Bad News for 7DIII? Nikon Dropping D500 Line?

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
There was/is a reasonably sized market for the 7D2. Canon is not one to let a market slip away so they will do something.....

We know two things. First is that there will be a replacement by something to look after the same market. It will probably be an R mount Mirrorless camera with scads of computing power to give the speed and performance we want, possibly 30Mpixels in a crop sensor.

The second thing we know is that it will not be inexpensive.......

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

https://brettguyphotography.picfair.com/
Dec 6, 2016
brettguyphotography.picfair.com
The rumoured high (very high?) MP EOS R body which is supposed to be coming - presumably that could be cropped to APSC size while retaining usable numbers of MPs? I'm also thinking that less processing power would be used in crop mode, so FPS would increase accordingly?
But again. That will be a ful frame beast and therefore have a full frame price tag. The 7d series was so popular because it was a pro camera that came in at an affordable price. Due mostly to the crop sensor.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Hector1970

CR Pro
Mar 22, 2012
There was/is a reasonably sized market for the 7D2. Canon is not one to let a market slip away so they will do something.....

We know two things. First is that there will be a replacement by something to look after the same market. It will probably be an R mount Mirrorless camera with scads of computing power to give the seed and performance we want, possibly 30Mpixels in a crop sensor.

The second thing we know is that it will not be inexpensive.......
Hopefully so. One or the other. I'd take a mirrorless version too if it was robust and better sensor and more FPS. I thought mirrorless would automatically blow away the traditional FPS but processing power to do so much be expensive. I think also there is reasonable size market for that type of camera and that is sells some expensive lens to go with it. (eg 70-200 F2.8, 100-400 II, 500mm 5.6, 70-300 or this new 24-240). It's a gateway camera to the 1DX or 1DR too. You achieve so much with a 7D but want more.

Upvote 0

Jethro

EOS R
CR Pro
Jul 14, 2018
But again. That will be a ful frame beast and therefore have a full frame price tag. The 7d series was so popular because it was a pro camera that came in at an affordable price. Due mostly to the crop sensor.
Absolutely - but couldn't you also argue that you get two cameras for the price of one? A FF (higher MP, lower FPS) plus an APSC (lower but acceptable MP, higher FPS), using the same native RF lenses (or big whites on adaptor)? The 7Ds were never all that small, or all that cheap (except v the 1Ds), but I guess it depends a bit on the weather sealing / toughness factor as well.

Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

Dec 6, 2016
Absolutely - but couldn't you also argue that you get two cameras for the price of one? A FF (higher MP, lower FPS) plus an APSC (lower but acceptable MP, higher FPS), using the same native RF lenses (or big whites on adaptor)? The 7Ds were never all that small, or all that cheap (except v the 1Ds), but I guess it depends a bit on the weather sealing / toughness factor as well.
It wasn't cheap but it was relatively 'affordable' for a sport and action oriented pro camera. And while having that two cameras for the price of one would be awesome, I can't afford to drop 7-10k on a camera body. But 2.5-3k is doable. If I go a FF I will have to sacrifice speed and durability(if only by a small amount) in order to afford it.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016

Even at the introductory price of $1,799, the 7D Mark II was a LOT of camera in 2014.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
Looking at the current market distribution, I believe Canon may enter the m43 market with Olympus and Panasonic. The aps-c mirrorless market is flooded with Sony a6xxx and Fujifilm X-Tx.

Amateurs want something small and light (m43), Enthusiast want full frame. (R, RP, RS, RX)

In many markets, the APS-C EOS-M series is quite competitive with the micro four-thirds systems from Olympus and Panasonic for "small and light" cameras. I don't see Canon adding another system in addition to EF/EF-S, R , and M. But you never know, unless you're an insider at Canon.

Upvote 0
In many markets, the APS-C EOS-M series is quite competitive with the micro four-thirds systems from Olympus and Panasonic for "small and light" cameras. I don't see Canon adding another system in addition to EF/EF-S, R , and M. But you never know, unless you're an insider at Canon.

With the R mount, EF-M mount, and EF/EF-S Mount. I was wondering how would the EF-M evolve?
maybe include the m43 mount to spur evolution. Its kinda weird if the R mount may include aps-c sized mirrorless.

Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

Dec 6, 2016
haha. I am just speculating. Or there maybe a new mount for medium frame to compete with Fujifilm.
I would agree that there is more chance of a medium format canon then a M4/3. Not that that is saying much. Harry film could probably let us know.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Complaints are not facts. Forum and Internet experts will complain about anything.

I don't complain much about Canon, but the 7d2 was not my favorite. I found the autofocus to be iffy and the sensor to be noisy. I sent it to Canon twice and sold it with no regrets. I actually regretted getting rid of my 50d. I am odd because it seems no one liked it.

Upvote 0