Do you think the 90D is superior to the 7DII?

Hey First I know that the 90D is not out in consumers hands yet. But does anyone think that the New 90D is a good successor for the 7DII? Anyone see any features from the 7DII that should be in the 90D? I think the number of focus points should be? Plus Dual Slots and 2 digic 8 processors. thoughts?

Aussie shooter

https://brettguyphotography.picfair.com/
Dec 6, 2016
brettguyphotography.picfair.com
Short answer. No. long answer in some ways it will far surpass the 7d2 especially in sensor performance and if you care about it, video capabilities but In the areas that really matter to most 7d2 users it will fall short. Things like durability cannot be ignored as a massively important part of the attraction of a professional camera like the 7d2

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Short answer. No. long answer in some ways it will far surpass the 7d2 especially in sensor performance and if you care about it, video capabilities but In the areas that really matter to most 7d2 users it will fall short. Things like durability cannot be ignored as a massively important part of the attraction of a professional camera like the 7d2
In my limited experience, the majority of 7DII users are hobbyists although many pros do use one. Perhaps we move in different circles - outside of the Galapagos - as I tend to mix with hobbyists on my jaunts and you may be on the professional circuit in your work!

Upvote 0
Easily. By leaps and bounds. Honestly though DSLRs are dead. No reason to use one. And this is coming from an original 5D owner since 2005. I was there camped out in a tent. Original adopter and hardcore Canon user for over a decade. I really don't know who's buying into a DSLR these days other than those hesitant about mirrorless (in 2019). I stopped using DSLRs 3-4 years ago and never looked back.

Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
I really don't know who's buying into a DSLR these days other than those hesitant about mirrorless (in 2019). I stopped using DSLRs 3-4 years ago and never looked back.

Funnily there are still about two DSLRs being sold for every MILC globally. In the US (and probably Europe), it's more like three to one.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
In my limited experience, the majority of 7DII users are hobbyists although many pros do use one. Perhaps we move in different circles - outside of the Galapagos - as I tend to mix with hobbyists on my jaunts and you may be on the professional circuit in your work!

Canon does classify the 7D2 as an "advanced amateur" body, using their nomenclature, although one step higher than the x0D. "Prosumer" is probably also as good a term as any. No doubt many pros have also bought 7D bodies, for use as a backup or second camera if nothing else.

Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

Dec 6, 2016
No. I am not a professional . But the attraction of a professional camera is strong. When I do travel to special places like the Galapagos or the polar regions I like the idea of a professionally built camera. Dual slots and a very rugged body give me a peace call of mind that a lower level of camera doesn't. Don't get me wrong. The 90d is tempting simply due to that sensor but I would forever be worried that it or a card may fail in a place I will never have the opportunity to return to.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
No. I am not a professional . But the attraction of a professional camera is strong. When I do travel to special places like the Galapagos or the polar regions I like the idea of a professionally built camera. Dual slots and a very rugged body give me a peace call of mind that a lower level of camera doesn't. Don't get me wrong. The 90d is tempting simply due to that sensor but I would forever be worried that it or a card may fail in a place I will never have the opportunity to return to.
I am paranoid about equipment failure. We travelled with a 5DSR and 5DIV, 2x 100-400mm II, Sony RX10 IV, 2 Canon chargers, multiple USB chargers, MacBook Pro, iPad Pro + 2 chargers, card reader, several extra cables, various types of adapters and spare batteries galore. But, we only used 1 card in each camera and downloaded each night and backed up on an SSD drive. We also both took shots. Card failure is the one area I don’t seem to worry about. Computer and chargers worry me as well as cables. It transpired that the MacBook failed to recognise our cameras and card reader but the tablet saved the day.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
While the sensor may be better, it has fewer AF points and does not have a body that is robust enough to use as a hammer. My 7D2 has survived a lot of salt spray, -30C temperatures, and rain. That’s what the camera is for!

You can’t compare a 5 year old camera designed for one purpose to a new camera designed for another.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
Hey First I know that the 90D is not out in consumers hands yet. But does anyone think that the New 90D is a good successor for the 7DII? Anyone see any features from the 7DII that should be in the 90D? I think the number of focus points should be? Plus Dual Slots and 2 digic 8 processors. thoughts?

As an overall general purpose APS-C the 90D will be a better camera than the 7D Mark II. Heck, the 80D is a better general purpose APS-C DSLR compared to the 7D Mark II, mostly because of better image quality at low ISO (ISO 100- ISO 400).

As a replacement for the 7D Mark II and the things most 7D mark II users typically do with it, the 90D is not the answer.

* Lack of Spot AF and Single Point AF with 4 and 8 point expansion. As has already been said repeatedly on other threads here, 9-point Zone AF is not the same thing as Single Point AF with expansion.
* Build quality and durability in general and shutter durability in particular. The 60D/70D/80D shutters do not last as long as the 7D Mark II shutters do.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
As an overall general purpose APS-C the 90D will be a better camera than the 7D Mark II. Heck, the 80D is a better general purpose APS-C DSLR compared to the 7D Mark II, mostly because of better image quality at low ISO (ISO 100- ISO 400).

As a replacement for the 7D Mark II and the things most 7D mark II users typically do with it, the 90D is not the answer.

* Lack of Spot AF and Single Point AF with 4 and 8 point expansion. As has already been said repeatedly on other threads here, 9-point Zone AF is not the same thing as Single Point AF with expansion.
* Build quality and durability in general and shutter durability in particular. The 60D/70D/80D shutters do not last as long as the 7D Mark II shutters do.
It does have spot AF according to the official Canon site. I experimented earlier this year with 4 and 8 point expansion vs 9-point zone and decided to use the 9-points for birds in flight including hummingbirds, which I have been recently posting, and flying dragonflies. The shutter durability has been upgraded. According to Photography Life it is now rated at 200,000 cycles https://photographylife.com/canon-80d-vs-90d although TDP has it at 120,000.

Upvote 0
Mar 2, 2012
You can’t compare a 5 year old camera designed for one purpose to a new camera designed for another.

Why not? I could compare a 5 year old camera to a jack-o-lantern if I wanted to!

Black, takes pictures, doubles as a cruddy hammer with potential risk to picture taking

Orange, delivers smiles, easily recycled after cooking delicious pie.

In all seriousness, I banged my 5Dii against a low ceiling once, and it dislocated the AF sensor. Service center fixed it with no cost, but I’d recommend against using your camera for carpentry :p

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

Dec 6, 2016
I am paranoid about equipment failure. We travelled with a 5DSR and 5DIV, 2x 100-400mm II, Sony RX10 IV, 2 Canon chargers, multiple USB chargers, MacBook Pro, iPad Pro + 2 chargers, card reader, several extra cables, various types of adapters and spare batteries galore. But, we only used 1 card in each camera and downloaded each night and backed up on an SSD drive. We also both took shots. Card failure is the one area I don’t seem to worry about. Computer and chargers worry me as well as cables. It transpired that the MacBook failed to recognise our cameras and card reader but the tablet saved the day.
I know what you mean. My standard kit is the 7d2 and appropriate lenses in carry on. A 700d and kit lenses in checked luggage in case of a theft of the main gear. Laptop and two 1tb portable hard drives. Down load files every opportunity get and back up immediately. Wipe cards and go again

Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
The shutter durability has been upgraded. According to Photography Life it is now rated at 200,000 cycles https://photographylife.com/canon-80d-vs-90d although TDP has it at 120,000.
Unless Canon made another mistake in their material here, it is 120,000:

"Canon engineers have raised the durability rating of the EOS 90D’s shutter to nearly 120,000 cycles, up from 100,000 cycles on the previous EOS 80D model. Keep in mind, again, that this is a shutter now designed for 10 fps operation."

From: https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/...ormance-features/eos-90d-performance-features

... what a huge URL o_O

Upvote 0
While the sensor may be better, it has fewer AF points and does not have a body that is robust enough to use as a hammer. My 7D2 has survived a lot of salt spray, -30C temperatures, and rain. That’s what the camera is for!

My 80D has survived the same conditions. Sea water, sand, falling on a rock etc... Still works as if it was new.

Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
Unless Canon made another mistake in their material here, it is 120,000:

"Canon engineers have raised the durability rating of the EOS 90D’s shutter to nearly 120,000 cycles, up from 100,000 cycles on the previous EOS 80D model. Keep in mind, again, that this is a shutter now designed for 10 fps operation."
Thanks for pointing that out, Joules.

... what a huge URL o_O
Maybe next time you'll use that Insert link (Ctrl + K) feature ;)

Upvote 0