Review: Canon RF 85mm f/1.2L USM

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
The-Digital-Picture has completed their review of the Canon RF 85mm f/1.2L USM lens, a lens that will surely become a classic like it’s EF mount and FD mount predecessors.
From The-Digital-Picture:
Meet your new favorite portrait lens.
When purchasing a prime lens (vs. a zoom lens), the focal length significantly determines what that lens is best used for and regarding the Canon RF 85mm F1.2 L USM Lens, Kazuto Ogawa, president and COO of Canon USA states “We envision this product as being the quintessential workhorse lens for portrait photographers of all skill levels.” Portrait photography is incredibly popular, the number of 85mm lenses available hints at the popularity of this focal length, and so often, 85mm is the ideal choice for portraiture, providing the ideal subject framing at a distance that creates a pleasing perspective. Read the full review...

Continue reading...

Phil

EOS R, RF24-105 f4, RF35 1.8, RF50 1.2, RF85 1.2
Oct 17, 2018
Thanks for the fantastic review Brian. I definitely find your reviews to be the industry standard to go by., I also love how you come from the perspective that people especially family are the most important subjects you can photograph.
I have found the 85 to be the best lens I have ever used and because of this I’m trying to use it in a lot more different situations than I normally would which is fun, heavy but fun.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
thanks to Brian for the good review.

Surely a stellar lens, in either version - standard and DS (yet to be released).

But for me too big and too expensive. Give me a little brother, say RF 85/1.8 or 2.0.
Same here: It's no langer a camera with lens but a lens with camera.

If Canon provides a compact RF 85/1.8 with 1:2 macro @ 600 Euro/Dollar with great IQ ... this might be the last reason to buy an R camera.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
Wish somebody can compare Canon RF 85mm F1.2 vs Zeiss Otus 1.4/85 wide open.
Of course a comparison on the EOS R would be best (with adapter). In the meantime look here:
and here

Otus on 1 Ds MkIII and 5Ds R. Bodies and sensors are not compareble to the one in the EOS R but you can get some impression.
If you look at the corner sharpness the Otus performes not so good on the 1 Ds MkIII but better on the 5Ds R.
Taking the higher MP count of the 5Ds R the Otus seems to be somewhat better here.

But of course lenses are more than just corner or center sharpnes...

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
Maybe somebody will. Some don't mind manual focus. For that kind of money I would expect AF.
They are well-suited for cinema applications with minimal focus breathing, and cost only a fraction of 'proper' cinema lenses (or cameras). AF and focus-by-wire MF is working better and better, but it is not the same.
That being said, RED is soon coming out with an RF-mount cinema camera as well.

Upvote 0

RayValdez360

Soon to be the greatest.
Jun 6, 2012
Philadelphia
They are well-suited for cinema applications with minimal focus breathing, and cost only a fraction of 'proper' cinema lenses (or cameras). AF and focus-by-wire MF is working better and better, but it is not the same.
That being said, RED is soon coming out with an RF-mount cinema camera as well.
Rumored to be RF..... It would be crazy for Red to have an RF cinema camera before canon though.

Upvote 0

navastronia

R6 x2 (work) + 5D Classic (fun)
Aug 31, 2018
As someone who is drooling over one day owning the future "RX" and this RF 85 1.2, I've lately been fawning over the few photos in this Flickr group devoted to the lens.

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
As someone who is drooling over one day owning the future "RX" and this RF 85 1.2, I've lately been fawning over the few photos in this Flickr group devoted to the lens.

I really love mine so I get where you’re coming from. As usual with Canon it is quite expensive yet SO worth it from the very first shot.

Here’s one I took yesterday:

m11.jpg

Upvote 0

navastronia

Aug 31, 2018
I really love mine so I get where you’re coming from. As usual with Canon it is quite expensive yet SO worth it from the very first shot.

Here’s one I took yesterday:

m11.jpg

That 3D pop is unbelievable! Also like the emotion you captured - she looks at ease in front of the lens. Thanks for sharing :giggle:

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
That 3D pop is unbelievable! Also like the emotion you captured - she looks at ease in front of the lens. Thanks for sharing :giggle:
My Siros and 75cm octa in the sun with this lens is something special. They feel like an extension of me and does what I want. Weird I know...

She wasn’t too happy having her picture taken a while back, but she figured out that it can be fun, and very quickly done when she takes my instructions.

However I still get the old ; “come on! When grandpa takes my picture he only takes ONE, you take too long” lol.

Upvote 0

navastronia

Aug 31, 2018
My Siros and 75cm octa in the sun with this lens is something special. They feel like an extension of me and does what I want. Weird I know...

She wasn’t too happy having her picture taken a while back, but she figured out that it can be fun, and very quickly done when she takes my instructions.

However I still get the old ; “come on! When grandpa takes my picture he only takes ONE, you take too long” lol.

I imagine that when I have kids someday, they're going to grow up either loving or hating the camera ;)

Upvote 0