As many as 7 new RF lenses coming in 2019 [CR2]

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Unfocused, I think - unfortunately - that the release of the big whites in EF means instead that Canon does not intend to in the near future release DSLR-killing pro bodies, but rather DSLR-approaching pro bodies. Perhaps their current throughput and processor gives them only that option. Hope I'm wrong.

I suspect that limitations in viewfinder lag and battery life are also factors.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jul 16, 2012
Id see it more as canon knowing their market, ie there will be plenty willing to stay with a 1DX2 but wanting a new big white. Any new R would have to be convincingly superior rather than just roughly equivalent for that person to get both.

So big white stays EF for now as anyone wanting to use mirrorless can adapt anyhow, with the more general lenses going R first.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
A neat advantage of Oly and Pany is that they can have a buffer of shots stored while you are patiently focussing on a bird waiting for it to take off and when you do fire away after it has taken off because of your slow reflexes it has the 20 or so before you have fired and so you haven't missed the take off!
Well, I have an OLY and have no idea what you are talking about. However, I've had 4 strong beers (10% alcohol) and might understand tomorrow. ;) What I do know, in my inebriated state, is that comparing micro 4/3 to FF is stupid, in my opinion.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Rockskipper

Somewhere skipping rocks and taking photos
Apr 20, 2017
Well, I have an OLY and have no idea what you are talking about. However, I've had 8 strong beers and might understand tomorrow. ;)
I think he's saying that those cameras somehow mysteriously know to take shots w/o you so when you blow it you still have some good shots. I'm surprised Canon even has a chance when the competition uses that kind of AI. :)

Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
Well, I have an OLY and have no idea what you are talking about. However, I've had 4 strong beers (10% alcohol) and might understand tomorrow. ;) What I do know, in my inebriated state, is that comparing micro 4/3 to FF is stupid, in my opinion.

lol... I suspect Alan is talking about pro capture (or maybe it's called something different now). The thing where if you half press he shutter, it starts to record. When I tried it, it wasn't really my thing because I'm not shy about using the shutter button, and I prefer to use the back button to AF/AE.

Upvote 0

M_S

Jul 31, 2013
There was never an EF roadmap, we're no more in the dark now than we were a year ago. And what EF lenses are missing from the lineup at present that you need? It's a pretty mature ecosystem for almost all uses. It's only natural they should focus on an immature system at this point, but EF is still the way to go for most photographers at the present time (even if you're mounting them on an R body).
I doubt that there was "never" a roadmap. Anyhow, it would be of great help for me as a customer to know, if the company plans on supporting the EF format in the long term. Because this will have a great influence in my buying descision, now and in the future, and affects my brand loyalty. The question what is missing from the EF line is not as important as what should be improved, at least in my opinion. Some lenses don't performe as well on the 5dSR as on a lower MP cameras, 24mm II for example, for which I took the Zeiss Milvus 25 1.4 instead. The TS lenses 17mm and 24mm could benefit also from a refresh, as well as the 50 1.2. All of which are already out there, but will get their refreshments in the R-line sooner or later I suppose. But, as I said, nobody knows, because there is a lack of communication thereof which leaves a big question mark.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012

Rule 1 for posting on the Internet
Don't post when inebriated as you will end up writing something you regret and might make yourself look an idiot ;)

Go and Google Olympus Pro Capture, and see what you don't know and what you might be missing, and what a neat feature it would be on any Canon body. It's great for sports photography.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I think he's saying that those cameras somehow mysteriously know to take shots w/o you so when you blow it you still have some good shots. I'm surprised Canon even has a chance when the competition uses that kind of AI. :)

Rule 2 for posting on the Internet
Don't post when sober smart alec comments that backfire as people might think you are inebriated. ;)

Go and google Olympus Pro Capture or Panasonic Pre-burst

Upvote 0
There is only one sad thing IMO: RF lenses cannot be mounted on an EOS M camera so no upgrade path by buying RF lenses for EOS M (except someone finds a solution maybe with thin titanium based adapter components and some trick for making contact).
And it's a pity that you cannot mount the EF-M 32 on an EOS R for 4k video where it would be a great standart focal length with close to perfect IQ.

Hopefully Canon will make some fast tele lenses in EF mount for those who want to use their 5D and 1Dx cameras for an extended period - what about giving the customer a free EF2RF adapter with control ring if they buy above e.g. 2.0 200mm? Compared to the lens prices the adapter is nothing and gives the customer "future proof" lenses (and Canon maybe EOS R body sales).

Upvote 0

jolyonralph

Game Boy Camera
CR Pro
Aug 25, 2015
London, UK
www.everyothershot.com
I doubt that there was "never" a roadmap. Anyhow, it would be of great help for me as a customer to know, if the company plans on supporting the EF format in the long term. Because this will have a great influence in my buying descision, now and in the future, and affects my brand loyalty. The question what is missing from the EF line is not as important as what should be improved, at least in my opinion. Some lenses don't performe as well on the 5dSR as on a lower MP cameras, 24mm II for example, for which I took the Zeiss Milvus 25 1.4 instead. The TS lenses 17mm and 24mm could benefit also from a refresh, as well as the 50 1.2. All of which are already out there, but will get their refreshments in the R-line sooner or later I suppose. But, as I said, nobody knows, because there is a lack of communication thereof which leaves a big question mark.

I think there is a good chance we've already seen the last EF L series lenses. If we do see new lenses on the EF mount they're going to be minor updates of EF-S kit lenses but even that is pretty remote. Possibly replacements for the other big white primes if they were already in development and close to production, and, yes, I think that replacements for the TS 17 and 24 if they come in the near future would probably also be EF mount. But then that's it. Game over.

When Canon launched the EOS 650 in 1987 the world was full of Canon SLRs with the FD mount. How many new FD lenses did they launch after this? Only one - the FD 200mm f/1.8, and that was AFTER the lens had been launched on the EF mount. Only one! And converting an EF lens to FD was easy due to the flange distances, you pretty much just put on a new mount and add manual aperture control and you're done. Converting a new RF lens design to work on EF isn't viable except in general for >=135mm lenses.

The only thing that would make them go back to launching EF lenses would be if the EOS R was a spectacular commercial failure. But it doesn't seem that's the case.

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
This is not about comparing 4/3 to FF, it is about looking at features on the top model of a mature mirrorless system and speculating that when Canon introduces a higher end R camera, that it may have some of those features.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
The only thing that would make them go back to launching EF lenses would be if the EOS R was a spectacular commercial failure. But it doesn't seem that's the case.
The EOS R is already a commercial success. But the idea that Canon will stop releasing lenses for cameras that comprise the majority of the ILC market is ludicrous.

Upvote 0
The EOS R is already a commercial success. But the idea that Canon will stop releasing lenses for cameras that comprise the majority of the ILC market is ludicrous.

And just if the commercial success of the EOS R 1st attempt is vanishing in the next months ... today changing bodies is a little bit like changing film (sensor = film type/quality). The original EOS M was a much less advanced attempt to go into mirrorless compared to EOS R and it was incredibly cheap 6 or 12 months after release but the EOS M line survived all the "so much better cameras" and the EF-M 32mm is a good sign that this line has some bigger niche at least.

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
Yes,

This forum is heavily populated by those with higher end bodies and lots of L glass, but the big sellers for Canon are Rebels and kit lenses.

It is worth noting that the M system is now mature, with many bodies and a reasonable selection of lenses, yet in the world of crop shooters with entry level cameras the Rebels and their kit lenses are still selling well. People have a choice, and some go mirrorless while others go for a bit bigger form factor with a mirror. Those who go mirrorless with the M can get an adaptor and still use their EF or EF-S lenses. It is not unreasonable to expect that in the world of FF mirrorless that the same thing will happen.

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
When did they say that? Was that an official Canon announcement?

that was in one of the Canon officials interview when R system was just released. the message was: all resources are allocated to R system project in 2019, R system is important and Canon has to catch up with the market quickly. Hence no EF lenses for 2019. That does not sound like an end of EF. EF system is mature and can go for a year without an update.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Well, I have an OLY and have no idea what you are talking about. However, I've had 8 strong beers and might understand tomorrow. ;)
Rule 1 for posting on the Internet
Don't post when inebriated as you will end up writing something you regret and might make yourself look an idiot ;)

Go and Google Olympus Pro Capture, and see what you don't know and what you might be missing, and what a neat feature it would be on any Canon body. It's great for sports photography.
Ahhhhh.... Pro Capture is only on the Olympus 1 series. Not on my 5 Mark II :( Rats! And I look like an idiot, inebriated or not. ;)

Upvote 0
I suspect most buy lenses to use over the long term. Lens purchases are not impulse buys for most. Lenses that become available for sale will remain current for years. I suspect Canon knows this and plans accordingly.

Very true. However, I struggle to imagine someone buying RF lenses without buying an R camera. Yet EOS R isn't good enough for me, so I don't even think of buying RF lenses.
Prospective 'holy trinity' RF lenses and the whole prospective RF lineup don't make much sense until more R bodies are released - again, as a continuation of 5DMkIV, 5DSr etc.

Upvote 0