Canon Patent Application: High Precision AF for Tilt / Shift Lenses

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
In this Canon Patent Application (2023-153460) Canon discusses both the need and the method of changing focusing during shift or tilt operations. As with the other patent applications in this series, I should first mention that the tilting and shifting discussed seem to be internal and done by moving optical elements. That question has been

See full article...

Reactions: 2 users
Back in the day, I'm talking 1st gen AF file cameras...the dawn of the EOS system.
The EOS 650 had a feature where you could focus one one item (using the single point AF system..those where the days), then focus on a 2nd item in the view finder and then the camera would work out what aperture you needed to get both in focus. Something along these lines combined to the motorised tilt and shift would be an amazing tool to leverage the Scheimpflug principle in an easy workflow.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

john1970

EOS R3
CR Pro
Dec 27, 2015
Northeastern US
Back in the day, I'm talking 1st gen AF file cameras...the dawn of the EOS system.
The EOS 650 had a feature where you could focus one one item (using the single point AF system..those where the days), then focus on a 2nd item in the view finder and then the camera would work out what aperture you needed to get both in focus. Something along these lines combined to the motorised tilt and shift would be an amazing tool to leverage the Scheimpflug principle in an easy workflow.
That is an interesting historical perspective. Thank you for sharing.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Interesting, I had no idea that had existed. I never really ever used a DOF Preview button either.
My first DSLR was a Rebel T1i/500D that I bought in 2009, and it had A-DEP:
Screenshot 2023-10-18 at 9.47.09 AM.png

I rarely used the DoF preview button, but I have my R3 EVF set DoF + Exposure simulation and I really like the I can see the DoF as I change the aperture.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
Guess you mean the "deapth" setting. I wonder why it's no longer offered. And you're right, the "Tilt" feature could certainly benefit from a similar system, especially when motorized.

Upvote 0

P-visie

EOS 5 - R5
CR Pro
Sep 14, 2020
Netherlands
www.p-visie.nl
Guess you mean the "deapth" setting. I wonder why it's no longer offered. And you're right, the "Tilt" feature could certainly benefit from a similar system, especially when motorized.
A feature like A-DEP would also be useful for focus stacking, mark the starting point, mark the endpoint, and let the camera determine the number of exposures, based on the stepsize and/or aperture. The Helicon focus app works this way (but is very slow).

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
A feature like A-DEP would also be useful for focus stacking, mark the starting point, mark the endpoint, and let the camera determine the number of exposures, based on the stepsize and/or aperture. The Helicon focus app works this way (but is very slow).
Magic lantern has that as a module, I used it a lot on my original EOS M.

But a face-detect version of A-DEP would be even better: have the camera pick the aperture where every face is in acceptable focus.

Upvote 0

Hector1970

CR Pro
Mar 22, 2012
I think I will be really interested in a 14mm RF TS-E. Autofocus never really bothered me with tilt shift . It made me a better photographer. Each image is deliberate and precise and carefully thought out. It’s always on a tripod with a countdown timer. Autofocus is great but can make a photographer lazy.

Upvote 0
I think I will be really interested in a 14mm RF TS-E. Autofocus never really bothered me with tilt shift . It made me a better photographer. Each image is deliberate and precise and carefully thought out. It’s always on a tripod with a countdown timer. Autofocus is great but can make a photographer lazy.
yes, just like digital photography makes you take photos more opportunistic as opposed to deliberate film photography ;)

but jokes aside - i think Canon is looking for things that your smartphone can never do at this point.
hence theyre trying to make exotic lenses accessible through simple features to a wider audience.

RF10-20 is an exotic lens, but now light - likely VERY fun and with IS.

RF15-30 / RF-S 10-18 (i guess) and RF 100-400, RF600 F11 for a very entry level price... all with great IS

I think they're not banking on quality bokeh and thin DoF to help them sell vs. smartphones - esp. since many prosumers typically are afraid of prime lenses - and every channel always speaks about holy trinty anyway. hence they're neglecting them.

I see the TS R AF lens in the same vane as the RF10-20... appeal to a larger audience:
1. they want to break out of indoor/outdoor architecture - which i guess @Hector falls into
2. maybe even make it a unique travel lens for city and dramatic landscape
3. get it in the hands of some wedding photographers who always buy something if it gives them an edge (some of tried and failed with the minature effect)
4. video!!! photography doesnt pay... so professionals are often primarily video shooters and for that AF is insanely helpful

Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
yes, just like digital photography makes you take photos more opportunistic as opposed to deliberate film photography ;)

but jokes aside - i think Canon is looking for things that your smartphone can never do at this point.
hence theyre trying to make exotic lenses accessible through simple features to a wider audience.

RF10-20 is an exotic lens, but now light - likely VERY fun and with IS.

RF15-30 / RF-S 10-18 (i guess) and RF 100-400, RF600 F11 for a very entry level price... all with great IS

I think they're not banking on quality bokeh and thin DoF to help them sell vs. smartphones - esp. since many prosumers typically are afraid of prime lenses - and every channel always speaks about holy trinty anyway. hence they're neglecting them.

I see the TS R AF lens in the same vane as the RF10-20... appeal to a larger audience:
1. they want to break out of indoor/outdoor architecture - which i guess @Hector falls into
2. maybe even make it a unique travel lens for city and dramatic landscape
3. get it in the hands of some wedding photographers who always buy something if it gives them an edge (some of tried and failed with the minature effect)
4. video!!! photography doesnt pay... so professionals are often primarily video shooters and for that AF is insanely helpful
That's also how I perceive the future 14 TS lens: as a universal WA lens, not only for architecture. There are even in landscape photography many situations which could benefit from shifting or tilting. Raising a camera to take a picture of a steep mountain distorts it (not the camera, of course :rolleyes:), therefore, I often use the TSE 24 for such pictures. Or trees in a forest, converging lines are not always nice to look at. Tripod use? I never use one. And that's where I see a huge advantage in those Canon patents, especially when tilting... Of course, a professional use is a different case, tripods are basic equipment there.
And they still say Canon are not innovating...
Yes, I know, it's presently only a patent, but I'm confident!

Upvote 0
Aug 10, 2021
That's also how I perceive the future 14 TS lens: as a universal WA lens, not only for architecture. There are even in landscape photography many situations which could benefit from shifting or tilting. Raising a camera to take a picture of a steep mountain distorts it (not the camera, of course :rolleyes:), therefore, I often use the TSE 24 for such pictures. Or trees in a forest, converging lines are not always nice to look at. Tripod use? I never use one. And that's where I see a huge advantage in those Canon patents, especially when tilting... Of course, a professional use is a different case, tripods are basic equipment there.
And they still say Canon are not innovating...
Yes, I know, it's presently only a patent, but I'm confident!
Changing the focus plane can be great with landscapes.

Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
Keith did not seem very enthusiastic about AF.
Logical!
As a professional, he certainly takes his time to get the perfect picture of a building, to keep demanding customers satisfied.
And precise focusing, of course, matters. So, I guess he pays extreme attention to get the right focus, and saving time thru AF becomes secundary. Anyway, if you're working on a tripod, you are usually not in a hurry.
Keith, am I right? :unsure:

Upvote 0
Aug 10, 2021
Logical!
As a professional, he certainly takes his time to get the perfect picture of a building, to keep demanding customers satisfied.
And precise focusing, of course, matters. So, I guess he pays extreme attention to get the right focus, and saving time thru AF becomes secundary. Anyway, if you're working on a tripod, you are usually not in a hurry.
Keith, am I right? :unsure:
There's something enjoyable for me about using manual focus and setting the camera's setting manually too. It doesn't always result in good photos, but I enjoy it more :p

• Love
Upvote 0