Canon EOS-1D X Mark III field testing has begun [CR2]

I've been a Canon shooter since 1983 (and still own my old 1984 F-1 New). The X-bodies are the ultimate sports/wildlife photography instrument. As much as I adore my smaller stable of Sony alphas (including the fabulous a9), I always look forward to the next X.

That being said, I was disappointed when Canon seemed to aim for the low branches with the R-series, and I doubt that many Canon pros will desert their Xs—and the far, far more expensive glass; 200-400 1.4x, 500, 600, 800) for the R-series unless the converter performance is seamless.

I know many of you will cry about the vaunted 5-series—and I own a MkIII as well as a 5DsR—but those bodies are not in the same league as the X-bodies. (Dunk your 5D Mk whatever into the near-freezing waters of the Arctic and get back to me. My 1D X survived to tell the tale.)

My a9 can compete with the X only on performance; it's not even close when it comes to durability. An R X body might draw some Sony shooters who moved—partially (like me) or entirely—back into the Canon fold, although I've got quite an investment in Sony and Zeiss glass and will probably use my alphas for studio shoots regardless.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
Sony appears to have done that with their A9. Canon has at least 2 more RF bodies to release within 17 months.

I looked pretty hard at the sidelines during Superbowl, and I didn't spot any Sony A9's. Really, I didn't see much other than Canons and big whites. I think the sports photographers will be very reticent to switch to EVF until it proves that it can do something useful for them beyond the 1DX and not lose any of the 1DX functionality -- big and heavy to counterbalance a big and heavy lens, extremely rugged, very fast autofocus on a specific point even with extenders, and produces gorgeous photos when the ideal lens for the job is mounted .
Canon IBIS https://www.canonrumors.com/canon-has-appeared-to-confirm-ibis-is-on-the-roadmap/
It would be a pleasant surprise if the 1DX3 will be a DSLR.
I'm not trying to be cute here, but of course 1DX3 will be a DSLR. If it were a mirrorless, it wouldn't be a 1D :)

Upvote 0

Besisika

How can you stand out, if you do like evrybdy else
Mar 25, 2014
Montreal
Great! Let's see if they can fit 4K FF with 60p, no crop, and C-Log into it ;)
It doesn't really matter to me. As long as it can bokeh the kids better than Sony, I am buying it. I have been disapointed by specs lately so I decided I will focus on bokehing everything nowadays. Healthier.

Upvote 0
Having only owned my 1DX2 for two years, this is what I'd like in the 1DX3:
(in no particular order)

1.few more mp
2. intervalometer
3. better video codec for smaller file sizes
4. c-log
5. wifi
6. vari angle tilt screen
7. focus peaking
8. eye af
9. 2x c fast slots

its a lot to ask, but then I'm already happy with my 1DX2.

Upvote 0
Sep 11, 2018
I was responding to previous poster. Thanks for posting it out of context...jeez.

I don't care what you use or shoot with.

Oh c'mon.
Your camera decision is a saga on here.
One minute your halfway out the door, next your back. I was genuinely interested what you decided to go with in the end.
I also think you should plump for something and get out and shoot.

Upvote 0
Oh c'mon.
Your camera decision is a saga on here.
One minute your halfway out the door, next your back. I was genuinely interested what you decided to go with in the end.
I also think you should plump for something and get out and shoot.

What make you think I don't go out and shoot. It isn't like my existing DSLR camera stop working while waiting for what's coming out in 2019.
I don't mind waiting until all manufacturers show their next generation before I jump into FF mirrorless. I'll be buying into the lenses and camera. I want to buy more than 1 camera so I want to make an inform decision.

I won't tell anyone what I decided to go with. Unless you have the same priority as me, it's not going to be helpful.

Just use whatever works for you. I don't care. You shouldn't care about I shoot either.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The point I am making is that the technology's there from Sony. Whether sports photogs have enough $ set aside to switch is another matter all together.

If Sony can manage to make a sports body like a A9 then it wouldn't be that far fetch for Canon do the same within 17 months for the Olympics.

Canon & Nikon release their pro bodies a few months before the Olympics and not the Superbowl.

I looked pretty hard at the sidelines during Superbowl, and I didn't spot any Sony A9's. Really, I didn't see much other than Canons and big whites. I think the sports photographers will be very reticent to switch to EVF until it proves that it can do something useful for them beyond the 1DX and not lose any of the 1DX functionality -- big and heavy to counterbalance a big and heavy lens, extremely rugged, very fast autofocus on a specific point even with extenders, and produces gorgeous photos when the ideal lens for the job is mounted .

I'm not trying to be cute here, but of course 1DX3 will be a DSLR. If it were a mirrorless, it wouldn't be a 1D :)

Upvote 0
That's why I referenced confirmation bias. You are taking a bunch of unrelated factoids and using them to draw a conclusion about the future of DSLRs that supports your own bias. Canon officials have made public statements that they do not see mirrorless as a replacement for DSLRs. Canon doesn't know if mirrorless will ultimately replace DSLRs. If they don't know, I don't understand why you seem to be so certain.
Excuse me but those are all related. It would not bode well for Canon to just say that "we are not developing EF system further" as it will cause an Osborne Effect.

That is a reason why Canon is releasing the RF bodies nearing the end cycle of DSLR full frames.

Other than the news items I mentioned the products released and announced thus far support my informed opinion that R&D resources are being focus on the RF system.

Until such a time that Canon releases another EF body or EF lens costing less than $5,000 then the future develop is just for RF.

This does not mean Canon will stop producing any of their DSLR bodies, lenses or accessories. Neither does it mean everything you've bought will stop working.

I do understand why you don't want a 1DX3 mirrorless. Adaptors sucks and adjusting to something new and unfamiliar is a hassle. But for Canon, Nikon, Sony, Panasonic to stay in DSC business they must make products the public will buy. So far 2014-2018 CIPA shipping data shows a decline in DSLR sales and an uptake of MILC while the whole DSC shipments declined from 2010-2018.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
All this shows is that Canon is still fully-committed to dSLR's and Mirrorless. There's room for both. Why must one win over the other? There are countless of dSLR's still in use today and I'm sure someone has made a determination that they will still be a market worth selling to.

I'm happy to see this.
No need to worry, supply of DSLR bodies, lenses and accessories will continue so long as there is sufficient demand.

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
Excuse me but those are all related. It would not bode well for Canon to just say that "we are not developing EF system further" as it will cause an Osborne Effect.

That is a reason why Canon is releasing the RF bodies nearing the end cycle of DSLR full frames.

Other than the news items I mentioned the products released and announced thus far support my informed opinion that R&D resources are being focus on the RF system.

Until such a time that Canon releases another EF body or EF lens costing less than $5,000 then the future develop is just for RF.

This does not mean Canon will stop producing any of their DSLR bodies, lenses or accessories. Neither does it mean everything you've bought will stop working.

I do understand why you don't want a 1DX3 mirrorless. Adaptors sucks and adjusting to something new and unfamiliar is a hassle. But for Canon, Nikon, Sony, Panasonic to stay in DSC business they must make products the public will buy. So far 2014-2018 CIPA shipping data shows a decline in DSLR sales and an uptake of MILC while the whole DSC shipments declined from 2010-2018.
And an additional point: we may be approaching a discontinuity in the development of digital cameras. Sensors can only progress so far and we are essentially at the point where improvements are minimal, but advances in computing continue. Look at the latest from Panasonic and Oly..... lots of computing power is going to be one of the defining features of high end cameras. I wonder what this one will be packing?

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

dtaylor

Canon 5Ds
Jul 26, 2011
There's little chance that they could get a 1DX level R body out before the games, and even less chance that they could get photographers to switch. A comprehensive selection of R sports lenses won't be there either.

Not to mention...DSLRs still out sell MILCs by a wide margin.

The mirrorless "push" has been perplexing to me in light of this. Yes...I know there are advantages. Yes...I know EVFs continue to improve. Yes...I know that by the end of this decade all new cameras will likely be mirrorless.

But right now I still prefer OVF for some things. And right now the ergonomics of a DSLR are still better with big lenses. And I hope Canon continues to service that market until mirrorless really can replace flappy mirrors.

Upvote 0

Jethro

EOS R
CR Pro
Jul 14, 2018
Canon may have run out of sensors to recycle anyway.
Well, if this rumour is true, they might have an (excellent) 1DXii sensor to slot into one of their 'pro' R bodies, at no development cost again. A pro R body positioned in theory above the 5Div, and below the new 1DXiii, and aimed at those wanting to upgrade from the old 5Div and open to a mirrorless alternative. Sounds very in line with the marketing strategy to date.

Upvote 0

PureClassA

Canon since age 5. The A1
CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
Having only owned my 1DX2 for two years, this is what I'd like in the 1DX3:
(in no particular order)

1.few more mp
2. intervalometer
3. better video codec for smaller file sizes
4. c-log
5. wifi
6. vari angle tilt screen
7. focus peaking
8. eye af
9. 2x c fast slots

its a lot to ask, but then I'm already happy with my 1DX2.

Add 4K HDMI output to that. That my biggest complaint with mine. No excuse not to have that in the DX2 that is supposed to be a flagship. Firmware update appreciated.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
1. Few more mp (24-28)
2. Intervalometer
3. Better video codec for smaller file sizes
4. c-log
5. Wifi (with much better and more controls)
6. Vari angle tilt screen (not swivel)
7. Focus peaking
8. Eye af
9. 2x c fast slots
10. Clean uncroped 4K HDMI output (4:2:2 10 bit)
11. .CR3
12. Illuminated buttons
13. USB-C
14. Fully functioning touch screen in all modes
15. 240fps 1080
16. Same battery (not a derivative N MkII)
17. Lighter

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Canon AF on all fronts is behind the competition; I hope this tide turns. AF is what put them on top way back.
It depends on what you shoot. I do not believe all these people would be shooting with sub par AF.
Screen Shot 2019-02-21 at 11.32.25 PM.pngScreen Shot 2019-02-21 at 11.33.38 PM.png

Now when the 1D MkIII AF was genuinely suspect the white to black lens ratio changed drastically, now, very heavily leans to the white for the highest end pros that live and eat by their AF performance.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Sorry Dolina, but new DSLRs are going to be released for at least the next 10 - 20 years, at least.
My next new camera will be a DSLR and this will continue for some time forwards.
There are just so many reasons that mirror slappers are still superior to milcs, that it will be at least 5 years until they are as good for many pros.

A year or so ago, Canon execs said they were developing new sensors that are at least as good as their competitors'.
I hope the new 1dx3 will show off its new sensors as well as class leading, uncropped 4k.

Upvote 0