Patent: Canon is working on shrinking the size of mirrorless cameras

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
This only means that there will come consumer lenses too which are small and suitable (with not super interesting apertures) for consumers which are easy and cheaper too make for Canon. That is where the profits are for Canon, at the mass consumer side.
Pancake f/2.8 lenses would be great on something like this. That's a very acceptable speed and price. I used to have Canon's 40mm pancake and it was great. I could see how a cheap set of pancake/ near pancake primes would be really nice for something like this. 17, 24, 28, 35, 50mm... just like the good old days when zooms just were not that good or desirable.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Sep 26, 2018
Pancake f/2.8 lenses would be great on something like this. That's a very acceptable speed and price. I used to have Canon's 40mm pancake and it was great. I could see how a cheap set of pancake/ near pancake primes would be really nice for something like this. 17, 24, 28, 35, 50mm... just like the good old days when zooms just were not that good or desirable.

I'm curious to see how big "pancake" lenses will have to be with the decreased flange distance... I guess 40mm from the sensor is still not that far, it will be interesting to see if they can design lenses that are close to 20mm thick (20mm lens + 20mm flange = 40mm, though I realize this is a gross simplification and multiple elements may increase the depth of the lens)

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
I would like a small camera with choices of small lenses. (y)
That's what Canon built the M line for. The M5/6/6 II with the EOS-M 22mm is a dream camera with stunning IQ for the size, nothing I have seen comes close to it. The EOS-M 32mm f1.4 is apparently an amazingly good lens too. Much smaller and I wouldn't be able to use it effectively.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

https://brettguyphotography.picfair.com/
Dec 6, 2016
brettguyphotography.picfair.com
Kind of seems pointless. The Rp is already very small. Why go smaller? Sony began their FF mirrorless journey with the 'Smaller and lighter' concept being uppermost in their design parameters. Now they are heading the other way(although will forever be stuck with that stupid lens mount because they erroneously though small was the future)

Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
The complaints whenever Canon are pushing ahead with technology are weird to me. More Megapixel, more FPS, more dynamic range, faster lenses, sharper lenses, better card slots... Somebody complained about each of them.

With something like this, it just gives them more flexibility in the design. Just because a component doesn't take up the space it used to internally, it doesn't necessarily mean that the outside will get smaller. It could just be about using that space for something else. And even if it gets smaller, the grip doesn't have to suffer. On the M6 II Canon increased the size of the grip. They know their ergonomics.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
May 11, 2017
if Canon want to repeat their digital Rebel feat and overtake Sony FF MILC market share, they'll need to reduce the weight, size and price of their EOS-R cameras and lenses.
I wonder whether Canon will make a normal zoom that is significantly smaller, lighter and cheaper than the RF 24-105. Canon seems to think that the 24-105 is a key zoom for selling RF cameras. It covers 24, 28, 35, 50, 85 and 105 and weighs (and costs) about as much as a couple of primes in those focal lengths. I don't think Canon is going to overtake anybody by coming out with small, light and cheap primes, although that would make some people very happy.

Upvote 0

Architect1776

Defining the poetics of space through Architecture
Aug 18, 2017
Williamsport, PA
grip doesnt need to be small even camera is small and light . and always can make grip modules like sigma.
and they can prolly design somekind of turn to side grip when camera putted to pocket

If I get a grip I would most likely leave it on. Thus why not make the camera comfortable to begin with. As to a pocket? I do not put cameras in a pocket except for the phone in a shirt pocket and if my ILC is that small then it is too uncomfortable to use. Just my opinion on size, other will differ but that is fine. :)

Upvote 0
Dec 31, 2018
If I get a grip I would most likely leave it on. Thus why not make the camera comfortable to begin with. As to a pocket? I do not put cameras in a pocket except for the phone in a shirt pocket and if my ILC is that small then it is too uncomfortable to use. Just my opinion on size, other will differ but that is fine. :)
I dont need pocket camera either . just intrested about theory how thin it can be made and still fully usable like what ever bigger full frame. :)
I wish RP grip would be bigger what it is but ill survive with it. Must be perfect for most asian people i believe.
I doubt they make too small grips ,they just count right size from average hand sizes of peoples they plan sell it,and unfortunately they just design one size.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

hmatthes

EOS-R, RF and EF Lenses of all types.
I would welcome a smaller R body. I mainly shoot old Leica M (Rangefinder) lenses on my R and absolutely love the results.
The image quality is beyond expectations and the ability to zoom in for fine-focus is uncanny.
This combination is better than trying to use a rangefinder; the R is smaller than the Leica SL (non-rangefinder) and the costs are manageable.
24 meg is a large enough sensor so perhaps I'll get a Canon RP for my backup. Then use the R when using Canon lenses (huge in comparison).
Here is the R with 50 f/2 Summicron mounted, 35/f/3.5 Summaron (silver), 90 f/2.8 Tele-Elmarit (black) and 135 f/4.5 Hektor (silver). I carry the camera around my neck with the other three lenses in my jacket pockets. No bag to haul around!

Attachments

• IMG_3310.jpeg
    IMG_3310.jpeg
    27.6 KB · Views: 258
Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
I'm curious to see how big "pancake" lenses will have to be with the decreased flange distance... I guess 40mm from the sensor is still not that far, it will be interesting to see if they can design lenses that are close to 20mm thick (20mm lens + 20mm flange = 40mm, though I realize this is a gross simplification and multiple elements may increase the depth of the lens)
This camera may end up being a FF point and shoot.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
I would welcome a smaller R body. I mainly shoot old Leica M (Rangefinder) lenses on my R and absolutely love the results.
The image quality is beyond expectations and the ability to zoom in for fine-focus is uncanny.
This combination is better than trying to use a rangefinder; the R is smaller than the Leica SL (non-rangefinder) and the costs are manageable.
24 meg is a large enough sensor so perhaps I'll get a Canon RP for my backup. Then use the R when using Canon lenses (huge in comparison).
Here is the R with 50 f/2 Summicron mounted, 35/f/3.5 Summaron (silver), 90 f/2.8 Tele-Elmarit (black) and 135 f/4.5 Hektor (silver). I carry the camera around my neck with the other three lenses in my jacket pockets. No bag to haul around!
One of the reasons I went with the R is to use my collection of old M42 mount lenses. Love the results.

Upvote 0
Bah. I remember the time right before smart phones, when the trend was towards tinier and tinier phones. But they got too small to use comfortably. Remember Derek Zoolander’s absurdly tiny phone? Then things swung back into bigger phones for the bigger and bigger working screens. Cameras are the same. Unless you need it to go in your pocket, leave it big enough to hold and to have plenty of buttons.

Upvote 0