Canon Introduces Two New UHDgc 2/3-Inch Portable Zoom Lenses Designed For 4K UHD Broadcast Cameras

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Press Release:
Two New Lenses Deliver Key Features for the Broadcast Industry: High Image Quality and Mobility
MELVILLE, NY, April 2, 2019 – Canon U.S.A. Inc., a leader in digital imaging solutions, today announced the launch of two new additions to its UHDgc series of portable-zoom 4K UHD broadcast lenses: the CJ18ex28B and CJ15ex8.5B. These new lenses are compatible with 4K UHD broadcast cameras that have 2/3-inch sensors. Both lenses provide 4K UHD imaging quality at a price point that is affordable to the majority of the broadcast market. Additionally, the new lenses provide impressive UHD optical performance, while maintaining a compact and lightweight design to meet versatile and ever-changing needs of a broad range of video productions including documentaries, sports, events and news coverage.

The new Canon CJ18ex28B and CJ15ex8.5B portable zoom lenses utilize Canon’s proprietary optical design technology featuring materials such as fluorite and Ultra-Low Dispersion (UD)...

Continue reading...

Mar 25, 2011
I was watching the NCAA Basketball playoffs when a TV camera with a Canon 50-1000mm zoom appeared on one side of the image. Really a long lens and black color. It was not a box type, but round and apparently portable, but I could only see the lens, not how it was mounted. The price for one of those is not very affordable for most indivitual TV station broadcasters to use, but for Sports networks like ESPN, they probably have several or dozens even.

Upvote 0
I was watching the NCAA Basketball playoffs when a TV camera with a Canon 50-1000mm zoom appeared on one side of the image. Really a long lens and black color. It was not a box type, but round and apparently portable, but I could only see the lens, not how it was mounted. The price for one of those is not very affordable for most indivitual TV station broadcasters to use, but for Sports networks like ESPN, they probably have several or dozens even.

That Canon is $70,200 at B&H which is still pretty good for a high end zoom lens. It's T5.0 to T8.9 so it ain't a FAST lens but in this case, who cares when you more need the variable distance and long reach for mostly sports, fast action and wildlife shots.

It's a high price but STILL nowhere near what we paid for our Fujinon Cinema Servo Zoom lenses where our parent company paid more than 2.5 million CAN for 20 of them I think they ended being around $105,000 CAN each plus GST/PST taxes on top of that.

The UHD Box Servo Lenses such as the following:

If I remember correctly it's around $240,000 U.S. so almost a quarter of a million U.S. dollars!

Lenses these days aren't cheap and it's a good thing the parent company paid for it cuz I sure can't! They bought four of them and synced them together for 8K imaging in a 2x2 grid using those 4K stadium sports-style broadcast cameras put on a super-heavy-duty Wescam-style gyro-stabilized gimbal BUT USED IN aerospace applications!

Upvote 0

RunAndGun

CR Pro
Dec 16, 2011
Affordable is a relative term. I can name three people off the top of my head, two that I know personally, that own copies of the 50-1000.

Most networks, ESPN included, don’t own their own remote production equipment. There are several companies out there that handle most of it for most of the networks remote/field sports productions. If you’re watching the NFL, NBA, NCAA tournament, NASCAR, etc. it’s usually through either NEP or Game Creek.

If you see anyone shooting video on the floor from the NCAA Tournament, it’s CBS and maybe someone from one of the schools or conference. They don’t allow any local or other network tv photogs to shoot during the games. And the post game podium is usually a pool feed, as well.

The Fuji is in a different class than the Canon 50-1000. The Fuji is aimed at the “feature film”/commercial world, whereas the Canon is more toward wildlife, doc and sports. LOTS of them in the sports world.

Upvote 0