Your favourite motorsports events

Roo

CR Pro
Sep 12, 2013
Melbourne
Phillip Island Classic historics meet last month.

Holden Torana A9X - in the 2 full years it competed in the touring car championship it won 14 of 16 rounds while it also won 2 from 3 Bathurst 1000s and 3 of 3 Sandown 500 starts.
Island Classic (139 of 702).jpg

Group C BMW 635CSI touring car was a weapon in the hands of Jim Richards. An iconic livery too
Island Classic (147 of 702).jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Roo.
Great shots, captured those beautiful historic liveries perfectly.

Cheers, Graham.

Phillip Island Classic historics meet last month.

Holden Torana A9X - in the 2 full years it competed in the touring car championship it won 14 of 16 rounds while it also won 2 from 3 Bathurst 1000s and 3 of 3 Sandown 500 starts.

Group C BMW 635CSI touring car was a weapon in the hands of Jim Richards. An iconic livery too

Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2012
Canada
Great shots, Roo.
a025.gif

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Roo.
Nope, not even after reading a book on the Porsche! Mind you, even after reading the book I can’t get past overgrown Beetle or like building a conventional clock with the pendulum sticking upwards, just wrong! :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Cheers, Graham.

Thanks very much Graham!

Porsche 956 and 962...can anyone tell the difference??

• Haha
Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Roo.
Another lovely series, I hate to see the classic racers damaged, hopefully they have the moulds for the skin and the chassis was unharmed!
I guess it proves they really are racing, also, didn’t the drivers sit a long way forwards in some of the older cars, feet over the font suspension!

Cheers, Graham.

F1 - Lola THL1

IndyCar - March 86C

Formula Mondial - A slightly damaged Ralt RT4

F1 - Ferrari 156/85

F5000 - Chevron B24

Upvote 0

Roo

CR Pro
Sep 12, 2013
Melbourne
Hi Roo.
Another lovely series, I hate to see the classic racers damaged, hopefully they have the moulds for the skin and the chassis was unharmed!
I guess it proves they really are racing, also, didn’t the drivers sit a long way forwards in some of the older cars, feet over the font suspension!

Cheers, Graham.

Thanks Graham and Click!

Some are pretty serious about their racing. I didn't realise it at the time but the Lola's diffuser had copped a hit earlier in the race requiring some time in repairs after hours. The driver thought he'd got a puncture in the hit but could see the tyre wasn't deflating.

They certainly did sit a long way forward. I was trying to think when the driver position got so far forwards. It was definitely more noticeable from the early to mid 80s and I thought it may have been due to the introduction of ground effects/diffusers. However, in the early 70s, fuel tanks were placed at various points around the car - in the Lotus 72C, 5 tanks surrounded the driving position :eek:. From the mid 70s, some constructors started putting it all in the bulkhead between the engine and driver, which moved the driver's position further forward - not sure exactly when that became compulsory reg but it did isolate the fuel away from very hot components and heavy impacts. The shifting of the driver's position back seems to have started with the introduction of the low line Brabham BT54 of 1986 and the change to the current driver's position started with the Tyrrell 019 of 1990 when it introduced the high nose.
Lola
Island Classic (519 of 702).jpg

Island Classic (691 of 702).jpg

Chevron B24 suspension repair
Island Classic (698 of 702).jpg

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Roo.
Another great set, reminded me immediately of the Goodwood Members Meet and Revival, and that we should have been looking at shots from this year about now! :( Bloody Corona virus,
At least we know that cancelling all these events and locking things down is the correct course of action. However difficult it may be right now, things have to get better.
Stay safe folks.

Cheers, Graham.

Upvote 0

Roo

CR Pro
Sep 12, 2013
Melbourne
Thanks again guys :)

It's funny, sometimes, unless I know the car history, I don't shoot it because maybe the livery isn't so interesting or the car itself is just mundane. In this case, I was walking through the pits at the end of the day and noticed one of the driver's names on the quarter panel. I sent a message to a guy I know from ice hockey because I knew he had done some racing (raced against Jean Alesi at an IMSA round late 80s) but he confirmed he had raced this car at the Bathurst 1000 and asked if I had some shots of it in action. I went though my shots for the day and, unusually, I had taken about 9 usable shots of it on track. Lesson for me was that I should take shots of any car on the track as it will mean something to somebody involved with that car's history. Andy McDowell (3 of 9).jpg

Island Classic (179 of 702).jpg

Island Classic (419 of 702).jpg

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0