Canon Third Quarter 2019 Financials

Canon released their financials and the news is grim if you look at what has transpired for Canon since they announced the RF mount.
From the numbers Canon is down 22% in sales for the 2019 year on year compared to 2018, and this quarter alone, down 16%.
Canon always posts their financials first, but others will soon follow.   From what we saw last quarter, everyone had bad quarters.  I doubt we’ll see much different this quarter after everyone else shows their financials.

The market is hurting, and still is.  It’s to be expected though. When 75% of the entire market decides to up and change their mounts within a few weeks of each other things are going to go bad.  Combine that with the fact that the old mounts had cameras that were excellent making it even harder to switch users, because they are basically using what they have and don’t have a compelling reason to upgrade.  It would be curious to look back at Canon’s financials when they switched from the FD to the EF mount, but...

Continue reading...

On top of these measures, we will work to encourage potential customers to purchase our products with a focus on digital marketing, through such activities as partnering with professional photographers using social media
Canonrumors forum members will now sit down next to their phone and eagerly wait for that Canon call!

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Sep 3, 2018
So Canon are in limbo until they pad out the R series with more camera bodies as it sure feels its not for a lack of excellent lenses that established uses don’t feel the need to switch to mirrorless.

March 2020 seems to be the word in the forums when we all rush to buy but I’m not convinced following the recent rumours that Canon are still considering things to add to its pro mirrorless line.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
I'm also waiting on news of a higher level R and will be torn between that and the 1DX3 - unless the new R doesn't have reasonable FPS in which case I won't take it. The R, now my daughter's, was not enough for me, but if nothing else existed I'd be happy with it.

Or maybe I'll smarten up and realize I don't need more than I already have!

Jack

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
Me too! Even though I'm getting an M6 Mark II and will upgrade that to an M5 Mark II.. I still want that hi res EOS R camera, which I'm sure will be more "pro" than the EOS R.

I'm of the belief that 2020 is going to be a huge and quite fun year.
Side note since you mentioned it...you mention the M5 Mk2. I have been holding out with hope that it's still on it's way and will be patient waiting for it. Most folks think it shares the 7D3's fate but you think otherwise? I would love to hear why. :)

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Side note since you mentioned it...you mention the M5 Mk2. I have been holding out with hope that it's still on it's way and will be patient waiting for it. Most folks think it shares the 7D3's fate but you think otherwise? I would love to hear why. :)

because if the M6 Mark II was supposed to replace the M5 and M6, I'm sure they would have called it something different than an M6 Mark II.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

ethanz

1DX II
CR Pro
Apr 12, 2016
ethanzentz.com
Seems like we may be experiencing a "top" in camera development which is why we see so much really great gear being released. All of these companies need to establish themselves as core players because everybody wants to survive this correction and the hard truth is that some of them probably won't.

As Craig said in his podcast with LR, Nikon may not make it.

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
because if the M6 Mark II was supposed to replace the M5 and M6, I'm sure they would have called it something different than an M6 Mark II.
My take was that all sites, such as DPR and the like were taking Canon quotes out of context. So no one said it was coming but people only inferred it wasn't. Very different than Canon's stance on the 7D line. I figure it's a delay.

Upvote 0
Me too! Even though I'm getting an M6 Mark II and will upgrade that to an M5 Mark II.. I still want that hi res EOS R camera, which I'm sure will be more "pro" than the EOS R.

I'm of the belief that 2020 is going to be a huge and quite fun year.

I really hope they reconsider and release an M5ii. Really love my M5 and personally can't do without a viewfinder. One of the best grips in it's segment too this and the M6 bodies. Wish my X-T2 had a similar grip for times when I can do without my X-H1.

Upvote 0
Jan 21, 2015
So Canon are in limbo until they pad out the R series with more camera bodies as it sure feels its not for a lack of excellent lenses that established uses don’t feel the need to switch to mirrorless.

March 2020 seems to be the word in the forums when we all rush to buy but I’m not convinced following the recent rumours that Canon are still considering things to add to its pro mirrorless line.
If Canon say they are "considering" that means it will happen.

Upvote 0