Canon Patent Application: Mirrorless camera with a Tilting EVF

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
In this patent application (Japan 2023-178037) Canon is describing a tilting EVF for a mirrorless camera. I had the EVF-DC1 for the EOS-M system and loved the tilt function of the EVF. It gave a different perspective and shooting angle and was a useful feature. In this patent application, Canon is describing the connection ribbon

See full article...

The arguments against a flippy screen for the 5D/1D in years past seems to have finally gone with the advent of mirrorless bodies even it they are smaller. You certainly don't need a screen protector if you can turn it in.
Will it be the same situation with combined tilt/flippy screens that they will eventually be in all bodies? Tilt is great for street and portraiture but useless for astro (portrait orientation and angled up).

Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
I'm all for tilting EVFs, it something I didn't know I wanted until I had it.
I never use the rear LCD for shooting, but a tilting EVF would be a dream come true. I already use one whith longer focals on my Leica M240, and like it, despite its crappy "quality". No doubt the Canon implementation will be far better.

Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I hope, Canon will make the leap from their growing no. of patents to a real implementation soon. Would be really great to have a tilting EVF, in particular in bright settings.
Canon has for the last 20-30 years been one of the top patent companies on the planet. they have a wide variety of research - but until you research down to almost implementation you can't really tell if something is cost effective or resonates with consumers the way you want.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Very similar to:
Yes - I mentioned this patent (and linked the article).

it's the mechanical assembly in that patent - this patent app is dealing with the reliability of the flex ribbon cable.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

rbr

Sep 11, 2010
I would love to see this on any future camera I buy. Probably the most frustrating aspect of using mirrorless cameras to me is the fact that I can't use my angle finder with them. I would probably just prefer being able to use the Canon angle finder C on my R5. It works of every Canon EOS SLR - film and digital. Can't they just make an ordinary angle finder that swivels like the angle finder C that would work on the R cameras? I HATE using the rear screen when getting low. I can't see it without reading glasses and there is always glare from the sun.

Upvote 0

justaCanonuser

Grab your camera, go out and shoot!
Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
Canon has for the last 20-30 years been one of the top patent companies on the planet. they have a wide variety of research - but until you research down to almost implementation you can't really tell if something is cost effective or resonates with consumers the way you want.
A built-in tilting EVF shouldn't be such a big leap for Canon, I think,. And I am sure that many users at least of more expensive cameras would like it, because it really amends the usability of a camera in bright environments. But, sure, Canon has to check the market, every cent more on the cost side of the production counts.

Upvote 0