Izii Morris

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Canon EOS R, RF 28-70mm f/2L. (70mm, 1/400 sec, @f/2, ISO 400, Aperture priority, spot metering) Words cannot describe how impressed I am with this lens and the hit rate of the R's eye AF. This was taken through some brush between us in natural light (shade), with a small speedlight on a Manfrotto nano stand right behind her. I probably should have dialed down the power of the speedlight a little more, but I'm still learning and she is ecstatic about the photos. Just placed an order for the RF 85mm f/1.2L as I am very confident in Canon's new system. Best I have ever used.

Attachments

• Izii 1 web.jpg
    Izii 1 web.jpg
    717.8 KB · Views: 302
  • Izii 3 web.jpg
    Izii 3 web.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 268
Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
Jul 29, 2012
Canada
Beautiful portrait. Well done, CFB.
d055.gif

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

jd7

CR Pro
Feb 3, 2013
Fantastic photo CFB!! Definitely one of your best, in my opinion (and I'm not even a fan of black and white images). It seems the R system is agreeing with you!

How are you finding the 28-70/2 compared with your old 24-70/2.8? I've thought for a while I'd like an f1.4 lens at around 60mm to 65mm (it would replace the 50mm and 85mm lenses in my kit), and the 28-70/2 is getting close to offering that.

• Love
Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Fantastic photo CFB!! Definitely one of your best, in my opinion (and I'm not even a fan of black and white images). It seems the R system is agreeing with you!

How are you finding the 28-70/2 compared with your old 24-70/2.8? I've thought for a while I'd like an f1.4 lens at around 60mm to 65mm (it would replace the 50mm and 85mm lenses in my kit), and the 28-70/2 is getting close to offering that.
Thank you jd7. I personally find it to be a better lens for me. I don't miss 24mm at all. The 28-70 is tack sharp at f/2. It is the very best lens I have ever used so far. It is that good. I really did like the 24-70 II, a lot. A whole lot. It was also very sharp. In my opinion the sharpness and bokeh is better on the 28-70. Especially the bokeh and also the contrast to my eyes. I never look at MTF charts and wouldn't know how to read them if I did. But I sold the 24-70 to help with my switch to the R because of these new lenses and the hoped for better AF performance. So I never tried it on the R. To me, the R is a huge upgrade from the 5D Mark III I had AF wise, and the mega pixel bump is a big help too.

I don't regret switching at all. I'm still getting used to the touch and drag while looking through the viewfinder, but that may be a matter of fine tuning it that I have not figured out yet. In my opinion, if one gets the 28-70 there is no need to purchase a 35mm or 50mm unless one wants faster than f/2. I even struggled about whether or not I really need the RF 85mm f/1.2 or not since 70mm nearly gets there. But the 85 is so fast and I often need that in dark venues. I've read that it is also very sharp and quick at f/1.2. I can skip the RF 50mm. But I decided I do need the 85mm since I sold my 135 f/2, so ordered it tonight. It should be here Tuesday. Unfortunately, now I am out of things to sell. All my EF gear is gone, (along with two custom AR-15 rifles) and I'll be down to just the two lenses for quite some time now, except for my collection of old manual lenses. I'd sell them too, but eBay eats you alive with fees. However, everything was sold "Buy It Now" and it all sold in about 36 hours. I got good prices.

One thing is sure, if Canon produces an RF 70mm - say 135mm at f/2 I'd buy it ASAP. Or even a 135 f/1.8 or something. I really don't need anything longer than that for what I do and I'd be a happy camper for a long, long time. The RF 28-70? It is as near to perfect as I have ever seen.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

jd7

CR Pro
Feb 3, 2013
Thank you jd7. I personally find it to be a better lens for me. I don't miss 24mm at all. The 28-70 is tack sharp at f/2. It is the very best lens I have ever used so far. It is that good. I really did like the 24-70 II, a lot. A whole lot. It was also very sharp. In my opinion the sharpness and bokeh is better on the 28-70. Especially the bokeh and also the contrast to my eyes. I never look at MTF charts and wouldn't know how to read them if I did. But I sold the 24-70 to help with my switch to the R because of these new lenses and the hoped for better AF performance. So I never tried it on the R. To me, the R is a huge upgrade from the 5D Mark III I had AF wise, and the mega pixel bump is a big help too.

I don't regret switching at all. I'm still getting used to the touch and drag while looking through the viewfinder, but that may be a matter of fine tuning it that I have not figured out yet. In my opinion, if one gets the 28-70 there is no need to purchase a 35mm or 50mm unless one wants faster than f/2. I even struggled about whether or not I really need the RF 85mm f/1.2 or not since 70mm nearly gets there. But the 85 is so fast and I often need that in dark venues. I've read that it is also very sharp and quick at f/1.2. I can skip the RF 50mm. But I decided I do need the 85mm since I sold my 135 f/2, so ordered it tonight. It should be here Tuesday. Unfortunately, now I am out of things to sell. All my EF gear is gone, (along with two custom AR-15 rifles) and I'll be down to just the two lenses for quite some time now, except for my collection of old manual lenses. I'd sell them too, but eBay eats you alive with fees. However, everything was sold "Buy It Now" and it all sold in about 36 hours. I got good prices.

One thing is sure, if Canon produces an RF 70mm - say 135mm at f/2 I'd buy it ASAP. Or even a 135 f/1.8 or something. I really don't need anything longer than that for what I do and I'd be a happy camper for a long, long time. The RF 28-70? It is as near to perfect as I have ever seen.
Thanks for your thoughts CFB. The RF 28-70/2 does seem to be an awesome lens for events and wider portraits.
I will also be interested to hear what you think of the RF 85/1.2 - including in comparison to your 135/2, once you've had a chance to give the 85 a work out. I've been trying to convince myself to sell my 135/2 to streamline my kit, since I have the 70-200/2.8, but I don't think I can bring myself to do it! :)
Again, your photo at the start of the thread is fantastic. If you have any more from that session you can share, it would be great to see them!

Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Thanks for your thoughts CFB. The RF 28-70/2 does seem to be an awesome lens for events and wider portraits.
I will also be interested to hear what you think of the RF 85/1.2 - including in comparison to your 135/2, once you've had a chance to give the 85 a work out. I've been trying to convince myself to sell my 135/2 to streamline my kit, since I have the 70-200/2.8, but I don't think I can bring myself to do it! :)
Again, your photo at the start of the thread is fantastic. If you have any more from that session you can share, it would be great to see them!
Thanks again. Selling the 135mm f/2L was a tough call. It was the first lens I felt I took a really good photo with. I really enjoyed the rendering it had. It was my favorite lens. I used the EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II a whole lot at model boot camps, but sometimes the background seemed a little busy. But I loved that lens too. The fact that it is an internal zoom gives it a big cool factor, to me. That lens is a beast.

I'm still going through the photos from that session and will post some in color. My Lightroom/Photoshop skills are very rudimentary. I really need to take a class.

Upvote 0