A bit more about the Canon EOS-1D X Mark III [CR2]

I have to say, I kind of thought the 1DX2's release as a little disappointing in terms of how much progress had been made in the 4 years since the 1DX came out. I owned both, and I liked the II better, of course, but I waited a few years to upgrade, once the prices had almost halved on a used unit.

Back when the II came out, I had an expectation - long since disabused - that the lack of relative progress would mean a sooner upgrade to the III, and when it came, it would have disproportionately improved features. Lots of us here on this forum thought that.

I hold out hope that the III will indeed be remarkable, but I can't find one of us here who actually expects that anymore. I think our expectations are that it'll be akin to the 6D to 6D2 upgrade. Throw some megapixels on there; maybe a few new whistles. The years are no longer correlating to the progress; one would hope because behind the scenes there is much development on the R system.

The thing that continues to give us hope is that they must have something quite bodacious on the way, otherwise, why bet the company on a bunch of never-done-before R lenses without a pro body equal to them. But, the thing is, we know that's not going to be the 1DX3. The 1DX3 is most likely going to be sort of like the delta between the Sony A9 and the A92 that's being released in a couple weeks. It's just some frills for the Olympics, and likely indicates the body in development that they'd hoped to be able to announce in Q3 2019 is just not far enough along to release.

Canon spent a bajillion dollars to be an honest-to-goodness official sponsor of the Olympics ($40-200 million), and there's a product manager somewhere in Integrated Design Department 232 who had to tell the bosses that the be-all mirrorless camera they were hoping to launch to the world when everyone came to Japan won't be ready.

Meanwhile, down the hall, the guy who did something so utterly terrible that he was reassigned to the B team tinkering with the 1D body just in case the company needed a plan B is suddenly asked what he's been doing for the past 18 months. We're about to find out the answer to that question. I think the majority of us are expecting there was a lot of solitaire and resume burnishing and not a whole lot of let's-fit-eye-AF-in-this-thing-ing.

Reactions: 7 users
Upvote 0

navastronia

R6 x2 (work) + 5D Classic (fun)
Aug 31, 2018
Canon spent a bajillion dollars to be an honest-to-goodness official sponsor of the Olympics ($40-200 million), and there's a product manager somewhere in Integrated Design Department 232 who had to tell the bosses that the be-all mirrorless camera they were hoping to launch to the world when everyone came to Japan won't be ready.

Meanwhile, down the hall, the guy who did something so utterly terrible that he was reassigned to the B team tinkering with the 1D body just in case the company needed a plan B is suddenly asked what he's been doing for the past 18 months. We're about to find out the answer to that question. I think the majority of us are expecting there was a lot of solitaire and resume burnishing and not a whole lot of let's-fit-eye-AF-in-this-thing-ing.

Honestly, this is great writing. There's a lot of Canon moaning and groaning around these parts, but not nearly enough fan fiction ;)

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
Apr 1, 2016
Mirrorless is not there yet. I am still trying to get used to the focussing an tracking system. Of is not as nearly as good as the 1dx or the 5d IV. Try to get birds or even kids with the r. It is hard .... to catch a sharp picture with all that mouvement.

It is with the R, but the A9 shows this can work even better in many cases than a dslr. And that’s just the beginning; that’s what I mean with upward potential.

Is that like waiting for the flying cars that were once promised to us? Do you really have tangible data of how revolutionary ML is soon going to be over DSLRs? I cannot for the life of me think it's anything other than evolutionary. What did they say on Team Sky? Marginal Gains.

I never said ML is revolutionary. Like many new technology, it’s evolutionary but we all see where we are going, and that also (finally) includes Canon. Even reps from Canon I speak to say this is the spearhead now for future developments.

That said, to keep it on topic, I’m confident the 1dx iii will be a great camera that delivers. I do think the live view options might see the biggest upgrades though. And then you’d wish for an evf to make optimal use of that ;)

who knows next Thursday we already might hear more

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
I have to say, I kind of thought the 1DX2's release as a little disappointing in terms of how much progress had been made in the 4 years since the 1DX came out. I owned both, and I liked the II better, of course, but I waited a few years to upgrade, once the prices had almost halved on a used unit.

Back when the II came out, I had an expectation - long since disabused - that the lack of relative progress would mean a sooner upgrade to the III, and when it came, it would have disproportionately improved features. Lots of us here on this forum thought that.

I hold out hope that the III will indeed be remarkable, but I can't find one of us here who actually expects that anymore. I think our expectations are that it'll be akin to the 6D to 6D2 upgrade. Throw some megapixels on there; maybe a few new whistles. The years are no longer correlating to the progress; one would hope because behind the scenes there is much development on the R system.

The thing that continues to give us hope is that they must have something quite bodacious on the way, otherwise, why bet the company on a bunch of never-done-before R lenses without a pro body equal to them. But, the thing is, we know that's not going to be the 1DX3. The 1DX3 is most likely going to be sort of like the delta between the Sony A9 and the A92 that's being released in a couple weeks. It's just some frills for the Olympics, and likely indicates the body in development that they'd hoped to be able to announce in Q3 2019 is just not far enough along to release.

Canon probably had 1DXIII specs locked in in 2017, didn't even anticipate the A9, hadn't had a chance to see how good D5 was either, still thought they'd be top dog in AF and did the standard evolution upgrade. By early 2018 they should have been worried enough to do all new AF.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
No it's true, sure if you are just shooting landscapes or using eye-AF on slow moving people probably fine. I'm talking fast action, where it's limited to 2-3fps with tracking, not the BS 8fps with focus locked. That's what's sad!
Your 2-3 frames/sec is incorrect. I track a fast moving toddler all day. BTW: Just watch the videos above of bigds in flight and American pro footbal use. Question: Have you actually used the camera? And I don't mean for a few minutes in the shop. It's 5fps in servo, so I have no idea where you get your numbers, my friend. It is a $2k USD FF camera. Comparing to an A9 is ludicrous.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
Your 2-3 frames/sec is incorrect. I track a fast moving toddler all day. BTW: Just watch the videos above of bigds in flight and American pro footbal use. Question: Have you actually used the camera? And I don't mean for a few minutes in the shop. It's 5fps in servo, so I have no idea where you get your numbers, my friend. It is a $2k USD FF camera. Comparing to an A9 is ludicrous.
He’s talking about 3 fps in tracking priority mode and 8 fps in AF/AE locked mode. Conveniently leaving out the mode most of us use, 5 fps with release priority. And let me elaborate, with ANY 1d and 5d I owned, and I have had them all, there was abysmal hit rate with release priority, reviewers saying things like, “why would you want to use release priority and just have more shots oof.”

That has changed completely with the R, release priority does no longer mean it releases the shutter with oof shots, it’s seriously good and much better than the DSLR’s was in Focus Priority mode.
I did my usual focus test just a few days ago with the kids on the swings, my 1dx2 had a really hard time with tracking them, but better than the 1dx, which was a crapshoot. The R however was tested in very low light, the kids now swing MUCH bigger and the eye af did not let go. Very impressed !

Repeating lies doesn’t make them true...

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Nokishita Camera just published a tweet about the registration of DS126771, a yet to be announced camera, by certification authorities. Wi-Fi (IEEE 802.11b/g/n) and Bluetooth 4.1 Battery is LP-E19, that of the EOS 1D X Mark II if I'm not mistaken.

EHjEV91UwAEgmWS.jpg

Source:

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Mar 20, 2015
To be fair, at the battery gag, if you cannot afford the price of an extra battery, you probably cannot afford the camera.

So what if the Canon-branded* battery cost $2000? $3000? $6000? Would you say the same? Where do you draw the boundary?

I buy third-party batteries so that I spend the money I saved on actually going to places to take photos.

* they're not made by Canon, incidentally

Upvote 0
Considering that rumours thus far suggest two new card slots - which could mean spending a lot of money to buy a minimum of two new cards (especially if you shoot video and need large amounts of storage), I would be amazed if the Canon 1DX Mark III could not take Mark I and Mark II's batteries even if there is a slight dent in performance, because would just add further to the cost.

I love the fact that I can use my CF cards and my Mark I batteries in the 1DX Mark II.

Upvote 0
Jun 29, 2016

Similar top down like the R? The LCD pannel had (on the 1Dx and 7D as otehr models) all the information needed, it would be a shame to reduce the given information to the level of the R top down LCD screen. Unless they are planning to menu the top down LCD screen and by that allow a lot more information to be given in it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2017
That’s odd. I have shot 10 hour weddings with a 1DXii and 5D4. The 1DX often has about 50% battery left and the 5D4 uses about a battery and a half. I am a pretty heavy shooter too. I can’t say I have ever had reason to complain about the battery on the 1D camera, it’s always been excellent and I have never had to use the spare battery that I pack with the kit.
Jeah, I am suspecting that there is something wrong with my 1D. I am sure that one of the batteries is faulty, which I will investigate and return in the next month.
Maybe there is something wrong with the camera as well, hard to tell.
On a wedding I shoot about 1000-1500 images per camera. Usualy I use the 5D4 as my main camera and I shooting 2000 on that an 1000 on the 1D. And strangely enough, the 5D is pretty much all the time at the same battery level as the 1D - though I would expect a way better performance on the 1D.
Well, maybe the battery replacement will solve this mystery :-D

Upvote 0
Mirrorless is not there yet. I am still trying to get used to the focussing an tracking system. Of is not as nearly as good as the 1dx or the 5d IV. Try to get birds or even kids with the r. It is hard .... to catch a sharp picture with all that mouvement.

I'm finding it to be significantly easier with the new firmware, at least for casual portrait work. Missing my 5D Mk IV less and less...

Upvote 0
Apr 1, 2016
Upvote 0
No it's true, sure if you are just shooting landscapes or using eye-AF on slow moving people probably fine. I'm talking fast action, where it's limited to 2-3fps with tracking, not the BS 8fps with focus locked. That's what's sad!

My M6 mk II is being used for sports and track at 11fps. The 14fps isnt great true but you back it off to 10-11fps H+Tracking and it DOES track. And tracks well. It in fact hands down beats my 7D mk II and my 1D mk IV - it is in my limited time owning it only really beaten by the 1D X mk II. So if I can get my camera to track with limited time with it - it'll only get better as I learn it - then your statement has to be wrong.

People really need to use the M6 mk II to understand that if Canon have managed to make a consumer level mirrorless work better than all but their highest end D-SLR, there's the pointer for the real mirrorless future.

And if we are talking about the R well..... the new firmware is a hell of a lot better. But if you are trying to make a blanket statement about Canon Mirrorless... sorry, but Canon has a camera right now that proves the naysayers wrong.

Upvote 0