Canon EOS R firmware 1.4.0 now available for download

Cryhavoc

Eos R, EM1 MkII, Lumix G9, Lumix S1R
Jan 17, 2019
Seattle
Confirmed!
Animal eye detect is definitely in the R now.
The AF placed the face detect box around the cat instantly, and then locked onto an eye very shortly thereafter.
The boxer is downstairs asleep so I didn't try it out him yet, but the cat was yelling at me to go feed him at 2:20 in the morning so I snapped a couple shots of him. lol

Also, yeah, touch and drag auto focus is computer mouse like in its motion. It's fantastic now, whereas before it was good. Smooth responsive and quick.

The R on 1.4 is definitely a much different camera than the one I bought last November on rev 1.0

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 7 users
Upvote 0

Cryhavoc

Jan 17, 2019
Seattle
D'oh, I was misreading what this was.

I was reading this for some reason only as the camera processing internally the different focused images.

I wasn't thinking of it as being analogous of taking bracketed exposures.....where in this case, I now understand the camera sets different focus points as you hold the button down..

I have a macro rail system I use for macro stuff, I shoot an image, turn the screw to move the camera ever so slightly...and snap a pick, lather, rinse repeat.

I'd not thought of the camera doing that focus shifting automatically. That's interesting.

But even so, what kind of control do you have over this? How many "slices" of focus can it take and how is set up on the camera?

Even so, if I did shoot the bracketed focus like I would do a set of bracketed exposures for HDR and the like, I'd not want the cameras version of compositing them together, I'd trust the post work on that still to the computer, using Photoshop, Affinity Photo, One1RAW or something even more specialized for focus stacking....which is what I thought this whole thing was about.

LOL....I gotta start paying more attention to what I read here and less on the day job....it distracts me!!
;)

C

I'd also love for the R to have focus bracketing similar to what I use in my Olympus OMD EM1 and EM5 mkII
You get all the shots you specify FB to take as well as a final image. for macro shooting, I specify around 8 shots, and for general focus bracketing, I like to use 5. In the Oly's, you get all the images and the final in camera processed image.

Canon can easily incorporate this I would think, into the R.
Until they do, I'll use the OMD's.

Upvote 0

Cryhavoc

Jan 17, 2019
Seattle
In one of the video's I saw two faces, and then arrows next to the focus point. That seems it's likely to 'switch' to someone else, but maybe someone can confirm this. I have four cats around here, but no R ;)

Haven't had the opportunity to try it but I will later today when the daughter and grand daughters come over.
What you can do for sure is to use touch focus and slide the icon over to the person you want to lock into.
Touch and drag auto focus point is night and day different that it was with earlier firmware revs.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
Interesting. I guess if you're out and about without planning to shoot macro, and maybe didn't bring a tripod, or macro rails...this would indeed be handy.
Or if you don't want to do that "shift focus, shoot" 40 times manually.

Or if your scene would require a 100 meters long "macro rail"....

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Confirmed!
The AF placed the face detect box around the cat instantly, and then locked onto an eye very shortly thereafter.
The boxer is downstairs asleep so I didn't try it out him yet, but the cat was yelling at me to go feed him at 2:20 in the morning so I snapped a couple shots of him. lol

Also, yeah, touch and drag auto focus is computer mouse like in its motion. It's fantastic now, whereas before it was good. Smooth responsive and quick.

The R on 1.4 is definitely a much different camera than the one I bought last November on rev 1.0
The prospect of a higher spec R with new firmware is getting exciting.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
I'd also love for the R to have focus bracketing similar to what I use in my Olympus OMD EM1 and EM5 mkII
You get all the shots you specify FB to take as well as a final image. for macro shooting, I specify around 8 shots, and for general focus bracketing, I like to use 5. In the Oly's, you get all the images and the final in camera processed image.

Canon can easily incorporate this I would think, into the R.
Until they do, I'll use the OMD's.

What happens if you're in single shot mode? Do you have to press the shutter button that many times? (I don't think it should work that way, but apparently for exposure bracketing at least, it does--so I'd expect they did the same thing here. I remember having difficulty with my pictures being all over the map exposure-wise until I realized it was on and overriding what I was doing 2 out of every 3 shots---even after changing subjects! On the other hand--that was on a T6i/750D and for all I know they were smarter about it on the R/RP.)

Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
What happens if you're in single shot mode? Do you have to press the shutter button that many times? (I don't think it should work that way, but apparently for exposure bracketing at least, it does--so I'd expect they did the same thing here. I remember having difficulty with my pictures being all over the map exposure-wise until I realized it was on and overriding what I was doing 2 out of every 3 shots---even after changing subjects! On the other hand--that was on a T6i/750D and for all I know they were smarter about it on the R/RP.)

I would assume the focus bracketing would work like exposure bracketing does (at least on my 5D3). Once I set exposure bracketing, I hold the button down and it takes all the different exposures.

I keep my camera on single shot 99.99% of the time, but with exposure bracketing it shoots as long as I hold the button.

I'd assume focus stacking would do the same on the R cameras?

C

Upvote 0

Architect1776

Defining the poetics of space through Architecture
Aug 18, 2017
Williamsport, PA
Confirmed!

Sounds like your cat and mine have been comparing notes. :):)

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
Yup, I can confirm that face detect works better than eye-AF. Took 20 shots with each. 100% of the face detect shots had the nearest eye in perfect focus with f1.2. With eye-af around 80% were sharp and some where only kind of sharp, like the variation of focus quality from a dslr.
It looks really cool with the small square tracking the eye, but for critical focus I’m going back to face detect.

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
Yup, I can confirm that face detect works better than eye-AF. Took 20 shots with each. 100% of the face detect shots had the nearest eye in perfect focus with f1.2. With eye-af around 80% were sharp and some where only kind of sharp, like the variation of focus quality from a dslr.
It looks really cool with the small square tracking the eye, but for critical focus I’m going back to face detect.
Your results for the eye-detect match my limited tests yesterday. I need more time working with it, learning its wrinkles...But I did not think to try face-detect only! Thank you!

Clearly, with the EVF even slightly choppy the way it is now, some kind of tracking is needed to stay on the face during bursts. Otherwise, guess work. (For portraits, I've never felt any kind of problem with tracking on my own through the dSLRs' OVF. But I have lost track of birds at 400mm with the 100-400mm when the birds are fast and close. Faces of people? Never.)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
I would assume the focus bracketing would work like exposure bracketing does (at least on my 5D3). Once I set exposure bracketing, I hold the button down and it takes all the different exposures.

I keep my camera on single shot 99.99% of the time, but with exposure bracketing it shoots as long as I hold the button.

I'll have to try that. (I think when I had that experience I was shooting tethered; hard to hold THAT button down.) That at least would be a sensible way for the feature to operate in single shot mode (though the manual should TELL you that you need to hold the button down).

Upvote 0
Or if your scene would require a 100 meters long "macro rail"....

Only half serious I know, but the use of a rail can only apply to fine movements over a short distance. I dunno exactly how to explain it - in large part I guess because your perspective would change so much over large distances that the images couldn't be merged. If you were shooting landscapes at wide aperture, it still wouldn't really work, you'd be best refocusing, whether manually or choosing AF points (or getting the camera to do it) - and you wouldn't need to take dozens or hundreds of shots, because the depth of field is so much greater at landscape distances. It simply doesn't make any sense on a non-macro scale.

Upvote 0