Red squirrels

Keith_Reeder

I really don't mind offending trolls.
Feb 8, 2014
Blyth, NE England
Still - sadly - a threatened species in much of the UK, but much of the north east of England is still relatively Grey squirrel free, so we're doing OK.

These were at Pow Hill Nature Reserve, on the banks of Derwent Reservoir:

ACD_PN_IMG_0886_1.jpg

ACD_PN_IMG_0892_1.jpg

ACD_PN_IMG_0902_1.jpg

Canon 1D X, 500mm f/4 Mk II + Mk II 1.4x TC, handheld.

• Love
Reactions: 11 users

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Folks.

Resurrecting the Red Squirrel page, living on the Isle of Wight I am lucky to be in a Grey Squirrel free zone!

Yes this is a true Red Squirrel despite the missing ear tufts which are a positive identifier!
SE0A9941_DxO by Graham Stretch, on Flickr
D
A portrait style shot! (Too damn close for anything else!)
SE0A0004_DxO by Graham Stretch, on Flickr

Jammed myself into the back corner of the hide to get far enough away to get a whole Squirrel in to the shot!
SE0A0017_DxO by Graham Stretch, on Flickr

All taken at Alverstone Mead Nature Reserve,
7DII with EF600mm f/4L IS USM, mounted on a gimbal on a tripod! Yes you can hand hold it but not for long! :unsure:
Cheers, Graham.

• Love
Reactions: 8 users
Upvote 0

Keith_Reeder

I really don't mind offending trolls.
Feb 8, 2014
Blyth, NE England
Hi Keith.
Lovely shots, where do you find them in the open like that?
The first set are from a country park where they're actively looked after and fed by visitors, so they're remarkably chilled out about people; the second set were an unexpected fluke - this being in a peaceful graveyard in a North Northumberland valley which is known for Spotted flycatchers but not for squirrels. I knew Reds were in the area, but I'd never seen them here.

I was hunkered down waiting for the Spotflys to show (not hidden away just sitting still and quiet), and this little fella(?) just appeared on a gravestone a few feet away, still a bit too young and naive to have learned to associate people with trouble.

In fact, he was still on the scene when I'd given up on the Spotflys and headed off to pastures new.

Upvote 0