Canon Patent Application: More Quad Pixel Applications Emerge

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Today, two more patent applications discussing quad-pixel auto-focus sensors have been published by the Japan Patent Office. The first patent application 2023-167634 deals with the fact that scan times will vary between row and column scanning, which could lead to inaccurate auto-focus performance. Many conventional image sensors give priority to reading out signals in either

See full article...

Reactions: 1 users
Sep 20, 2020
Interesting.
The OM-1 has a stacked sensor.
It is possible QPAF it would only work with a very fast read-out.
I do have to note that the R10 and R7 both have a very slow read-out but better AF than the OM-1.
It would be great if it would for Canon to only have fast readout going forward.
I can't see all cameras.
Maybe for every camera above the R50 is too much to ask for.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
The short passage of the first patent seems to describe a new readout sequence in which each pixel in a row is scanned sequentially (like typical sensors) but this occurs in every column simultaneously. Could this be correct?

If so, it wouldn't be global shutter but it could increase sensor readout speed a thousand fold.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Aug 10, 2021
Interesting.
The OM-1 has a stacked sensor.
It is possible QPAF it would only work with a very fast read-out.
I do have to note that the R10 and R7 both have a very slow read-out but better AF than the OM-1.
It would be great if it would for Canon to only have fast readout going forward.
I can't see all cameras.
Maybe for every camera above the R50 is too much to ask for.
I can't imagine it being in R10ii or R8ii

Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
The short passage of the first patent seems to describe a new readout sequence in which each pixel in a row is scanned sequentially (like typical sensors) but this occurs in every column simultaneously. Could this be correct?

If so, it wouldn't be global shutter but it could increase sensor readout speed a thousand fold.
That would seem like a global shutter since there would not be any skew.
That would create less image noise than a global shutter but more than a typical stacked sensor.
That sounds like a great compromise.
Sony is Doomed!

Upvote 0
Aug 10, 2021
Interesting, I put the chances of getting them at 100%.
The R8 is pretty much the RP II with a different name.
I don't see another name change coming.
That is true, the R8 is about what RPii seemed likely to be. I could be wrong, but I think they would give it with ibis for the mk ii bodies. Why do you think they will have it for lower priced?

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
That is true, the R8 is about what RPii seemed likely to be. I could be wrong, but I think they would give it with ibis for the mk ii bodies. Why do you think they will have it for lower priced?
I’m not sure IBIS would fit in the R8/RP body without making it a centimeter or so thicker.

Upvote 0
Nov 2, 2016
I’m not sure IBIS would fit in the R8/RP body without making it a centimeter or so thicker.
I don’t know how thick the mechanics for it are with Canon, but for the much smaller sensor, Apple and I assume others, have gotten 3D IBIS into their phones. How does the thickness scale up? That’s the question.

Upvote 0