Canon Patent Application: Handheld tilt-shift

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
We recently discussed the patent here that talked about a motorized tilt-shift lens. It was my imagination that Canon could expand the functionality far beyond simply lens control. Well, it turns out the smart minds at Canon thought the same. This patent application allows the user to select areas in which they want in focus,

See full article...

• Wow
Reactions: 4 users

roby17269

R5, H5X + IQ1-80, DJI Mini & Mavic 3 Pro, GoPro 10
Feb 26, 2014
New York
rdmfashionphoto.com
Me too, but I'm afraid the price will be quite discouraging...
We will see I guess?
I am worried about:
  • weight
  • robustness / reliability
  • cost
  • and, most importantly, that it may cause delays to my preciousss (RF 35mm f/1.2L) :ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
We will see I guess?
I am worried about:
  • weight
  • robustness / reliability
  • cost
  • and, most importantly, that it may cause delays to my preciousss (RF 35mm f/1.2L) :ROFLMAO:
Same worries here, except about the 35mm f1,2.
It certainly will come long before such a complex TS patent turns into an optical reality. So, prepare your cash, and that preciousss will "soon" be yours.
Just a few more years...:devilish:

Upvote 0

roby17269

R5, H5X + IQ1-80, DJI Mini & Mavic 3 Pro, GoPro 10
Feb 26, 2014
New York
rdmfashionphoto.com
Same worries here, except about the 35mm f1,2.
It certainly will come long before such a complex TS patent turns into an optical reality. So, prepare your cash, and that preciousss will "soon" be yours.
Keeping my fingers crossed, but getting antsier and antsier by the minute :LOL:
Just a few more years...:devilish:
Noooooo! o_O

• Haha
Upvote 0
So this allows AF with TS???

by tilting the plane of focus you change what is in focus. i would have to assume what we consider AF would need to be part of this because that is necessary to move the focal plane up and down even with the right tilt amount

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
by tilting the plane of focus you change what is in focus. i would have to assume what we consider AF would need to be part of this because that is necessary to move the focal plane up and down even with the right tilt amount
IMHO Canon should embrace computational photography and use higher power CPUs to work out things like AF plane in 3D, but I'm not software engineer, so I don't know how difficult that would be.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
IMHO Canon should embrace computational photography and use higher power CPUs to work out things like AF plane in 3D, but I'm not software engineer, so I don't know how difficult that would be.
It’s not that complex or computationally expensive, I did that in google sheets when I briefly owned the TS-E 90mm :)

I do agree that Canon should lean into the computation thing a bit more, in a workflow friendly way. With DPAF we get a depth-map for free, but Canon doesn’t give up that, only a handful of DPP4 exclusive tricks like face relighting.

Upvote 0