Canon RF 24mm f/1.2L & RF 85mm f/1.2L in the works [CR1]

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
We’re told that beyond new f/2.8 RF zoom lenses, that Canon is working on two new L prime lenses, an RF 24mm f/1.2L USM and an RF 85mm f/1.2L for release in late 2019 or early 2020.
The Canon EOS R system launched with two primes, the RF 35mm f/1.8 IS STM Macro and the RF 50mm f/1.2L USM.
We find the RF 24mm f/1.2L an interesting choice for the lineup, especially with the speed of the lens. We wonder if a fast 35mm f/1.2L would be more popular. The 85mm f/1.2L for the RF mount would be a no-brainer.
More to come…

Continue reading...

razorzec

700D
Sep 16, 2016
Mars
Despite all the flak that their bodies have been receiving over the past few years, They're killing it with the lenses, and have been making other brand shooters salivate in envy.

Seems to me that the first main focus of the RF system would be fast lenses that cannot be seen off brand. It makes me wonder whether another F2 zoom would be in the works as well (i.e. 14-22 F2 or a 70-150 F2)

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

6degrees

RF 85mm F1.2
Sep 6, 2018
Can’t wait for those two, even thought I prefer RF 20mm F1.2.

My ideal setup would be:
- RF 85mm F1.2
- RF 35mm F1.2
- RF 20mm F1.2

But I can live, and be happy, with
- RF 85mm F1.2
- RF 24mm F1.2

I think Canon RF is just simply exciting.

One thing Canon should consider is to offer de-click option for the front Aperture ring.

Sony releases a very competitive price, $1398, for Sony 24mm F1.4 GM:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1435887-REG/sony_fe_24mm_f_1_4_gm.html

Canon should consider it and price RF L lenses reasonably in order to compete.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
Despite all the flak that their bodies have been receiving over the past few years, They're killing it with the lenses, and have been making other brand shooters salivate in envy.

Seems to me that the first main focus of the RF system would be fast lenses that cannot be seen off brand. It makes me wonder whether another F2 zoom would be in the works as well (i.e. 14-22 F2 or a 70-150 F2)
I agree about the quality of Canon lenses, but what do you mean by "lenses that cannot be seen off brand?" Canon claims EF lenses work fine with the RF mount, and there are plenty of fast lenses from Sigma. Are you saying that Canon is going to lock out third party lenses?

Upvote 0
These killer lenses are exciting to see and I'm glad they're working on them, but I hope they do some more pedestrian lenses, too…. I really like what Lieca did with a couple of their zooms, backing off from the constant-max-aperture taboo. This one http://us.leica-camera.com/Photography/Leica-SL/SL-Lenses/Vario-Lenses/VARIO-ELMARIT-SL-24-90 is a solid, usable lens I think. And if they relax the range a little it could be even more compact. In my mind a f24-75 f2.8-f4 would be a dream lens for travel especially. How 'bout it, Canon?

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

razorzec

700D
Sep 16, 2016
Mars
I agree about the quality of Canon lenses, but what do you mean by "lenses that cannot be seen off brand?" Canon claims EF lenses work fine with the RF mount, and there are plenty of fast lenses from Sigma. Are you saying that Canon is going to lock out third party lenses?

My apologies for not being clear there. What I mean is that Canon is producing "killer" lenses that may never be found on Sony's or Nikon's mirrorless systems. As much as the Sony fanboys outside this forum would deny, We all know Sony couldn't come up with their own AF F1.2 primes due to the size constraints of their small throat diameter let alone an F2 zoom, Nikon perhaps could build it but it may take a while as the 0.95 lens isn't that interesting for its lack of AF. I'm sure Sigma and Tamron could come up with F1.2 lenses for the RF and Z mount but I don't see them using the same optical formula for the E-mount..

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
My apologies for not being clear there. What I mean is that Canon is producing "killer" lenses that may never be found on Sony's or Nikon's mirrorless systems. As much as the Sony fanboys outside this forum would deny, We all know Sony couldn't come up with their own AF F1.2 primes due to the size constraints of their small throat diameter let alone an F2 zoom, Nikon perhaps could build it but it may take a while as the 0.95 lens isn't that interesting for its lack of AF. I'm sure Sigma and Tamron could come up with F1.2 lenses for the RF and Z mount but I don't see them using the same optical formula for the E-mount..
Got it!

Upvote 0
I'm in the minority. I want them to make slower, read "smaller and lighter," primes. These f/1.2 primes will all be 1Kg or heavier bricks on a small light body. Frustrating. It means that a lightweight FF mirrorless system is still many years away, until Canon gets around to making f/1.4 or f/1.8 lenses for this system.

You really NEED the patience of Job to stay with Canon.

Upvote 0

50 1.2 and 28-70 F2 definitely are stunner. They already patented 70-130 F2. I wouldn't be surprised they are working on 14-28 as well. I just hope they come out with 105 1.4 too.

Upvote 0