Canon EOS RP body price confirmed at $1299 USD, and we’re very happy about it

But a huge number of buyers (perhaps most of them) will be coming from EF mount cameras who already have a library of glass.

I wonder. What are the figures normally touted - the average user has one lens, a small minority have two, and the proportion of users with more than two lenses is vanishingly small. Can that last group be the target for a low-end, mass-market* product?

*admittedly, being FF, it's already a niche product, but within the context of FF it's surely mass market.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
This looks very promising, and I am thinking to replace my 6d with this. Just wondering does this RP have on-chip ADC or off-chip ADC?

As far as I know, Canon has not yet confirmed that it's the same sensor as the 6DII, but it's identical in resolution (both total and effective pixel counts), so I would expect that it is the same sensor. I believe that means off-chip ADC, unfortunately. Still a great sensor from what I hear from 6DII owners, but I was hoping for current generation sensor with on-chip ADC...

Upvote 0

PureClassA

Canon since age 5. The A1
CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
I wonder. What are the figures normally touted - the average user has one lens, a small minority have two, and the proportion of users with more than two lenses is vanishingly small. Can that last group be the target for a low-end, mass-market* product?

*admittedly, being FF, it's already a niche product, but within the context of FF it's surely mass market.

Well I didn't necessarily mean a huge library. 1-2 EF lenses are enough. I'm thinking about a lot of original 6D users that likely have at least the 24-105 or (one of the variants of) a 24-70.

Upvote 0
Well I didn't necessarily mean a huge library. 1-2 EF lenses are enough. I'm thinking about a lot of original 6D users that likely have at least the 24-105 or (one of the variants of) a 24-70.

Ah right. Well, maybe. I don't have any special knowledge. My inclination is that this camera is meant to tempt people from lower down the scale (APS-C), and especially bring in new users looking for a mid-range (mirrorless) camera to the Canon ecosystem. I feel like this forum privileges the idea of a getting a second body, or upgrading regularly, which I suspect is again a very niche pursuit (though no doubt of value to Canon for sales).

Upvote 0
As far as I kno? Canon has not yet confirmed that it's the same sensor as the 6DII, but it's identical in resolution (both total and effective pixel counts), so I would expect that it is the same sensor. I believe that means off-chip ADC, unfortunately. Still a great sensor from what I hear from 6DII owners, but I was hoping for current generation sensor with on-chip ADC...

It really seems there is same sensor as 6D2, but is it possible to tweak the sensor to get on-chip ADC? I'm not expert, I really don't know. I'm still pretty happy with my 6D sensor, but still, if I'm gonna upgrade the camera, I'd like to see some improvement in sensor, too.

Upvote 0
It really seems there is same sensor as 6D2, but is it possible to tweak the sensor to get on-chip ADC? I'm not expert, I really don't know. I'm still pretty happy with my 6D sensor, but still, if I'm gonna upgrade the camera, I'd like to see some improvement in sensor, too.

I'm not an expert, either. :p Pretty sure on-chip ADC requires different fabrication process, though, not just some optimizations to work with the flange distance or Digic 8 chip.

I can understand wanting some advancement in sensor if you already have a 6D. I kinda feel the same way. After seeing the improvement in the 80D over the 70D (which is what I shoot), I was really hoping to see that new sensor generation in the 6DII and EOS RP. I'm not to disappointed, though...finances are tight at the moment. By the time I've saved up enough, there'll be a body that suits my needs. Honestly, I only start longing for a newer camera in low-light situations. In adequately lit circumstances, I'm still quite pleased with the results I'm getting from the 70D...

Upvote 0
Sep 26, 2018

The other issue is that people with entry-level cameras will have mainly APS-C lenses, which *technically* work on the R, but will kill the resolution you get.

I still think they'll sell a ton of the RP bodies though.

Upvote 0

Mark D5 TEAM II

Proud N0ink 0wnz0r / crApple iFruitcake H4t3r
Mar 5, 2013
Tleilax, Thalim Star System
Doesn’t matter, those are the camera bodies that it competes with and are the options of buyers today.
Following your logic, nobody should be buying brand new bodies and just wait for the 1DX2 to drop down to $1K in 10 years time... :D

Upvote 0
As far as I know, Canon has not yet confirmed that it's the same sensor as the 6DII...

Dave Etchells/Imaging Resource: OK, so I'll just start in. We've been told that the EOS RP sensor is very similar to the one in the 6D Mark II. In what ways is it the same, and in what ways is it different?

Canon: Basically, it's the same sensor, except the microlenses are fine-tuned to be more optimized for the mirrorless system.

DE: Ah, that makes sense, you need to account for the different light angles with the shorter flange distance. But other parts, all of the sensor electronics, the circuitry, that's the same?

Canon: Yes.

https://www.imaging-resource.com/news/2019/02/13/juicy-tidbits-on-canon-eos-rp-interview-q-and-a

Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Canon: Basically, it's the same sensor, except the microlenses are fine-tuned to be more optimized for the mirrorless system.
Shockingly honest :LOL:

But not surprising. I'm curious what sort of effect this release will have on the80D/7d replacement and the M5 and M6 replacements. Those were all registered around the same time as the RP, so can we expect to gain a bit more info on those soon?

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Following your logic, nobody should be buying brand new bodies and just wait for the 1DX2 to drop down to $1K in 10 years time... :D

For years I've been trying to figure out what exactly is going on in your profile picture. I think as a public service you need to post a larger version on that image. :)

Upvote 0