The Canon EOS M5 Mark II and Canon EOS M6 Mark II are on the way [CR1]

I doubt those numbers. I’m not reading what you’re stating. You’re looking at overall sales numbers. I said that most phones in China are low cost, but that Apple is the bigg4est seller of high end phones. That’s true.

And please grow up, and stop the caps. Whats your problem?

---

I am WAAAAY LESS grown up than you are. Sales Figures talk and uneduated guesses and online B.S. WALKS!

The BIGGEST PHONE SELLERS IN CHINA are the following phones:

DO ANY of these look cheap to you? NOPE! If you know ANYTHING about the concept of "Face" in China (Which I can see you DO NOT!), then you would understand WHY these phones are the LARGEST sales leaders in China! In China, social constructs of "Financial Status and Social Appearances" mandate that one in the lower-to-upper-middle class Chinese (550 million of them!) must APPEAR to be comfortable and that means small status symbols such as Phones, Shoes, Clothes, Bikes, Computers, etc TEND to be the items most heavily spent on! Ergo, EVERYONE has these giant 6+ inch super phones that make an iPhone Max look small and wear those ridiculously BRIGHT COLOURED high-tech running/fashion shoes from "361"!

You must be thinking of INDIA, where the average phone is a really cheap, less-bright-phone and is costs $50 U.S. or even less!

P.S. I Drink Brawndo: THE THIRST MULITILATOR !!!!!!

It's like a Monster Truck you can pour into your face AND it makes you WIN AT ONLINE YELLING !!!!!

It's Got ELECTROLYTES and FIVE KINDS OF SUGAR !!!!!!

And it makes you wanna kick your lowercase letters into UPPERCASE ALL THE TIME !!!!

AND I LIKE KICKING lowercase letters into UPPERCASE every time and ALL-the-TIME! !!!

THAT'S MY PROBLEM !!!!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Mar 2, 2012
---

It is NOT an anecdote when my business buddy is selling 10,000+ Doogee S60's and like phones PER DAY in China !!!! That doesn't even count his next largest market which is India but they sell the cheaper phones there because India is much poorer than China! To get an idea of his sales rate, there are 86,400 seconds per 24 hour day. Every 8.64 seconds he sells another rugged phone! EVERY 8.64 seconds! No wonder the USA is deemed an UNIMPORTANT market compared to China, India, South Asia and even Europe!
Seeing what people are using on the street, indeed, is anecdotal.

Btw what has a rugged phone, something sold to be used in an industrial or adverse environment, have to do with typical consumers’ tastes?

Would you point to one person’s toughbook sales, with no context given for that person’s business strategy, to predict consumer laptop trends?

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Seeing what people are using on the street, indeed, is anecdotal.

Btw what has a rugged phone, something sold to be used in an industrial or adverse environment, have to do with typical consumers’ tastes?

Would you point to one person’s toughbook sales, with no context given for that person’s business strategy, to predict consumer laptop trends?

---

Rugged phone are becoming quite popular WITH consumers in China and not just business. MANY of the phones my business buddy sells in wholesale blocks of 10, 100, 1000+ are resold to local consumers from every part of China and SouthEast Asia. And since many of the places he sells to are hot, humid and/or really rainy and/or bitingly cold and snowy in winter, China is now the world's BIGGEST MARKET for ruggedized IP-67/IP-68 smartphones and rugged tablets. The USA is still bigger for rugged LAPTOPS but those are mostly made in Taiwan, UK, Singapore and USA and shipped back to the USA. China OWNS the OEM, ODM and SALES market for Rugged smartphones and tablets ....BUT.... if this certain media company has anything to say, that same trend will be introduced to North American and European markets where consumers will BEGIN to prefer devices that can take a beating and keep on ticking!

Again I no longer see an issue with thicker phones if the extended all-day battery life, the large image sensors and waterproof ruggedness is there! Consumers WILL START spending serious money ($400 to $1500 US) for near-flagship and truly flagship rugged super-smartphones when they starting come out pretty soon now!

A certain well-known media company is getting ready to introduce RUGGEDIZED IP-68 2/3rds inch and APS-C super-smartphones which will shatter the current pipeline for all-in-one devices that have multiple onboard sensors, fast communications, advanced imaging and powerful computing capabilities in a SINGLE pocketable device! That will make rugged devices POPULAR in the USA, Canada, Mexico, Central America, South America and Europe!

The changeover is going to hit the current smartphone and point-n-shoot/DSLR manufacturers like a ton of bricks! Canon sure can't compete. Neither can Nikon! They have Faaaaaar Tooo Much corporate inertia to make a fast changeover into NEW product lines! However, I do see Olympus and Fujifilm making a run for this All-in-One Camera/Smartphone/Multi-Sensor market though because their parent companies are large enough and forward-enough thinking they can afford to take the risk and changeover QUICKLY! That famous media company GAVE a demo of their large sensor smartphone products to a group of Olympus employees/management and THEY (Olympus!) are very, very excited at licencing some of the technology!

Do I see an Olympus all-in-one micro-four-thirds super-camera + super-sensor smartphone coming up soon?

DOUBLE YES !!! I actually DO see that coming! And my guess is that mid-next year WE ABSOLUTELY WILL SEE an announcement from Olympus for a super-smartphone with a micro 4/3rds image sensor running at 60 fps 4k or even 8k 4:2:2 10-bit video + bright 4K screen + big long-life all-day battery + ruggedized IP-68 rating + a removable external lens attachment/handgrip box ALL for $1000 U.S. !!!!!!!!!!

The big media company will have the TRULY Big Boy super-smartphones, But Olympus and Fujifilm WILL make a BIG run at the super-smartphone all-in-one-device market!

Again, Canon and Nikon SIMPLY WILL NOT compete and will see SIGNIFICANT shrinkage in their camera markets!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
---

I am WAAAAY LESS grown up than you are. Sales Figures talk and uneduated guesses and online B.S. WALKS!

The BIGGEST PHONE SELLERS IN CHINA are the following phones:

DO ANY of these look cheap to you? NOPE! If you know ANYTHING about the concept of "Face" in China (Which I can see you DO NOT!), then you would understand WHY these phones are the LARGEST sales leaders in China! In China, social constructs of "Financial Status and Social Appearances" mandate that one in the lower-to-upper-middle class Chinese (550 million of them!) must APPEAR to be comfortable and that means small status symbols such as Phones, Shoes, Clothes, Bikes, Computers, etc TEND to be the items most heavily spent on! Ergo, EVERYONE has these giant 6+ inch super phones that make an iPhone Max look small and wear those ridiculously BRIGHT COLOURED high-tech running/fashion shoes from "361"!

You must be thinking of INDIA, where the average phone is a really cheap, less-bright-phone and is costs $50 U.S. or even less!

P.S. I Drink Brawndo: THE THIRST MULITILATOR !!!!!!

It's like a Monster Truck you can pour into your face AND it makes you WIN AT ONLINE YELLING !!!!!

It's Got ELECTROLYTES and FIVE KINDS OF SUGAR !!!!!!

And it makes you wanna kick your lowercase letters into UPPERCASE ALL THE TIME !!!!

AND I LIKE KICKING lowercase letters into UPPERCASE every time and ALL-the-TIME! !!!

THAT'S MY PROBLEM !!!!

On what kind of dope are you ????? Asbach Uralt again?:eek:

Upvote 0
Mar 2, 2012
---

Rugged phone are becoming quite popular WITH consumers in China and not just business. MANY of the phones my business buddy sells in wholesale blocks of 10, 100, 1000+ are resold to local consumers from every part of China and SouthEast Asia. And since many of the places he sells to are hot, humid and/or really rainy and/or bitingly cold and snowy in winter, China is now the world's BIGGEST MARKET for ruggedized IP-67/IP-68 smartphones and rugged tablets. The USA is still bigger for rugged LAPTOPS but those are mostly made in Taiwan, UK, Singapore and USA and shipped back to the USA. China OWNS the OEM, ODM and SALES market for Rugged smartphones and tablets ....BUT.... if this certain media company has anything to say, that same trend will be introduced to North American and European markets where consumers will BEGIN to prefer devices that can take a beating and keep on ticking!

Again I no longer see an issue with thicker phones if the extended all-day battery life, the large image sensors and waterproof ruggedness is there! Consumers WILL START spending serious money ($400 to $1500 US) for near-flagship and truly flagship rugged super-smartphones when they starting come out pretty soon now!

A certain well-known media company is getting ready to introduce RUGGEDIZED IP-68 2/3rds inch and APS-C super-smartphones which will shatter the current pipeline for all-in-one devices that have multiple onboard sensors, fast communications, advanced imaging and powerful computing capabilities in a SINGLE pocketable device! That will make rugged devices POPULAR in the USA, Canada, Mexico, Central America, South America and Europe!

The changeover is going to hit the current smartphone and point-n-shoot/DSLR manufacturers like a ton of bricks! Canon sure can't compete. Neither can Nikon! They have Faaaaaar Tooo Much corporate inertia to make a fast changeover into NEW product lines! However, I do see Olympus and Fujifilm making a run for this All-in-One Camera/Smartphone/Multi-Sensor market though because their parent companies are large enough and forward-enough thinking they can afford to take the risk and changeover QUICKLY! That famous media company GAVE a demo of their large sensor smartphone products to a group of Olympus employees/management and THEY (Olympus!) are very, very excited at licencing some of the technology!

Do I see an Olympus all-in-one micro-four-thirds super-camera + super-sensor smartphone coming up soon?

DOUBLE YES !!! I actually DO see that coming! And my guess is that mid-next year WE ABSOLUTELY WILL SEE an announcement from Olympus for a super-smartphone with a micro 4/3rds image sensor running at 60 fps 4k or even 8k 4:2:2 10-bit video + bright 4K screen + big long-life all-day battery + ruggedized IP-68 rating + a removable external lens attachment/handgrip box ALL for $1000 U.S. !!!!!!!!!!

The big media company will have the TRULY Big Boy super-smartphones, But Olympus and Fujifilm WILL make a BIG run at the super-smartphone all-in-one-device market!

Again, Canon and Nikon SIMPLY WILL NOT compete and will see SIGNIFICANT shrinkage in their camera markets!

So I suppose all that was a “yes” to my very direct question?

Upvote 0
So I suppose all that was a “yes” to my very direct question?

Asbach Uralt is PERFECTLY FINE as an evening libation! It goes VERY WELL into the cake batter and Uralt-soaked cherries for Black Forest Cake!

It just MAKES MY DAY AND NIGHT HERE on CanonRumours soooooo much better!

---

I'm doing a lot of "Leaks" here but YES it seems that Olympus took a real close look at the 2/3rds inch and APS-C super-smartphones from said VERY BIG MEDIA COMPANY and are in ACTIVE CORPORATE TALKS with same to licence some of the large sensor patents relating to focal plane issues, removable external lens box with handgrip attachment technology and the 50+ and other-size megapixel GLOBAL SHUTTER SENSOR technology!

SO YES, while I may be having my evening tipple of Asbach Uralt (a relatively cheap but STILL very good German Brandy!), I have ALSO been getting my Burst Rate Anecdotes from MULTIPLE sources in Japan, China, Germany, Singapore and few from the USA .... Soooooo, I do have some INSIDE information on what SOME of the bigger manufacturers are doing!

Right now, the ABSOLUTE IN-PROGRESS PLAN of said VERY LARGE media company is the upcoming sales of a set of rugged/waterproof IP-68 rated, 2/3rds inch and APS-C super-smartphones BOTH with 4:3 aspect ratio 8912 x 6144 pixel (50.3 megapixels) global shutter sensors and BOTH with up to DCI 8192 by 4320 pixel HDR 8K video running at 60 fps and with up to 16-bits per colour channel set at FULL RAW, 3:1 or 2:1 RAW or intraframe + interframe compressed Wavelet/MP4/H.264/H.265 audio/video files! Still Images are FULL RAW, RGB uncompressed or run-length encoded lossless PNG, and JPEG or JPEG-2000 compressed file formats.

Both phones have very large ALL-DAY batteries and BOTH phones have TWO 3.5 mm jacks comprising an audio input jack AND a headphone out jack and AND a CLEAN HDMI up-to-60 fps 8K video output port AND a USB 3.1 port!

I DO KNOW WITH CERTAINTY that the APS-C phone will starting at $1500 US !!! --- I'm not fully sure what the price point of the 2/3rds inch phone is but I am guessing anywhere from $800 to $1200 US.

---

NOW, THE TENTATIVE PLAN for Olympus is by mid-2020 to announce and then make/sell a 20+ megapixel stills and 4k video 4:2:2 10 bit HDR at 60 fps video micro-four-thirds GLOBAL SHUTTER sensor Waterproof/Shockproof/FreezeProof IP-68 rugged super-smartphone with some extra unusual built-in environmental sensors (i.e. temp/pressure/3D-XYZ rotational mems, O2/H2S/NO/CO/CO2 gas sensors), a secondary low-res infrared camera (i.e. 640 by 480), GPS/GLONASS/Beidou/Galileo positioning and 4G/5G calling and internet functions for $1000 U.S. or less !!!!! The display may be 2.7K ....OR... it may be a full 4K resolution -- it is undecided which it will be AND whether it will be an OLED or IPS display! I personally think it will be 2.7K IPS for cost reasons if they want the rugged super-smartphone to be under $1000 US.

I've heard Fuji is ALSO interested and MAY have seen a prototype from said VERY LARGE MEDIA company but I don't have any other info as of yet as to what THEIR plans are!

---

Sooooooo, it looks like SOME of the Big Boys in Camera Tech are going into Super-Smartphones with all-in-one super-sensors and IP-68 ruggedness ratings! WHAT are Canon and Nikon going to do....... ( I hear crickets chirping !!!! ) ......

Last edited:
Upvote 0
don't believe for one second there will ever be phones with APS-C sensors, not even m43. physically simply too large, especially optical lens and cooling needs (for video)

i do look forward to Canon M5 mk. II at $ 899 beating Fuji X-T3 and M50 Mk II at $ 599.

both with same, greatly improved sensor and digic, even better AF system. M5 II with beefier grip and LP-E6N power pack for 400+ shots. M5 II with ultra-compact form factor and pop-up EVF (G5X II style).

only care for stills performance, video features totally irrelevant to me, I never record videos.

Upvote 0