Patent: 83mp full-frame image sensor from Canon

Right now with what we know, for Canon to do an 83MP full frame sensor would involve some creativity on their part.

creativity?..

5054129264_88263541d5_b.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Rumours are Canon will have ibis next, dynamic range doesn’t make any difference to IQ

And here it goes...
That statement isn't exactly correct. DR does affect the IQ, especially when editing. However, if this sensor has the DR of 5DIV and no banding, I'll likely buy it.

Upvote 0
For me as a nature photographer, the big deal breaker will be the camera's speed. With the D850 at 9 fps (with grip) and now the A7R4 at 10 fps you can have a high res camera that's versatile....meaning it can be used for landscapes as well as wildlife including action. I have the 5DS R and it's great but too slow for most wildlife at 5 fps. If this is anything less than 7 fps it's probably not going to work for most wildlife folks. I would love to be able to use this...especially for large prints.

Upvote 0
(...no snark intended...)

Please enlighten...what are the downsides of more pixels?

If the dynamic range isn't decreased, there's no downsides, apart from 2: a) longer in-camera processing times and therefore less fps, and b) larger raw file size, more storage required and worse editing software performance.
But for the image quality - no downsides, just benefits (again if the DR isn't degraded).

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Personally I’ve never had issues with DR effecting IQ (product and architecture) using Sony or Canon cameras unless i’d done something wrong at capture.

I have however come across IQ and detail issues by not having enough resolution.

Given the same resolutions and sensor sizes, a sensor with a lower DR will have more noise esp. in the shadows. When you work with controlled light, it's not that important.

Upvote 0
Sep 3, 2018
Given the same resolutions and sensor sizes, a sensor with a lower DR will have more noise esp. in the shadows. When you work with controlled light, it's not that important.
I’ sure you are 100% correct however, using say a 21MP Canon vs a 42 MP Sony the DR (shadow noise) has never been a issue with my architecture work, only resolution/detail.

Upvote 0
Well, I'm glad to see this kind of technology, but I don't need to make wall-sized enlargements, nor see the bacteria in the pores of my subject, nor do I want to haul around a 300 pound tripod to keep cameral shake so small that even 83 mp is sharp (unless Canon comes out with the IBIS to be able to use this sort of hi-res sensor). I'm an outdoor photographer and shoot mostly hand-held. I get more excited by HDR than by hi-res. Still .... I'm a sucker for new tech, and I feel that old "I want the latest" urge.
Good news! None of that will be impaired by a 83MP sensor camera, should you decide to get one. You can use it just like you use your current camera.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
At what point does the sensor resolution exceed the resolving power of the lens?
As far as overall system resolution (which is really what matters), increased sensor resolution stops offering benefit at the point where you are using the sensor and lens to take pictures of pigs flying over snowbanks in Hell. Not before.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
At what point does the sensor resolution exceed the resolving power of the lens?
Never:

Reposted yet again/again/again:-

System resolution can be broadly shorthanded down to this equation, it isn't perfect but pretty close.

tsr = 1/sqrt((1/lsr) ² + (1/ssr) ² )

Where tsr is total system resolution, lsr is lens spatial resolution, and ssr is sensor spatial resolution.

So if, for example, we have a sensor that can resolve 100 lppmm, and a lens that can resolve 100 lppmm we get this

1/sqrt((1/100) ² + (1/100) ² ) = tsr of 71 lppmm

Leave the same lens on, good or bad, and double the sensor resolution to 200 lppmm

1/sqrt((1/100) ² + (1/200) ² ) = tsr of 89 lppmm

You will notice that the system resolution, even in this simplified form, can never resolve 100% of the lowest performing portion of that system, so if a 24MP sensor is returning 80% of the potential of a lens then a 50MP sensor might return 90%, how useful that is in real life is a moot point, but it does illustrate that even the most modest lens will show increased resolution when put in front of a higher resolving sensor.

Upvote 0
but that camera has ibis and probably much better dynamic range. and of course more MP.

Why would it have to have IBIS?

My friend has IBIS on his A7R iii and he learned first day in the redwoods taking photos that IBIS was virtually useless compared to a tripod shot for print quality stuff.

Weddings or portraits is one story, but for landscape shooting, most photographers would shoot tripod and won't need IBIS or IS turned on in the lens.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Busted Knuckles

Enjoy this breath and the next
Oct 2, 2013
Could it be that Canon is going to do in both directions - an 1DxIII what 30 ish MP and lots of FPS, etc., AND a 5DsR replacement w/ lots of MP and not so many FPS? I did notice I had to up my technique - not hard, just pay attention - when I rented the 5Dsr over my 5DIII.

I agree w/ those who think of being able to shoot a bit (fair bit) wider and crop down to the useful image for weddings, even some wildlife pics, etc. From my perspective more options = good thing. With focusing issues being resolved (pun not so intended) by on sensor focusing and the large supply of really high resolution 24/28/35/50 mm fast glass options, seems like a good thing to me.

Upvote 0