Canon’s roadmap for 2019, included an EOS R camera that no one is expecting? [CR2]

rbielefeld

CR Pro
Apr 22, 2015
I was wondering if weather protection / seals of Sony A9 are any good in comparison with Canon 1D series cameras? Just being curious here,. not switching to Sony system anytime soon.
No, the weather sealing on the a9 is not up to the 1D series level; especially on the bottom of the body from what I have researched. I use a storm jacket on all my cameras when the weather is bad, so I am thinking the a9 will be fine. But, time will tell.

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
No, the weather sealing on the a9 is not up to the 1D series level; especially on the bottom of the body from what I have researched. I use a storm jacket on all my cameras when the weather is bad, so I am thinking the a9 will be fine. But, time will tell.
One would have thought that a storm jacket isn't a great protection against an increased humidity levels? humid air entering camera body and then through into the lens.
condensate moisture can be an issue mid to long term for electronics. hmm..

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2012
Couldn't you throw on an ND filter? Or maybe I misunderstand.
When you use an ND filter the total amount of light to the sensor is reduced and a larger aperture can/must be used. This, of course, has become popular with the fashion for wide open/shallow DOF cliche.
However, this still leaves the top shutter speed at the camera limit (usually 1/200-1/250 depending on camera) and requires maximum power of the flash and achieving no increase in range.
With a leaf shutter the shutter/aperture combination can be set for the conditions and flash can be added at any power you wish to fill shadows as needed.
I have a Panasonic FZ1000 with a leaf shutter and I use it for events because of its versatile lens and amazing IQ. In the bright sun I have been able to light up a shaded speaker at 20 feet using a speedlight at 1/4 power and 1/1000 of a second at f 4.5.
That is straight up impossible with a focal plane shutter short of massive flash power that would blow the clothes off the subject.

Upvote 0

canonmike

EOS R6
CR Pro
Jan 5, 2013
I am eagerly awaiting another EOS-M camera that could possibly replace the M5. The introduction of the 32mm f/1.4 has revealed itself as my dream lens for traveling and general photography. The lens has been so good, I consider it an integral part of my camera bag that I have -surprisingly- begun using in my professional work. It has been insanely fun to use and encouraged be to buy a used M5 until the next M comes out.

These are exciting times in the camera world. As much as Canon is getting shelled on the internet for being behind Sony and other cameras we have to take a step back. There are some great things in the works now that the sleeping and stubborn giant has been awakened. Hopefully the lower income of the comparatively smaller Canon can keep up with Sony or prove their experience in the photography industry can provide them an innovative leg up. Either way, just take photos and keep your head down...it's really insane how divisive our photo community has become over the years.
Everyone should read and UNDERSTAND your very last statement. Sadly, truer words were never written.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I have been testing the Sony a9 versus my 1DxII. I am using the Sony a9 with my Canon glass (600mm f/4 IS II and 100-400mm IS II, with and without 1.4x teleconverters). I am using the Sigma MC-11 adapter. You might want to try it out. The a9 AF system is quite amazing and once it locks on to a bird it does not want to let go. I get more series of all tack-sharp images with the Sony than with the 1DxII as the 1DxII tends to give me sharp and a bit soft images intermixed as the AI Sero AF micro-adjusts during a long burst series. Moreover, the a9 EVF has no blackout what so ever. It is actually easier to follow a bird in flight while shooting with the a9 then with the 1DxII and its fast flipping mirror. There are of course limitations when using adapted glass, but for me it has been an interesting, and to this point, successful test. I do not at all like the Sony's ergonomics as compared to the 1DxII, but it is something I can deal with. Everyone is different in what they need and like, and you may not like the performance, but if what you need is simply a camera which you can track, with a 500+mm lens, a fast flying bird and get decent in-focus results, this combo will do it. Attached file all taken with the Sony a9 and adapted Canon 600mm f/4 IS II + 1.4x TC hand held.
Very nice images but they are of large slow flying birds in my lexicon. Have you tried it on small fast flyers? (My RX10IV supposedly has the A9 focus system and works fine on larger birds like those.)

Upvote 0
Dec 31, 2018
With my tiny experience .small flying birds are imposible lock with small canon RP tracking locking box. i try shoot with 9 point zone af .
But yeah i am not good shooter,i know there are lot more talented peoples.
Two crappy example shoot . but trying is fun :p
Would be nice see really challenging shots examples with A9 ,not landing or raising ones ,really flying ones.
Even dunno if you can evaluate how good camera is from examples . its more skill than camera .top shooter could do good pics with what ever camera.
And it depends shooting style what camera is good for certain people i believe.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
With my tiny experience .small flying birds are imposible lock with small canon RP tracking locking box. i try shoot with 9 point zone af .
But yeah i am not good shooter,i know there are lot more talented peoples.
View attachment 185023View attachment 185024
Two crappy example shoot . but trying is fun :p
Would be nice see really challenging shots examples with A9 ,not landing or raising ones ,really flying ones.
Even dunno if you can evaluate how good camera is from examples . its more skill than camera .top shooter could do good pics with what ever camera.
And it depends shooting style what camera is good for certain people i believe.
Good try! Capturing birds in flight (or indeed anything moving) requires the AF first to lock on and then track. Canon is lagging behind on tracking but Canon locks on quicker. This is where the 5DIV scores over the 5DSR. The centre 9 AF points of the 5DSR are pretty good but the outer ones not so whereas the 5DIV will pick up at the edges as well.

Upvote 0

scottburgess

Canonical Canon
Jun 20, 2013
Well, if it is to be a head-scratcher, how about this: NO SCREEN, and packaged with OIII, H-alpha etc. filters. Makes sense on a dedicated astro camera (have you tried looking at star field photos on a tiny screen in the dark?). It would make their astrophotography camera much less expensive, too. Instead, add in extra connectivity where one could link up a tablet or iPad to both control and view images during processing.

Upvote 0