?
Well, because it's a lot easier for water to seep in past an un-sealed button or dial than it is for it to seep through a seam of two pieces of plastic fastened to each other. I mean, the buttons and dials are literally holes in the top/sides of the camera. Of course those need sealing moreso than areas where there are two pieces of material tightly fitted against each other.

Upvote 0