Canon EOS RP body price confirmed at $1299 USD, and we’re very happy about it

The other issue is that people with entry-level cameras will have mainly APS-C lenses, which *technically* work on the R, but will kill the resolution you get.

Sure, but it's better than the old upgrade path from APS-C to FF DSLRs, where your EF-S lenses simply couldn't be mounted.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Mark D5 TEAM II

Proud N0ink 0wnz0r / crApple iFruitcake H4t3r
Mar 5, 2013
Tleilax, Thalim Star System
You can't buy it brand new on BH Photo.
Heck, using your logic, the Sony fangheys shouldn't even be buying any of the A7 bodies and just wait for the A9 to drop in price to $1299 in, maybe 5 years, assuming Sony would still be in the camera business at that time... :D:ROFLMAO:

Upvote 0
Heck, using your logic, the Sony fangheys shouldn't even be buying any of the A7 bodies and just wait for the A9 to drop in price to $1299 in, maybe 5 years, assuming Sony would still be in the camera business at that time... :D:ROFLMAO:
You're missing the point.

Whether it be last month's model or last decade's model it is immaterial.

Not everyone buys the latest camera on the market. Majority of buyers are price sensitive so if they find the RP too expensive then they go with a cheaper option.

Canon, Nikon, Sony and the other camera brands would go out of business if they solely cater to fickle enthusiasts who troll message boards.

So instead of calling people names add something substantial. to the discussion.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
You didn't understand my reply? You might have asked.

Costco sells EOS 80D. I see no reason for Canon not to sell EOS RP through them too.
Sorry, I thought you were trolling.

BH sells the 80D.

Canon may have better terms and better sales with dealers like BH Photo and just approach Costco when they have saturated that channel.

I provided a list of camera bodies that are priced closest to the RP. A lot of consumers just look at the price tag and do not care whether it was just announced or end of life so long as it is affordable.

Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

https://brettguyphotography.picfair.com/
Dec 6, 2016
brettguyphotography.picfair.com
I wonder. What are the figures normally touted - the average user has one lens, a small minority have two, and the proportion of users with more than two lenses is vanishingly small. Can that last group be the target for a low-end, mass-market* product?

*admittedly, being FF, it's already a niche product, but within the context of FF it's surely mass market.

I guess i am one of those few with the galss that will consider this. Started with 700d qhich i now use as a backup body and then graduated to a 7d2. Have the 50 1.8, 24-70 2.8, 70-200 2.8, sigma 150-600c and the ef100 macro. As I predominantly focus on wildlife photography i will consider this for a second body for landcapes and other non action stuff and replace my 700d with it. It doesn't need all the bells and whistles for my purposes.

Upvote 0

Mark D5 TEAM II

Proud N0ink 0wnz0r / crApple iFruitcake H4t3r
Mar 5, 2013
Tleilax, Thalim Star System
You're missing the point.

Whether it be last month's model or last decade's model it is immaterial.

Not everyone buys the latest camera on the market. Majority of buyers are price sensitive so if they find the RP too expensive then they go with a cheaper option.

Canon, Nikon, Sony and the other camera brands would go out of business if they solely cater to fickle enthusiasts who troll message boards.

So instead of calling people names add something substantial. to the discussion.
You also miss the point. If you can't or won't buy the body you like because it's expensive, wait for it to come down in price. Why bother with these entry-level & midrange models if it doesn't satisfy your needs. Wait for your dream body to go down to the price you can afford. You just argued that you agree with me.

Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
Canon may have better terms and better sales with dealers like BH Photo and just approach Costco when they have saturated that channel.

I provided a list of camera bodies that are priced closest to the RP. A lot of consumers just look at the price tag and do not care whether it was just announced or end of life so long as it is affordable.
A lot of consumers (especially from the EOS RP target market) don't look at B&H, but visit Costco every week or two.

Costco means volumes. If Canon (unlike Sony) can deliver the volumes that are meaningful to Costco, Costco is a very good channel to promote EOS R brand.

But of course, Canon has nothing to sell there (yet) until RF 24-240 is ready.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
For years I've been trying to figure out what exactly is going on in your profile picture. I think as a public service you need to post a larger version on that image. :)
Ran it through my special software. It's a soft taco, no cheese.

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    6.3 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
I think Canon is going to eviscerate Sony's already abysmal market share with all this. Besides, Canon charges more because Canon can actually provide better ergonomics, timely service, and has done away with the annoying hand warmer and drain hole Sony provides. Gonna be interesting to see the numbers at the end of the year. This camera will be a huge seller, I think.

Last edited:
Upvote 0