Industry News: Nikon to make a D6 announcement on September 4, 2019

Yep. I often still have to use media between my Macs and PC's because networking them is always a hassle.

I used to have a pair of purple converse Chuck Taylor's that some media company gave me promoting their "sneaker net" storage products. I guess I gave them away. I'm pretty sure they went out of business. Iomega or SyQuest. Can't remember.

Upvote 0

Architect1776

Defining the poetics of space through Architecture
Aug 18, 2017
Williamsport, PA
Should be interesting to see the relative directions Nikon and Canon go with their new pro bodies. I can't see myself investing in a 1DX Mark III at this point but who knows. There would have to be some pretty compelling advantages. Those insanely expensive and increasingly obsolete CFAST cards are going to be yet another waste of storage dollars I imagine.

I doubt cfast will be used anymore by Canon, I hope.

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
I was worried about the cost of CFast when buying the 1DX2, more like I just didn't want to afford them as opposed to couldn't. I've used three of these guys extensively shooting video at 4K60 without a hiccup. That's 256 GB for $100 USD! I only chanced buying the first thinking it'd still be OK for photos but was pleasantly surprised. So, for me it's a non-issue.

Upvote 0
Physically they are same(Type-B) but use different protocols. Xqd is pci-e 2.0 interface with some unknown protocol while CFxpress moves to PCI-e 3.0 interface with NVMe protocol (electrical interface being same betn two many devices are capable of supporting CFxpress via firmware upgrade.). Both CF(IDE) & CFast(Sata) are dead moving forward with introfuction of CFxpress. Since Canon absolutley loves antiquated standards(Micro B connector on 90D with USB 2.0 controller) we can rest assured that replacement for 1Dx Mk 2 will come with atleast 1x CFast or CF slot unlike D6 which is moving away from 2xXQD.

I would expect the D6 to be similar to the Z6/Z7 bodies where you have a hybrid CFExpress/XQD slot.

Upvote 0
I like it! This will mean we get a 1Dx mark III with similar features (I hope).

As a wildlife photographer I'm torn between moving to the Sony A9 (A9 II) or sticking with the Canon lineup. If the 1Dx Mark III has compelling features I don't mind staying with Canon DSLR. As hyped as mirrorless is for all other kinds of photography...when it comes to wildlife I think DSLR still has many advantages.

Upvote 0

ethanz

1DX II
CR Pro
Apr 12, 2016
ethanzentz.com
Wow. The Nikon D6 specs sound fantastic. Hey Canon, are you awake? Better be.

cat-sleeping-habits-blog-858x429.jpg

Upvote 0
Feb 19, 2016
I am nit-picking but IBIS isn't a "mirrorless technology" - Sony, Minolta, Pentax, Olympus all used it in SLR cameras, in some cases many years ago.

The D6 looks a great camera - in truth, at the absolute top end there isn't much difference between Canon and Nikon in terms of build quality, features or even - for the most part - lens quality. It's a bit like arguing whether one prefers Bentley or Rolls Royce. So I sincerely hope Nikon put out a great camera as it only keeps the pressure on Canon.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0