Canon instant cameras on the way?

LDS

Sep 14, 2012
Why would you think there’s not a market for an Instax competitor?

I didn't know the number - I guessed it was profitable as Fuji kept on investing on it , but I didn't know how large it was - with those number there could be space for other players as well, although IMHO it's a market with a strong "fashionable" factor, and Canon should play its cards well.

Upvote 0
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Sep 26, 2018
Canon and low price dont mix.

Why do you say that? Canon makes some amazing inexpensive DSLRs and cheap APS-C lenses. Even EF lenses are cheaper than their equivalent lenses from Sony or Nikon. You can make the argument about some of the higher end bodies, but cheap stuff is Canon's bread and butter, it's how they fund all their R&D.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

ethanz

1DX II
CR Pro
Apr 12, 2016
ethanzentz.com
Why do you say that? Canon makes some amazing inexpensive DSLRs and cheap APS-C lenses. Even EF lenses are cheaper than their equivalent lenses from Sony or Nikon. You can make the argument about some of the higher end bodies, but cheap stuff is Canon's bread and butter, it's how they fund all their R&D.

I think he is just upset that the features he wants are not low priced.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

RayValdez360

Soon to be the greatest.
Jun 6, 2012
Philadelphia
I dont know those. a lot of those cheaper cameras seem like recycled parts they rebadge to keep the price the same. the only decent cheap thing i seen from them lately that was new were those pancake lenses. i wish they could make more of those.

Upvote 0
Sep 26, 2018
I dont know those. a lot of those cheaper cameras seem like recycled parts they rebadge to keep the price the same.

That's how Canon keeps prices low on their entry-level stuff. They take mature tech from their higher-end lines and re-use it on lower-end cameras. Since they already have the tooling set up, the incremental cost to run off a bunch of the same parts is low. Like the T7i seems to use the same AF sensor as the 6DII/80D. I assume the SL2 also has a bunch of recycled stuff, but I haven't looked into the specs closely.

Do you expect every camera to be completely designed from scratch?

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Sony? They're still selling the A7II, and it can be had for $998 right now.
Yeah, and the 6D MkI is the same price (or if you prefer, gray market for $920). Oh, and I can get a used, non-functional 5D for like 50 bucks on eBay.

But fine, you got me. I should have specified current FF camera. Or better yet, cheapest launch price for a FF camera.

Upvote 0
Jan 12, 2011
Fixed that for you. ;)
Polaroid ceased production of instant film in 2008; Fuji started marketing their version and is responsible for the resurgence in popularity it’s seeing now.

I very much doubt Canon would be bringing out these cameras without Fuji showing them the way.

See, I fixed that for you ;)
Fixed that for you. ;)

Polaroid ceased production of instant film in 2008; Fuji started marketing their version and is responsible for the resurgence in popularity it’s seeing now.

I very much doubt Canon would be bringing out these cameras without Fuji showing them the market. (Just as Sony showed Canon the market for FF mirrorless.)

See, I actually fixed that for you ;)

Upvote 0
Canon has long been about the only manufacturer to put printers in small handheld calculators, so they have the technology to put one in a camera. However, I doubt if there is a market, because the big thing is to post images online, not have prints in your wallet or purse.
This holds true in "our" world but for travel photographers who make portraits from people it would be great to give them a print if the guest land is not well connected to the worldwide web.

For me a small IVY printer would perform much better: Just print the image from a real camera via a Wifi printer in postcard size - size means size of the print!

Upvote 0

Architect1776

Defining the poetics of space through Architecture
Aug 18, 2017
Williamsport, PA
Sony as a full frame camera for cheaper and supposed as a better sensor. IJS......

Sony color science sucks, their insane menu system is even worse, nearly impossible to navigate just to make a shot.
As Canon said with the AE-1, It is simple. Canon looks at UI not how much garbage for losers who just want garbage for bragging.
PS the sensor is only very slightly better at base ISO then Canon crushes Sony sensors as you go up in ISO including the holy grail of DR. Check it out some time and see how they utterly fail as you go up to where real users need to go in tough situations. When the going gets tough the tough get going leaving the bells and whistles in the dust.

Upvote 0

RayValdez360

Soon to be the greatest.
Jun 6, 2012
Philadelphia
Sony color science sucks, their insane menu system is even worse, nearly impossible to navigate just to make a shot.
As Canon said with the AE-1, It is simple. Canon looks at UI not how much garbage for losers who just want garbage for bragging.
PS the sensor is only very slightly better at base ISO then Canon crushes Sony sensors as you go up in ISO including the holy grail of DR. Check it out some time and see how they utterly fail as you go up to where real users need to go in tough situations. When the going gets tough the tough get going leaving the bells and whistles in the dust.
I am not saying all that. I am just stating the compeition has a lower priced decent FF camera. It just defends my statement that the price might not be "low" in that perspective.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
I am not saying all that. I am just stating the compeition has a lower priced decent FF camera. It just defends my statement that the price might not be "low" in that perspective.
Yes, the prior generation Sony a7II is under $1000. So is the prior generation Canon 6D. Who has the least expensive current FF camera? Canon. So what you're 'just stating' is wrong. Well, unless your premise is that the a7II is priced one dollar less than the 6D...in which case you are technically correct, but making yourself look rather foolish.

Upvote 0