Industry News: Nikon announces development of the D6 and AF-S Nikkor 120-300mm f/2.8E FL ED SR VR lens

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
MELVILLE, NY (September 4, 2019 at 12:01 A.M. EDT) – Nikon Inc. is pleased to announce the development of the Nikon D6 professional DSLR camera and the AF-S NIKKOR 120-300mm f/2.8E FL ED SR VR telephoto zoom lens.
Nikon released the D1 digital SLR camera in 1999, making 2019 the 20th anniversary of the single-digit D series. Thanks to the imaging know-how cultivated over Nikon’s long history in camera development, Nikon’s professional DSLR cameras have continued to evolve by introducing some of the industry’s most advanced technologies and responding to the strict demands of professional photographers with the ultimate in performance and reliability, even in the most severe conditions. With the D6, Nikon is currently developing its most advanced DSLR to date.

This year also marks the 60th anniversary of the Nikon F mount. The new AF-S NIKKOR 120-300mm f/2.8E FL ED SR VR F mount lens that Nikon is developing will provide professional photographers in fields such as sports...

Continue reading...

Reactions: 1 user
Not much of announcement. Not even what the resolution of the sensor is or if it will have ibis. Nothing other than "We're working on a pro camera and nice lens".Wow! What a shocker. Who would have anticipated something so amazing! I think I'll go and announce that I'm working on an interstellar space drive ... details to follow.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
It is nice that Nikon is signaling continued support of its legacy lens mount. Canon has said they will continue with the EF mount but an actual lens release would back up those words with action. Given that the Sigma version is about $3,000 with a $500 rebate, I would expect the Nikon version to be at least $4,000.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Pixel

CR Pro
Sep 6, 2011
It is nice that Nikon is signaling continued support of its legacy lens mount. Canon has said they will continue with the EF mount but an actual lens release would back up those words with action. Given that the Sigma version is about $3,000 with a $500 rebate, I would expect the Nikon version to be at least $4,000.
I would say you’re way low. $6-7k

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

Your estimate is probably low by a few thousand dollars. The prime Nikkor 300mm f/2.8 is over 5k and this will be priced higher and be heavier.

I like the idea of a zoom, but I'm not sure how practical it is. The Canon 300 f/2.8 is already chunky but it is small and light enough to handhold for a while. I can't imagine how one would zoom it while holding most of its weight in one's left hand. The 200-400s are different in that a lot more people use supports for those heavier lenses.

Upvote 0
That lens sounds incredible though. On cropped frame or with a teleconverter ...... priced right and it'll be would even make it sweeter. Wish canon had something like this.
Well...if it's a variant of the gawdawful Sigma 120-300 f2.8 OS then Canon has nothing to worry about. Slow and ponderous AF...looses all it's magnification at min focus (down to about 240mm), an OS system that is jarring and a size / weight to break anyone's back.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Sep 26, 2018

Huh, I did not know Sigma had a 120-300mm 2.8. That's certainly an intriguing proposition

Upvote 0