Canon claims top share of press cameras used at the Olympic Games Tokyo 2020

Sony Northrop is in meltdown
Ever since I came across his (their?) stock photo portfolio , I can't take this guy seriously (won't post the link but Google Tony Northrup Shutterstock for a guaranteed laugh)

Why people follow these two still boggles me but they've sure found their audience and have a massive following so I guess they must be doing something right.

IMO, good youtubers, mediocre photographers, excellent click baiters.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Whilst the connection does have some benefit it must make you wonder how much of an impact ‘x’ news agency using a camera has on sales when people are much more easily ‘influenced’ by ’influencers’ that are much cheaper to cultivate and target a more specific section of those target markets.

Basically for the same money Canon can send out dozens of ‘test’ cameras to influencers that talk person to person with millions of engaged and interested buyers and aspirational buyers or do a deal with a news agency that as has been pointed out is much smaller than it used to be and has a much lower level of engagement for potential camera buyers.
You make a very good point, and it's something I've thought about when people mention the AP and other agencies switch.
How good a PR stunt is it really? I used to think that a very good one. Then thinking a bit more logically, considering how "infoxicated" today's world is, whatever deal Sony (or any other) strikes today, won't be but a blog entry on page 43 that no one ever reads again.

Sadly it is the influencers that can drive sales regardless of their skills as photographers/videographers. One Peter M or Jared P can do the job of a whole team of seasoned pros in terms of exposure and marketing. I don't see the average consumer looking to buy something on the M level looking at the Olympics sidelines or press conferences to see who shoots what. They will however go to YouTube and search for "best camera for beginners", "best mirrorless under 1500$". . .only to be presented with a Fro, an orange and teal moody edit and LOADS of affiliated links. . .

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Yikes! If that is true, I'd hate to see what is being posted on those sites.
Discussions in the news section here have improved a lot after the dynamic range trolls stopped posting. But have a look at the 'Lens Gallery', dragonfly and butterfly sections here, it shows people actually taking pictures and enjoying photography :)

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0