Canon’s EOS-1D X Mark II equivalent mirrorless is coming sooner than originally thought [CR1]

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
2 out of 300 or about 0.6% (i.e. less than one percent!)

1) The Canon C700 I got spot on.

2) a new 60 fps 50 megapixel MF camera and a 2/3rds inch Smartphone which will ALSO be spot on....

and after that? You shall see soon enough!
I think that's really one out of 300.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
But in the past Sony did not have much if any glass that was competitive with Canon, that is changing. The G Masters are really nice lenses. I still do not see most Canon users jumping ship. But the ones that do are enjoying the benefits that Sony already brought to market. That is more fun than coming to CR daily hoping the next release will be the one they have been waiting for. They must have the technology, but I see the problem with Canon is too many lines have power over one another. Every camera seems to be limited in some way. Most are awesome, but missing something that is available in another line. Unless they revamp the entire way to do their business, we will see more of the same. Luckily the lenses don't work that way.
You say that but many are already saying the A7r IV video specs are deliberately neutered, certainly they don’t even match competitions specs from years ago. Indeed ‘many internet experts’ are pointing out that Panasonic are eating Sony’s lunch for video specs in these cameras.

Upvote 0
It’s zero/300 “predictions”

Also, for many months he’s been on about an APS-C camera phone. Now he’s slipping 2/3” in its place.

===

The 2/3rd inch phone is what is coming first! It is now built at a consumer-acceptable thickness. It is complete and ready for FCC/EU certification!

The APS-C phone is coming later because the prototype is a tad "THICK" and a NEW type of lens technology is required to get it down below an acceptable 15mm of thickness.

When you see these .... You will be BLOWN AWAY by the sheer technological prowess displayed by these devices. They truly ARE game changers! IP-68 Waterproofing and Ruggedness too!

The 60 fps 4:4:4 RAW and Compressed 8192 x 6144 pixel (50.3 megapixels) Medium Format combined stills/video camera is also a game changer. It's quite a bit superior to the Fujifilm GFX 100 in terms of actual image quality, sensitivity, still and video frame rates, multiple output file formats and still/video image aspect ratios, AND colour depths. It now SUPERSEDES Canon's Colour science and is EQUAL to the Arri Alexa-65 in a MUCH CHEAPER and much smaller body! The ergonomics are so much more improved too. No more big lens that intrude upon your hands! The hand-grip and screen swivel and are lockable to various positions! You can even use it for Vlogging and selfies in addition to Sports/Action/Wildlife Stills and Video!

Price-wise, it will be fairly close to the $10 000 US mark, so Red is Dead now, Canon C-series and 1D/5D is Toast, Nikon is So-Gone, Panasonic is the Goat and Arri is Sushi!

Soooooo .... who ELSE could it be?

Upvote 0
Dec 31, 2018
Will be intresting see what Rx can do with computing photography.
Should work better with handhold shoots when smaller pixel density and lot faster bursts. And ibis stuff
I am hoping 50fps focus stacking and HDR pixel shift .
X serie shooting speed HdR stack could be actually working most of situations except extreme action. good bye DR problems
Maybe thats why canon been compromicing focusing ability over DR on sensor. computing progress may been just slower they expected.

Upvote 0
1) many pro photogs never use the telephotos. Simple reportage, travel, wedding, stock, etc. are probably fine with trinity zooms. The 2.8 trinity is already announced, with IS all the way. Many working pros don't need anything more. I grant there are other pros that almost only use the telephotos (sports, wildlife), but it's not like Canon can't get any sales until they have literally everyone's bases covered.

2) of course all EF glass works via adapter. I think pros are probably OK with this as long as it doesn't fail (break, weather, etc.) I mean pros think nothing of a macro tube when needed, and no-one using the white telephotos would refuse a teleconverter. So why refuse the RF-EF adapter?

I actually feel point 1 strongly enough that I wonder if they made a mistake not releasing the R with trinity 2.8's. But they're pros at marketing as well as optic design, so I imagined they have this all timed out. The current R's, I bet, aren't even being made to sell, but rather to get people talking about the system. No other motivation for the ridiculous 28-70/2.0... So, if this year is just to build buzz, I bet we'll still have trinity plus a pro body all long before the Olympics, so all the reportage going on can be done by people who are totally familiar with their R's, even if the actual event shooters are still using EF glass (and potentially EF cameras).
  1. We were talking about Olympics.
  2. Did I say EF lenses do not work with the adapter? I have the adapter and it works good enough (though I see some AF issues with some lenses). Also see point 1 (Olympics). Now try to use teleconverters with EF-R adapter.

• Angry
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I haven't had a 15mm thick phone since flip phones were a thing...

---

The larger the sensor size, the DEEPER the camera opening is required to be. A 2/3rd inch sensor is the current size limit for modern 9 mm thick and less smartphones for proper focal plane "focus" on the sensor itself. Like I said earlier, the 2/3rds inch sensor smartphone is basically completely ready and just needs U.S. FCC (Federal Communications Commission) and EU wireless certifications before sale. So once you see a certain smartphone on the certification list, it means public introduction is a mere few weeks away! Around $900 to $1000 US!

The APS-C smartphone version is a whole different ball of wax as this is fully IP-68 ruggedized super-flagship smartphone, so it is close to 15mm thick and the battery is much much larger than normal at over 10 000 mAh (milli-Amp-hours for all day use of LIKELY running time of 4 to 6 at DCI 8K video recording and 8 to 12 hours for 4K DCI video. It sucks a lot of juice as it's screen is a full DCI 4K screen (4096 by 2160 pixels) and the APS-C camera sensor (23.6 mm by 15.6 mm) is a full DCI 8K (8192 x 4320) video-centric actual resolution which is about 35.3 megapixels!

This is a cinema-centric phone with 60 fps and super-low light sensitivity at a little over 2.7 microns per photosite in a Bayer sensor-type, 4:4:4 and 4:2:2 colour at 10 to 16-bits per channel HDR output. BOTH the Still images and Video will be a Hollywood cinema-centric 1.89:1 aspect ratio! It DOES have the latest version HDMI output port for DCI 8k 60fps 4:4:4 with CLEAN audio/video output and BOTH a 3.5mm audio input and output jack (i.e. TWO audio jacks)!

It will be a entry-level 8K video capture system that competes DIRECTLY with the Blackmagic 4K pocket camera AND be a daily-use super-smartphone! The USB-3 charging system ALLOWS stills/video camera use while charging so it means the smartphone can be powered externally during use. There will also be external lens attachment and extra power supply/handgrip accessories offered right away in order to fulfill it's ability to be an entry level cinema camera! Now word yet on a specific date but the prototype is a nearly-finished consumer-ready model !!! A few more months and FCC/EU certs needed!

It will also be priced at about $1500 U.S. which is Red Hydrogen pricing territory BUT it looks like people WILL buy it!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Is that a problem for some reason?
Reliability. Extra risk for professionals. OK for me because I don't need the best reliability but if I was at Olympics I wouldn't want to miss shots because of failure in one of the adapters.
To clarify, my first comment was about professionals at Olympics. I don't care about amateurs.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Reliability. Extra risk for professionals. OK for me because I don't need the best reliability but if I was at Olympics I wouldn't want to miss shots because of failure in one of the adapters.
To clarify, my first comment was about professionals at Olympics. I don't care about amateurs.
That explains why professionals never use a teleconverter. I just knew there was a reason, thanks! :rolleyes:

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Mar 2, 2012
The APS-C smartphone version is a whole different ball of wax as this is fully IP-68 ruggedized super-flagship smartphone, so it is close to 15mm thick and the battery is much much larger than normal at over 10 000 MAh for all day use.

Boy, that’s a trick. 10,000 mega amp hours at an assumed ~4VDC (typical of phone batteries) is enough to power 400,000 of tesla’s longest range sedans, or 33 time-traveling DeLoreans (for an hour each).

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Boy, that’s a trick. 10,000 mega amp hours at an assumed ~4VDC (typical of phone batteries) is enough to power 400,000 of tesla’s longest range sedans, or 33 time-traveling DeLoreans (for an hour each).

Ok! Make that mAh (Milli-Amp Hours!) -- I think as an engineer you SHOULD have gotten the original intent! At 10,000 mAh, I am guessing 4 to 6 hours with the smartphone camera running at 60 fps DCI 8k video at say an average 12 bits 4:2:2 compressed interframe codec. At 4k DCI 4:2:2 10-bit video, I am guessing 8 hours to 12 hours. That is a BIG battery even if they are using a high powered Qualcomm Snapdragon 855 CPU. It will depend upon screen brightness being used, and other running apps BUT if the user is judicious with their apps usage I can easily see all-day use for budget cinematography for this APS-C smartphone.

I am ASSUMING its a newer type Thin-Film Lithium Ion battery with a more advanced cell draw and charge balancing controller which means its draw-down curve will be quite flat so you actually DO get the full run times indicated!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
A pro uses the right tool for the job.

At the olympics, reliability really isn’t an issue as there are a bazillion spare cameras and Canon service/loaners on site....

The reason for using a 1DX2 at the olympics is the file transfer..... as the photographer is clicking away, the files are being sent to HQ, where someone else is editing and posting them Yes, the camera is superior in many other ways, but in that scenario, Live file uploads are the killer app.

As far as teleconverters go, they suck on high density sensors when you are using a crappy lens. Put them on a low density FF camera with L primes, and as long as the lighting will let you AF quickly, they are great.

Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
Touche! New compared to many. True. Long enough however to be well and truly over being so graciously informed about how, when, where and why someone decided to buy into the Sony system when I am trying to get to information that is relevant to the thread I am reading. In this case the future mirrorless pro canon. A camera which I will be in no position to buy of course but any information on this camera will likely give me an inkling into the general future direction and capabilities of all future canon mirrorless cameras
My favorite one was from a guy who said he decided to jump ship when he was on a cruise, or something like that.

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
Even with spares and service, you're not going to have a chance to get a spare during most events.

I don't think reliability is a huge issue, that said: even an EOS R, definitely not a pro-grade camera, isn't going to just stop working half-way through the 50m dash or what have you.
What I meant is that in an event like the olympics, the photographers have several spares with them, and if one did fail, they can have it replaced by the next day. It’s not like they are on Safari or in Antarctica :)

Upvote 0