Canon Patent Application: High Precision AF for Tilt / Shift Lenses

Keith did not seem very enthusiastic about AF.
Well, for his line of work with ultrawides, depth of field is king. So an AF system on say a 11mm lens is purely academic @f16. Even more so using the schlemflug principle. So I’m not surprised if this feature holds zero value to him. The only time it could be useful is when you are deliberately abusing the system to create the infamous miniature looking effect, or using a Depth of field preview (as discussed earlier), which would be useful for macro or food work.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
As a follow up to my previous statement, the current users of TS-e lenes are a very specific group of users who uderstand and value the use of a tripod to get very precise and specific results. This announcement / rumour centres around a lot of technology to try and allow the user to effectively go "tripod free". The guys who have a specific application will always use a tripod regardless due to the nature of the images that they are trying to obtain and the client's requirement. This type of phtotgraphy requires critical and careful composition and very few shots. Measure twice and cut once type of methodology. Which is very different to the nuvo riche millenial "become and expert via a 15 mins youtube tutorial" guys who will try and hand hold these lenses, not fully under stand the functions or controls and rattle off several hundred and then select the few images that actually worked later in post.

So regardelss of Canon courting the latter user types (in the hope of selling a bunch of these lenses to a bunch of rich and curious doctors), the guys who have a serious and professional interest in optically correcting their verticles or maximising their depth of field via the scheimpflug principle will not benefit much from the massive amount of computational and engineering effort that is going into these very specific lenses.

• Sad
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
As a follow up to my previous statement, the current users of TS-e lenes are a very specific group of users who uderstand and value the use of a tripod to get very precise and specific results. This announcement / rumour centres around a lot of technology to try and allow the user to effectively go "tripod free". The guys who have a specific application will always use a tripod regardless due to the nature of the images that they are trying to obtain and the client's requirement. This type of phtotgraphy requires critical and careful composition and very few shots. Measure twice and cut once type of methodology. Which is very different to the nuvo riche millenial "become and expert via a 15 mins youtube tutorial" guys who will try and hand hold these lenses, not fully under stand the functions or controls and rattle off several hundred and then select the few images that actually worked later in post.

So regardelss of Canon courting the latter user types (in the hope of selling a bunch of these lenses to a bunch of rich and curious doctors), the guys who have a serious and professional interest in optically correcting their verticles or maximising their depth of field via the scheimpflug principle will not benefit much from the massive amount of computational and engineering effort that is going into these very specific lenses.
Sorry to contradict you, but I'm neither rich nor a doctor, nor a nouveau riche.;) I fing your categorizing a bit simplistic, to remain polite.
But, when visiting cities, I NEVER use a tripod, but take all my pictures of houses, churches etc.. handheld with the 24 TSE.
Same in the mountains. I simply dislike converging lines.
Most perspective errors I correct in Lightroom.
Of course, if I were a professional paid for perfect architecture shots, I'd use a tripod.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0