Patent: Canon RF 10-24mm f/4 and Canon RF 14-28 f/2.0

Jan 29, 2011
*sigh* Thank you. :love:
All is good, we all have a ton to learn, myself included. (y)

As a side note, Canon obviously felt justified in amalgamating the 1 series as they never went back, and they never abandoned the pro high resolution market either, that is a ridiculous thing for others to say, Canon made the highest resolution 135 format sensored camera available for years, they just did it in the 5 series, and I'd wager a lot more professional photographers use 5 series cameras than 1 series cameras.

I am very interested to see where they go with the resolution in the 1DX MkIII, I suspect it will be around the 24mp range which puts me in a quandary, not really enough of a bump to justify the upgrade but with the other bells and whistles an appealing prospect. However if it has 28mp I'm all in and would trade up as soon as the initial early adopter premium levels off.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Sep 3, 2018
I would really like to know what you mean by resolution and also how that has been abandoned, because I do not get it. Surely the current 1DX Mark II is better resolution than the 1DS Mark III. Surely dynamic range is better today than it was way back then.
You seem like a pretty aggressive person and not sure what your agenda is here other than to drive people from this forum. But we all get our kicks from different things.

1DXII was a18MP so no idea what you mean by that comment and DR is just fine on all modern Canin Cameras for my needs.

]
There is a high resolution R series coming. Some say as many as 80+ megapixels. But then you also mention speed, and an 80+ megapixel camera will probably not be a speed demon... which is why the constant asking of you to explain exactly what it is you are looking for and that you refuse to articulate.

I hear the rumours (why I’m on this website) and the “we know its coming” talk from people like you telling us all without question that said camera is around the corner. I see all the nice new lenses I want to buy. What I don’t see is any suggestion that this camera exists in testing, planning, development or the imagination of Canon engineers.

I know what happened to the 1Ds line so no matter how you sugar coat it or demean my comments, nothing is just around the corner and hence my rather innocent comment about canon being so slow.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
I wonder if Canon introduces an EOS R firmware update with an option for rectilinear JPEG correction of fisheyes.
Fisheye Hemi is a very powerful fisheye correction program that is way more flexible than a simple rectilinear correction. V2.0 has given it even more usefulness.

I have used it for years and found the results from a corrected EF 15mm fisheye to be much higher quality than from either of the two EF 14mm L's I tested.

Kieth over at Northlight Images has a couple of great writeups on its use.

V1: http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/fisheye-hemi-plugin-review/
V2: http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/imadio-fisheye-hemi-v2-review/

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
You seem like a pretty aggressive person and not sure what your agenda is here other than to drive people from this forum. But we all get our kicks from different things.

1DXII was a18MP so no idea what you mean by that comment and DR is just fine on all modern Canin Cameras for my needs.

]

I hear the rumours (why I’m on this website) and the “we know its coming” talk from people like you telling us all without question that said camera is around the corner. I see all the nice new lenses I want to buy. What I don’t see is any suggestion that this camera exists in testing, planning, development or the imagination of Canon engineers.

I know what happened to the 1Ds line so no matter how you sugar coat it or demean my comments, nothing is just around the corner and hence my rather innocent comment about canon being so slow.
If you feel demeaned by simple questions, that's your problem. Like I said before, I don't think you are going to get both high resolution and speed at the same time. The EOS-1Ds Mark III shot at 3 and 5 fps. So there was no "speed" in that camera. The Canon 5DSr is 50mp and shoots at 5fps in FF.

You can discount the rumors you are seeing on a rumor site all you like (from normally reliable sources). But if you are going to do that, then what is the point of being here anyway? Just to complain and then claim to be attacked when more information is asked for? Good luck.

Upvote 0
Sep 3, 2018
If you feel demeaned by simple questions, that's your problem.

Polite rosponces would have been perfect but mocking others with terms like “crying” and “childish” are very demeaning. Do you not read what you write before you post?

Like I said before, I don't think you are going to get both high resolution and speed at the same time. The EOS-1Ds Mark III shot at 3 and 5 fps. So there was no "speed" in that camera. The Canon 5DSr is 50mp and shoots at 5fps in FF.
The 1DsIII was both high resolution and fast in 2007???? Are you seriously comparing a camera from 2007 to make your point?????

Its ok if you don’t get it but anyone who used a 1Ds camera and was forced into a 5D series will get where I’m coming from. The EOS 1 is a beacon in Canon’s range and a truly remarcable camera that, over each generation I’ve owned was utterly amazing. I’d like that back again.........

What I don’t want is to have to re-purchase all my lenses again just to end up with another version of the 5D in mirrorless form.

You can discount the rumors you are seeing on a rumor site all you like (from normally reliable sources). But if you are going to do that, then what is the point of being here anyway? Just to complain and then claim to be attacked when more information is asked for? Good luck.

I’ve not read one rumour that claims to know anything concrete about said camera.- Patents and Chinese whisper a plenty is hardly basis for fact.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Sep 3, 2018
In the quote I provided.

Or is it my fault that you don't understand what you are saying?

I think it's highly unlikely. If you expect an R camera with sub-20Mp resolution, you will be disappointed.
I wrote it so i think I understand what I said.
Construct what you wish from my response but It doesn’t make you right.

Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
Resolution is my main objective in a camera and why I keep mentioning 1Ds cameras who's main objective in their day was speed, resolution and build quality.
The 1DsIII was both high resolution and fast in 2007???? Are you seriously comparing a camera from 2007 to make your point?????
EOS 5 was shooting 5 fps back in 1992. EOS 3 was shooting 7 fps (with PB-E2 booster) back in 1998. 1Ds III was a slow camera for its time. If you wanted a fast camera, you would have bought 1D III with its 10 fps.

1Ds III and 5D II had the same sensor resolution, so it was not leading in resolution either. 5D III had both better burst speed and a higher resolution sensor than 1Ds III. "Build quality"... do you really think that there were so many people for whom the build quality of 5D III was not enough for a studio camera that the development of 1Ds IV would pay off for Canon?

Besides, you don't need to repurchase all your lenses. Who gave you an idea that you do?

I wrote it so i think I understand what I said.
No, that doesn't follow.

"I wrote it so I though I understood what I said" would be correct.

Unless you are not able to critically evaluate your past actions, that is.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
EOS 5 was shooting 5 fps back in 1992. EOS 3 was shooting 7 fps (with PB-E2 booster) back in 1998. 1Ds III was a slow camera for its time. If you wanted a fast camera, you would have bought 1D III with its 10 fps.
That is cherry picking the numbers, the 1Ds MkIII was very fast for throughput at the time considering the resolution.

The contemporary 5D was 12.8mp, the 1Ds MkIII was a breakout for the time at 21mp. The 5D MkII with the same sensor but little else of value didn't arrive until over a year later. The 5D MkIII came close but the 1DX - 1D MkIV/1Ds MkIII replacement was with us by then.

Personally I would have bought a 1 series with a 5DSr sensor and slower fps and I don't think the development costs would have been very high to do that.

Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
That is cherry picking the numbers, the 1Ds MkIII was very fast for throughput at the time considering the resolution.

The contemporary 5D was 12.8mp, the 1Ds MkIII was a breakout for the time at 21mp. The 5D MkII with the same sensor but little else of value didn't arrive until over a year later.
5D MkII had only ~20% slower throughput (besides, it could record video)

The 5D MkIII came close but the 1DX - 1D MkIV/1Ds MkIII replacement was with us by then.
Market-wise, 5D MkIII was a 1Ds MkIII replacement. It did not just "come close", it had a higher resolution sensor with a higher frame rate, which of course meant higher throughput.

Personally I would have bought a 1 series with a 5DSr sensor and slower fps and I don't think the development costs would have been very high to do that.
Development, production, marketing, logistics, support etc. I don't think Canon makes big money on 1D series. I suspect that 5D series starting from MkII did "cannibalize" 1Ds series, making it unprofitable, and that's why Canon cancelled it.

Upvote 0
Taking the RF 28-70 F2.0 as the yard stick, another RF F2.0 would most likely aim at the same thing:
1. absolute technical minimum of hard to remove aberations (esp. Coma here)
2. light touch on easy to remove aberations, i.e. distortion, CA
3. 95% sharp wide open at both extremes at F2.0
4. on par with the best primes when stopped down to 2.8
5. compromise on weight and size

I will not be able to resist if they make it happen
I would be all over this lens, I got the 15-35 but it’s more of a video. This lens would be better for those lovely night sky, I bet it’ll be super sharp

Upvote 0
Sep 3, 2018

1Ds III and 5D II had the same sensor resolution, so it was not leading in resolution either. 5D III had both better burst speed and a higher resolution sensor than 1Ds III. "Build quality"... do you really think that there were so many people for whom the build quality of 5D III was not enough for a studio camera that the development of 1Ds IV would pay off for Canon?

Besides, you don't need to repurchase all your lenses. Who gave you an idea that you do?

No, that doesn't follow.

"I wrote it so I though I understood what I said" would be correct.

Unless you are not able to critically evaluate your past actions, that is.
This is just incorrect and like said above, cherry picking the specs to win your own private argument. You can think what you like but the fact is the EOS 1 studio series stopped at the 1DSIII. A 5D, no matter the resolution is not a direct replacement for a 1DS.

Finally, not sure how I can make this any clearer to you other than quoting my original post.

“The Canon lens devision seems to be firing on all cylinders and producing some truly drool worthy lenses.

The frustration for me is I’m ready to jump full speed into the R system and buy a swath of new lenses however, there is just not a camera I’m remotely interested in buying.”

Please can you explain how I can own any of the RF lenses as I alluded to in my very first message without buying a an EOS R(whatever) and starting again?

Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
This is just incorrect and like said above, cherry picking the specs to win your own private argument. You can think what you like but the fact is the EOS 1 studio series stopped at the 1DSIII. A 5D, no matter the resolution is not a direct replacement for a 1DS.
That's only one fact. Another fact is that Canon is not bounded by your wishes. If Canon doesn't see a good market opportunity, they won't produce a camera (or rush it to the market) just before you wish for it. If Canon doesn't see a market for a studio camera built like a war zone camera, given the alternative Canon offerings, they won't produce one.

Finally, not sure how I can make this any clearer to you other than quoting my original post.

“The Canon lens devision seems to be firing on all cylinders and producing some truly drool worthy lenses.

The frustration for me is I’m ready to jump full speed into the R system and buy a swath of new lenses however, there is just not a camera I’m remotely interested in buying.”

Please can you explain how I can own any of the RF lenses as I alluded to in my very first message without buying a an EOS R(whatever) and starting again?
You are not fully quoting your original post. You forgot the following line:

"The 1DXIII proves Canon has still got the magic touch (amazing camera if you need it) but wish they weren't so tragically slow with the Pro R camera."

The fact is that so far Canon is no more "tragically slow" with a Pro R camera than they were in 1980s with a Pro EOS camera. It took Canon two and a half years to release EOS 1 after shipping the first EF lenses.

And you don't need to "start again" with buying an EOS R(whatever). All your EF lenses will work no worse on RF bodies than they did before (some will work even better, because of no need in AFMA). All your Speedlites will work too.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
I would be all over this lens, I got the 15-35 but it’s more of a video. This lens would be better for those lovely night sky, I bet it’ll be super sharp

First, let me say THANK YOU! for posting something on topic.

Now, please share more about why you think the 15-35 is "more of a video" lens.

And does this mean you think the 14-28 f/2 would be better for stills? Should we expect any less vignetting, and even less distortion?

Upvote 0
Sep 3, 2018
That's only one fact. Another fact is that Canon is not bounded by your wishes. If Canon doesn't see a good market opportunity, they won't produce a camera (or rush it to the market) just before you wish for it. If Canon doesn't see a market for a studio camera built like a war zone camera, given the alternative Canon offerings, they won't produce one.

You are not fully quoting your original post. You forgot the following line:

"The 1DXIII proves Canon has still got the magic touch (amazing camera if you need it) but wish they weren't so tragically slow with the Pro R camera."

The fact is that so far Canon is no more "tragically slow" with a Pro R camera than they were in 1980s with a Pro EOS camera. It took Canon two and a half years to release EOS 1 after shipping the first EF lenses.

And you don't need to "start again" with buying an EOS R(whatever). All your EF lenses will work no worse on RF bodies than they did before (some will work even better, because of no need in AFMA). All your Speedlites will work too.
Skew what I said all you like it still doesn’t detract from my original rather innocent comment that I had to remind you of above.

Adapting my existing lenses was never part of the equation however, buying the new RF glass is. Re-read it a couple of times just so it sinks in.

The fact it took two years to release a pro EF lens mount camera in 1989 when AF was in its infancy and was extremely untrusted at the time has no baring and me expressing my frustrations.

I just don’t understand why you have such a problem with my comment and why some here are expelling so much time and effort in poopooing everything I say?

I’m a happy Canon user, love their cameras and especially love their lenses. Can I not also feel frustrated that I’m not able to buy any RF glass even though happy R users and especially because youtube say its the real deal.

Upvote 0
f/2 for a 14 mm is really unnecessary for my purposes, I'd use it stopped down anyway. And 10 mm at whatever f/ is unessesary. I personally would be really happy with a 14--24 f/4. But if I have to live with more kick-ass-ness than required, I'll take a 10 mm f/4. No need to wrap it up--I'll eat it here.

Upvote 0