Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
What is the importance of having so many fps in stills being at least 6-7 but really at least 10 fps for action or wildlife? Since years ago but as recently as about 7 yrs ago you couldn't do any better a few at a time.
It helps to capture a particular moment, or instant, in time that might be missed with slower FPS. This is especially important to sports and wildlife photographers.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
May 11, 2017
It helps to capture a particular moment, or instant, in time that might be missed with slower FPS. This is especially important to sports and wildlife photographers.
fps is another magic number that keeps the internet buzz going, along with DR and several others. Frames per second are more important to some people than to others. How much is enough? Endless hours of fun on the internet.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
It sells cameras. I've only used one shot except to use 10 fps on my 1 series camera a few times, and trying to capture the snap of a bull whip which is impossible. After those uses, I reverted to 1 shot.

I don't like to sort thru hundreds of images just to find one I would have captured in one shot mode. I'll grant that BIF photographers where its difficult to keep a bird in the frame do benefit, and professional sports photographers will get a payday out of having the precise correct photo.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
It sells cameras. I've only used one shot except to use 10 fps on my 1 series camera a few times, and trying to capture the snap of a bull whip which is impossible. After those uses, I reverted to 1 shot.

I don't like to sort thru hundreds of images just to find one I would have captured in one shot mode. I'll grant that BIF photographers where its difficult to keep a bird in the frame do benefit, and professional sports photographers will get a payday out of having the precise correct photo.
I use that mode when bracketing on the 6D2, since that is the way it shoots sequentially on one press. Otherwise I trust my eyes and reflexes to time the shot. I’m probably wrong, but I fear getting a bunch of pictures, one of which is right before and one right after what I was wanting to shoot. Maybe if I were willing to pay thousands of dollars more to get a lot more fps I would trust it to luck, or if I were shooting to pay the bills rather than for fun, my priorities would differ.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
fps is another magic number that keeps the internet buzz going, along with DR and several others. Frames per second are more important to some people than to others. How much is enough? Endless hours of fun on the internet.
it's not fun. It becomes a tedious exchange between those that don't need and those that do need high fps just like for megapixels.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
it's not fun. It becomes a tedious exchange between those that don't need and those that do need high fps just like for megapixels.
Yeah, but "what I shoot is mainstream, everything else is just niche" (Sarcasm, Alan perfectly knows what I use to shoot:)).
BTW: "fps is another magic number that keeps the internet buzz going, along with DR and several others" - could you please list the rest (after excluding everything that lays in "several others") so, we can justify what actually is significant to you?

Upvote 0
A few years ago I sold my Canon 7D and replaced it with a 5D Mk3. The 5D mk 3 was better than the 7D in almost every way, except that it can only shoot at 6fps compared to the 8fps I had enjoyed on my 7D. Reducing from 8fps to 6fps doesn't sound like much but in fact it made a huge difference to my sports shooting. For example, when a try is scored in rugby the key moment is just before the ball is grounded. One frame earlier and it is not obvious that a try will be scored and one frame later is too late, and all you see is a ball on the ground with the scoring player's feet flying off into the distance. The 7D captured that key moment almost every time whereas with the 5D mk3 I find that I am often slightly early or too late. Shooting at 8fps or higher gives you more frames to choose from so the chances that you will capture the key moment are increased. If I could afford it I would upgrade to a 1DX mk2 but my budget does not stretch that far.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
If you need it, it is a great feature. 30FPS with a pre-shutter buffer rocks!

If you don’t need it, don’t use it.

If you want something in the middle, set your burst speed to what you want.
Don't expect commonsense to prevail - it's asking too much.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
What did people do when there cameras only shot 1-3 fps or in flim days when you didn't have more then 1fps? Photographers shot sports then, too and got some great photos.
People used to store food in ice boxes before there were refrigerators and the food still tasted good. Why do we need refrigerators?
People used to travel across the world before there were airplanes. Why do we need airplanes?
People used to take pictures on glass plates. Why did we need film?
People used to write with pens and paper. Why did we need typewriters?
People used to read by candlelight. Why do we need electricity.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0