Canon to add 24p recording to the Canon EOS 90D, Canon EOS RP & Canon EOS M6 Mark II

Oct 18, 2011
Now that these cameras offer the exact number of p’s everybody was crying over, I’m certain orders will go through the roof!

Or, the people complaining endlessly over this feature will simply point to another item missing on that holy spec sheet.
Nah, I actually liked most of the updates in the camera overall; but negating the biggest reason to move from an 80D to a 90D for me (4k recording) definitely made me upset with the decision. Especially since the only viable option Canon had in 4k was the EOS-R (which is still an APS-C level crop in 4k), which neccesitates me moving to RF lenses to maximize it, at which point its price wise comparable to just go with an A7III.

I'm glad they added this, as Canon's DPAF is still the best video AF I've seen, and Ive consistently found the xxD models to be the best price/feature ratio in the whole canon lineup

Upvote 0
Oct 18, 2011
I think it's far more likely that they genuinely thought no-one would ever use 24p on a low end camera. And I'm still convinced 90% of the people complaining about the lack of 24p would never use it anyway (or would never have bought one of the affected cameras.)
This shows a woeful lack of understanding on your part; or, if you truly believe that's Canon's approach, a comical lack of market research for a major company.

editing systems have advanced quite a bit lately, so interlacing 24p and 30p footage isnt the end of the world, but for someone like myself whose entire catalog is shot in 24p, I'd change cameras WAY before I'd switch to 30p just because Canon didnt want to include it.

I also think you're mistaking "low-end" camera. This thing is $1k. Major hollywood productions are using similar cameras as crash cams and b-cams. You've almost certainly seen stuff in the cinema shot on a GH4/GH5, which is in a similar price range. It would also show a comical lack of market research if Canon didnt know a lot of people are making money shooting on the xxD line.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

PureClassA

Canon since age 5. The A1
CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
You think that’s something you can just enable via firmware? The 90D and the M6II have full-sensor 4K because the new sensor and electronics can do it. The R hardware can’t. Simple.
Same Digic Processor. Same everything. Crop sensor vs full frame. Thats it.

Upvote 0

Sensors have a readout speed that is independent of the image processor being used. You can't predict what the camera will be capable of without knowing the details of the sensor capabilities.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland

You seem very sure of yourself for being so uninformed. To quote myself:

First, three words: sensor readout speed. Second, "DIGIC 8" is a marketing term. DIGIC SoCs of the same generation share some commonalities, but there's little reason to assume that they're all exactly the same with regard to capabilities and performance. So no, it's not "we know", it's "you assume", and we all know what assumptions are worth.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
Can you give me the math as to how the crop mode is not 1:1 and is 3:2? Because I am veryyyyy interested you see how you came to that conclusion. I mean you did do your own calculations right? you didn’t just hear that off some random forum?

The crop factor in 90D 4K crop mode is about 1.2. That, certainly not by coincidence, means about 6K resolution, and likely exactly 6K. The camera then downsamples that to 4K. So 3:2, or 9:4 if you want to think in terms of area. The theory is that this produces better quality at the expense of generating more heat than full-sensor 4K, and this is exactly what real-world tests show.

(BTW, we can probably expect a similar implementation on the 1DX Mark III, except that the flagship body might also be able to record straight 1:1 6K!)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Oct 18, 2011
The crop factor in 90D 4K crop mode is about 1.2. That, certainly not by coincidence, means about 6K resolution, and likely exactly 6K. The camera then downsamples that to 4K. So 3:2, or 9:4 if you want to think in terms of area. The theory is that this produces better quality at the expense of generating more heat than full-sensor 4K, and this is exactly what real-world tests show.

(BTW, we can probably expect a similar implementation on the 1DX Mark III, except that the flagship body might also be able to record straight 1:1 6K!)
And of course, this is what the a7III does as well. At base ISO, this is generally a good thing (especially for Canon who has generally had the kind of resolution that argues they are sampling 900px and scaling up to 1080, let alone producing 6k and scaling to 4k.) Every early test I've seen says that Canon 4k video is pretty good...which means one read is that they intentionally tried to limit the RP and 90D......in some weird hope people would buy a C200 over a 90D I guess?
Its not a hardware thing. At all.
This. If ever there was proof that Canon will cripple things bcause they literally can, its that 4k/24 was left off...just because. In the same way that 1080/24 isnt on the RP....just because. If they cant produce it via engineering, well, fire all your damn engineers and beg Sony, Panasonic, Olympus, Fuji, Nikon, Blackmagic, GoPro, and about 50 companies who barely even produce real cameras to give you their expertise, because they're all doing it in spades. I had 1080/24 a decade ago.

If your camera can do 4k30, it can do 4k24. If your camera can do 4k24, it can do absolutely do 1080/24. Leaving them off is Canons way of saying they dont see their market.

Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
I think it's far more likely that they genuinely thought no-one would ever use 24p on a low end camera. And I'm still convinced 90% of the people complaining about the lack of 24p would never use it anyway (or would never have bought one of the affected cameras.)

Having said that - if the 90D is truly meant to be a 7D II replacement then I can understand people being upset about no 24p. But on a Powershot? Really???

My thought was that they do not want to disturb users with too many options. I myself are often annoyed by those crowded options everywhere (super markets, web pages (not canonrumors :), camera menus) but ... while Canon does a good job to cram all the options onto the screen:

Maybe it is time to create a Canon DYM application (design your menues) where you can choose between standard menu and e.g. up to five Custom Menus. This should include the viewfinder info (what and where). Running the design up on a PC or tablet is convenient and flexible ... but that is just my dream of a fully configurable camera with maybe one HW button to switch between menues to have access to the standard menu!

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
It certainly is a hardware limitation for the R.

Did you read my reply to an earlier post: https://www.canonrumors.com/forum/i...eos-rp-canon-eos-m6-mark-ii.37707/post-797542

Canon had a very low read out speed for long time. The 1D X II was the only camera with a lot of throughout for a while. With the 90D and M6 II we're finally seeing Canon introducing a new generation of sensors with drastically higher read out speed.
The R has always had 4k 24p:
MP4/H.264 UHD 4K (3840 x 2160) at 23.976p/24.00p/25p/29.97p Full HD (1920 x 1080) at 23.976p/24.00p/25p/29.97p/50p/59.94p HD (1280 x 720) at 25p/29.97p/50p/59.94p/100p/119.88p

Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Since Canon and Controversy go together like two peas in a pod lately, I'd like to say, they did this just so that they could come back and say, 'look, we provide functionality improving firmware updates too.' :)
Yeah, and no other company does it. :rolleyes:

Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
So, an omitted feature will be added to a series of bodies through a firmware update and at least half of the posts here are complaints.

Maybe be happy Canon listened to feedback. Life is too short for all of the griping.
I have to agree with you, Dantana. Bitching and moaning at a gift. :rolleyes: Most of them won't be buying in the first place.

Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
The R has always had 4k 24p:
MP4/H.264 UHD 4K (3840 x 2160) at 23.976p/24.00p/25p/29.97p Full HD (1920 x 1080) at 23.976p/24.00p/25p/29.97p/50p/59.94p HD (1280 x 720) at 25p/29.97p/50p/59.94p/100p/119.88p
The comment chain I was replying to was about 1080 120p. The R doesn't have it, the newer cameras do. I think that the R can't do 1080 120p because the hardware doesn't have the throughput, and not because Canon withholds it.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
The comment chain I was replying to was about 1080 120p. The R doesn't have it, the newer cameras do. I think that the R can't do 1080 120p because the hardware doesn't have the throughput, and not because Canon withholds it.
I understand that and deleted my post, though obviously not quick enough. ;) Still, for most of us, not a big deal. For people it matters to, buy something else. Video is extremely low on my list. Slow mo even less.

Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
Every early test I've seen says that Canon 4k video is pretty good...which means one read is that they intentionally tried to limit the RP and 90D......in some weird hope people would buy a C200 over a 90D I guess?
Dunno. I better have not the best 4k video than a cooling fan in my stills camera.

Upvote 0

freejay

CR Pro
Feb 3, 2015
I hope they'll add the 4K 1:1 crop mode of the 90D to the M6-II as well in that update.
I guess not: In a video (I don't remember which) it was suggested that that 1:1 crop creates more heat and since the M6 II body is so much smaller than the 90D's it seems unlikely. The 90D seems to overheat some times...

Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
I guess not: In a video (I don't remember which) it was suggested that that 1:1 crop creates more heat and since the M6 II body is so much smaller than the 90D's it seems unlikely. The 90D seems to overheat some times...

It is not 1:1 crop. It is 3:2 oversampling which is why it generates more heat. And the camera itself warns the user about this when the crop mode is selected. 1:1 crop is what earlier Canon bodies did exactly because it needs less throughput and processing power.

Upvote 0