Bad News for 7DIII? Nikon Dropping D500 Line?

That market space continues to exist though - I have to imagine there are still people who want an ultra-fast camera with solid image quality and build quality, while not needing some of the bells and whistles, which will let the price get outside that of a used car. If you're in the market, what do you do? Look to M43 or other APS-C cameras? The XT3 can do 11 fps before it gets into electronic shutter territory, and if you can deal with the electronic shutter you're talking 30 fps - that's right in the same wheelhouse but without the glass. And one would think with the rapid advancement of autofocus systems on mirrorless bodies, they could eventually become broadly superior for tracking fast moving subjects.

I'm going to bet this becomes a mirrorless camera on both accounts - I have a hard time seeing both companies abandoning that niche completely. Maybe both Canon and Nikon need their 1dXiii and D6 equivalent mirrorless cameras on the market and a more robust glass collection ready before they put out a comparable mirrorless to the 7D/D500 series. I could see a 7D/D500 camera as a reason to buy glass and incentivize buyers moving up market to a flagship camera.

In other words, I'll bet mirrorless equivalents are coming, but maybe not for a couple years yet.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
That market space continues to exist though - I have to imagine there are still people who want an ultra-fast camera with solid image quality and build quality, while not needing some of the bells and whistles, which will let the price get outside that of a used car. If you're in the market, what do you do? Look to M43 or other APS-C cameras? The XT3 can do 11 fps before it gets into electronic shutter territory, and if you can deal with the electronic shutter you're talking 30 fps - that's right in the same wheelhouse but without the glass. And one would think with the rapid advancement of autofocus systems on mirrorless bodies, they could eventually become broadly superior for tracking fast moving subjects.

I'm going to bet this becomes a mirrorless camera on both accounts - I have a hard time seeing both companies abandoning that niche completely. Maybe both Canon and Nikon need their 1dXiii and D6 equivalent mirrorless cameras on the market and a more robust glass collection ready before they put out a comparable mirrorless to the 7D/D500 series. I could see a 7D/D500 camera as a reason to buy glass and incentivize buyers moving up market to a flagship camera.

In other words, I'll bet mirrorless equivalents are coming, but maybe not for a couple years yet.
I tend to agree with your assessment

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
I don’t suspect canon will bow out of a 7D due to nikon, whose strategy may be based on need not analysis. It might be bad news for potential 7D3 buyers in that canon will have no real competition in that segment.
No, but Canon Rumors Guy has been pretty unequivocal that there will be no 7DIII. If Nikon abandons the D500 line, there is no competitive pressure for Canon to continue the line.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com

Maybe, but it might just be wishful thinking. Nikon would actually have an easier time releasing a mirrorless D500 equivalent as they don't currently offer crop sensor mirrorless. Canon has a real dilemma since they have defined the M series as the proper space for APS-C mirrorless. But offering a flagship crop sensor mirrorless that can't accept R lenses is problematic. And, I just don't see Canon offering one APS-C body in the R mount and all the others in the M mount.

On the other hand, if Nikon drops the D500 and Canon moves the XXD series up, the rumored 90D may be the only body in the niche.

Upvote 0
If Nikon does end the d500, then you would think that it would be an opportunity for Canon to grab their share of this market too.
Personally, I can't see why Canon would desert that market, as many 7d owners also buy 1dx's and expensive long lenses, unlike entry level cameras where the buyers are unlikely to buy any extra lenses.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jan 5, 2016
No, but Canon Rumors Guy has been pretty unequivocal that there will be no 7DIII. If Nikon abandons the D500 line, there is no competitive pressure for Canon to continue the line.

That works both ways - Nikon might have abandoned the D500 line because it has no competitive pressure from Canon.

My bet is Canon will replace the 7DmkII with an APS-C camera with an RF mount. With the M50, I think it more likely Canon will make an APS-C sensor with 24MP, DPAF, and shoot 10fps with AF than maintaining pro lenses, e.g. super teles, on another lens mount.

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
Can one "force" Canon R to work in APS-C crop mode? apparently, EF to R adaptor automatically sets R in crop mode when EF-S lens is attached...
that would have the issue of not enough reach solved in an instant
If you are talking about EOS R the pixels would be less so not enough reach. A Canon crop with 20Mpixel is equivalent to 20*(1.6^2) = 20 *2.56 = 51.2 Mpixel camera. So you need about 50Mpixel to get a cropped 20Mpixel. A crop of 30Mpixel would give 11.7 Mpixel area. Not enough reach not solved.

Upvote 0

Hector1970

CR Pro
Mar 22, 2012
I've always been surprised that Canon have no intentions to bring out a 7DIII.
Maybe sales haven't been great.
I meet alot of people with the 7DII but maybe its a niche.
They tend to also have good glass to go with it.
I'd have thought it sold alot of 70-200 2.8 and 100-400 II lens.

I've never been too happy with the 7DII Sensor (a bit noisy as ISO goes up) but its very robust and focusing is good on it. Off all my cameras its taken the most photographs and the most batterings and gone through the worst weather and it still performs really well.

I know Canon look at the bigger customer market but if there was a better sensor and 1 or two more FPS I'd buy one. If there was an equivalent robustly made EOS R I'd actively consider it.
An XD or M50 type camera - probably not. Certainly nothing the size of the current M range - way too small to be comfortable with a heavy lens. XD would depend on what weather sealing and grip it has.
The M series has other uses for which its well suited to. Small camera small lens is always a good combination.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

unfocused

Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
The second-rate sensor seemed so stingy in an otherwise excellent body. Hoping for better in whatever follows.
It is silly to judge a five-year-old camera by today's standards. At the time of its release, the sensor was the best Canon APS-C sensor available. Still, even today, the sensor remains very competitive with current APS-C sensors at higher ISOs. It is only at base ISO that it is lacking and that's not where most users live.

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
It is silly to judge a five-year-old camera by today's standards. At the time of its release, the sensor was the best Canon APS-C sensor available. Still, even today, the sensor remains very competitive with current APS-C sensors at higher ISOs. It is only at base ISO that it is lacking and that's not where most users live.
Are you forgetting the complaints about sensor-related softness, and noise at relatively low ISO's? It was mediocre at the time of release, middling compared to the competition then. The rest of the camera's features though, including the early implementation of AF for video, received praise. Please don't rewrite history!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

unfocused

Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Are you forgetting the complaints about softness and noise at relatively low ISO's? It was mediocre at the time of release, middling compared to the competition then. The rest of the camera's features though, including the early implementation of AV for video, received praise. Please don't rewrite history!
Complaints are not facts. Forum and Internet experts will complain about anything.

Upvote 0
I believe that Canon is trying to merge the "90D and the 7D mk 3" into a aps-c version of a Nikon D850.
Another alternative is that they are developing a RF version of the "7D mk 3" as a testbed concept for the next RF version of the "1DX mk 3"

Usually technologies are tested out in the aps-c lineup before implementation into the full frame lineup. (Dual Pixel CMOS AF, etc)

Upvote 0