The Canon EOS R3 at the Tokyo Olympic Games

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
In case you hadn’t heard, a little camera company named “Canon” has a new mirrorless camera coming in the near future, it is called the Canon EOS R3. This new camera is in the camera bags of photographers at the Tokyo Olympic Games that opened today with athletes waving to seats.
One photographer that has the Canon EOS R3 in his bag is the highly-regarded Jeff Cable. Jeff has had the pleasure of shooting the Olympics in Beijing, Vancouver, London, Sochi, Rio de Janeiro, PyeongChang, and now Tokyo.
Jeff Cable’s Gear for the Tokyo Games || EOS...

[url=https://www.canonrumors.com/the-canon-eos-r3-at-the-tokyo-olympic-games/]Continue reading...

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Feb 5, 2020
Curious, and unrelated to cameras. If thongs are better for athletics, why don’t the guys wear thong speedo’s? I know I’m not has young as I used to be, and this is not a complaint. I just don’t understand why an athlete would want to expose their bare bum to the entire world. I’d opt for full coverage, but I guess my pasty white behind isn’t much to look at either.

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Curious, and unrelated to cameras. If thongs are better for athletics, why don’t the guys wear thong speedo’s? I know I’m not has young as I used to be, and this is not a complaint. I just don’t understand why an athlete would want to expose their bare bum to the entire world. I’d opt for full coverage, but I guess my pasty white behind isn’t much to look at either.
I'm not sure, I'd like to think it's more than just "selling".

Upvote 0

H. Jones

Photojournalist
Aug 1, 2014
No, it's a secret! Photographers are under an NDA and I doubt they can even post full resolution images.

As much as I agree, I doubt Canon is going to make the top agencies cripple the images they sell if they use the R3. Maybe they'd ask them to remove Metadata, but I'm sure GettyImages isn't being asked to downsize their images to send to Team USA or sell, at the worst you can pretend it was an EOS R5 image that has been cropped down.

i've been following the resolution of files that Getty Images posts on their database since all of their equipment is Canon, including the R3, for their partnership, and there's tons of files over 21 megapixels being posted that can't be taken with a 1dx3, but there's nothing saying these files aren't taken with the R5, so I can't imagine they have to fudge their image quality to satisfy an NDA.

Upvote 0

frjmacias

EOS R5 and EOS M50
May 14, 2020
Monterey, California
I am still a little sad that it is obvously smaller than the 1D X Mark III. That makes it look less professional.
I know this was sarcasm, but I think the size is perfect for me on a Goldilocks level. Rugged and ergonomic, but smaller to maneuver around more easily.

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

FrenchFry

Wildlife enthusiast!
Jun 14, 2020
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

jam05

R5, C70
Mar 12, 2019
As much as I agree, I doubt Canon is going to make the top agencies cripple the images they sell if they use the R3. Maybe they'd ask them to remove Metadata, but I'm sure GettyImages isn't being asked to downsize their images to send to Team USA or sell, at the worst you can pretend it was an EOS R5 image that has been cropped down.

i've been following the resolution of files that Getty Images posts on their database since all of their equipment is Canon, including the R3, for their partnership, and there's tons of files over 21 megapixels being posted that can't be taken with a 1dx3, but there's nothing saying these files aren't taken with the R5, so I can't imagine they have to fudge their image quality to satisfy an NDA.
For what it's worth, obviously the resolution is good enough for the application. If not there's the R5. Not many photographers contracted by any of the sports organizations are using only one camera. Most are using at least 3. Some as many 9 cameras remoted.

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2015
Imagine watching Usain Bolt ripping down the lane wearing a Borat mankini !! o_O

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
There is also a cultural aspect to uniforms. It is not 100% based on performance. The Sumo wrestling competition makes that more apparent.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0