EOS R related announcements coming for CP+ [CR2]

Jim Corbett

Man-eaters' Nightmare
Oct 11, 2019
I thought that made little practical difference for FF sensors? I've certainly seen technically-minded people say that...
If it weren't, Nikon wouldn't have used it in D850.
It has practical difference when the pixels are smaller. Improves the high ISO noise. The rumors are RmkII would be high-res. Ergo, I hope for BSI.
---

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

https://brettguyphotography.picfair.com/
Dec 6, 2016
brettguyphotography.picfair.com
The original R was rushed and not competitive with Sony. Looking forward to the new R being better than a Sony.

I disagree. While it did not match the sony in specs I held the EosR, Nikon Z6 and sony a7r3 when they were all available at my local shop. The Eos R was good in the hand, The Nikon was not too far behind and the Sony was no better than a doorstop. No amount of incredible specs could have ever made me use one. Admittedly it looks as though Sony are finally addressing that issue with the A7r4, but with the firmware upgrades that have come out for the EOS R and the lenses canon are pumping out the RF system still looks to be better. I would say without a doubt the as far as an ecosystem goes Canon will be better than Sony but I doubt they will ever beat them in the spec sheet war. So it all depends on what you consider important.

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0
there will always be someone who lives canon that thinks everything they make is best

but the broad reviews don’t lie
The R was not good at launch.
Canon’s impressive firmware update made it competitive but not a leader. The price drops gave it more value. But it’s not a mirrorless 5D Mark. That’s why the new R is needed. The old R was a rush to get something out there in mirrorless.

I disagree. While it did not match the sony in specs I held the EosR, Nikon Z6 and sony a7r3 when they were all available at my local shop. The Eos R was good in the hand, The Nikon was not too far behind and the Sony was no better than a doorstop. No amount of incredible specs could have ever made me use one. Admittedly it looks as though Sony are finally addressing that issue with the A7r4, but with the firmware upgrades that have come out for the EOS R and the lenses canon are pumping out the RF system still looks to be better. I would say without a doubt the as far as an ecosystem goes Canon will be better than Sony but I doubt they will ever beat them in the spec sheet war. So it all depends on what you consider important.

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

Dec 6, 2016
there will always be someone who lives canon that thinks everything they make is best

but the broad reviews don’t lie
The R was not good at launch.
Canon’s impressive firmware update made it competitive but not a leader. The price drops gave it more value. But it’s not a mirrorless 5D Mark. That’s why the new R is needed. The old R was a rush to get something out there in mirrorless.
Like I said. it is about what you consider important. The size of the spec sheet matters for some. Not for me. For me as a wildlife shooter who often has the camera in hand for 10-12 hours straight(on one battery I might add) the Sony have so far been the most unpleasant design I could imagine. You literally could not have paid me to use them. And yes, while the original R was not a finished product so to speak it is now and it has a lens lineup that already craps all over Sony for quality and due to Sonys poor descision at the start of their journey(the decision to use a small mount) will only continue to leave Sonys lenses in the dust.. I have no doubt that the next R will be much closer to what many of us would consider a 'professional' level camera as will the hi res R that will come out soon. And it is glaringly obvious if you look at releases like the 90d and m62 that Sony no longer has a massive lead in the tech specs and that canon have caught up enough in that area(and will continue to do so, most likely remaining just behind for the forseeable future), that the lenses will be the deciding factor into the future. I am definitely going to stick with the system that I know will be superior down the track due to the constraints of physics and optics.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

twoheadedboy

EOS R5
CR Pro
Jan 3, 2018
Sturtevant, WI
Like I said. it is about what you consider important. The size of the spec sheet matters for some. Not for me. For me as a wildlife shooter who often has the camera in hand for 10-12 hours straight(on one battery I might add) the Sony have so far been the most unpleasant design I could imagine. You literally could not have paid me to use them.

I have never shot Sony but I have seen this sentiment echoed "across the plains" from people who actually shoot in the field for art and commerce, not just test charts in a studio and pixel-peep because the tech is cool.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
I'm very happy with my R and I doubt I will go out chasing a new version for a couple of years.
I was handed an A7R2 a couple of years ago at an event I was shooting, and within an hour I wanted to chuck it in the bin. It hurt my hand and my fingers kept getting caught between the grip and the lens.
The R is a far better camera than the specs and many pros that have tried them reckon it's really good and many have switched.
It's not a camera for high speed sports, but for weddings, events and most other photographic and video, it's a great camera.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
I shoot wildlife and find it odd when anyone on the internet is bragging about the R for this purpose

it’s like drag racing with a corolla

Anons new lens system is promising but our conversation was about the R.
There’s a reason why a new one will be out shortly. The current R is a good cheap general camera. Nothing more unless a canon troll wants to make up something

Like I said. it is about what you consider important. The size of the spec sheet matters for some. Not for me. For me as a wildlife shooter who often has the camera in hand for 10-12 hours straight(on one battery I might add) the Sony have so far been the most unpleasant design I could imagine. You literally could not have paid me to use them. And yes, while the original R was not a finished product so to speak it is now and it has a lens lineup that already craps all over Sony for quality and due to Sonys poor descision at the start of their journey(the decision to use a small mount) will only continue to leave Sonys lenses in the dust.. I have no doubt that the next R will be much closer to what many of us would consider a 'professional' level camera as will the hi res R that will come out soon. And it is glaringly obvious if you look at releases like the 90d and m62 that Sony no longer has a massive lead in the tech specs and that canon have caught up enough in that area(and will continue to do so, most likely remaining just behind for the forseeable future), that the lenses will be the deciding factor into the future. I am definitely going to stick with the system that I know will be superior down the track due to the constraints of physics and optics.

Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

Dec 6, 2016
I shoot wildlife and find it odd when anyone on the internet is bragging about the R for this purpose

it’s like drag racing with a corolla

Anons new lens system is promising but our conversation was about the R.
There’s a reason why a new one will be out shortly. The current R is a good cheap general camera. Nothing more unless a canon troll wants to make up something
You misread my comment I think. I was most definitely not praising the R as a wildlife camera. At this point I would not use ANY mirrorless as a wildlife camera because the EVF's are just not on a par with an OVF for that purpose. I was more referring to the better ergonomics of the eosR.

Upvote 0

addola

Sold my soul for a flippy screen
Nov 16, 2015
At this point I would not use ANY mirrorless as a wildlife camera because the EVF's are just not on a par with an OVF for that purpose.
Not speaking from experience, but doesn't the Sonys (like A9II, I think) perform well for that purpose and even with Animal eye-detect AF?

Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

Dec 6, 2016
Not speaking from experience, but doesn't the Sonys (like A9II, I think) perform well for that purpose and even with Animal eye-detect AF?
I am not referring to AF capability. That is no longer an issue with mirrorless. I am referring to staring through an EVF for long periods while waiting for something to happen. If you don't actually shoot wildlife seriously then you would probably be quite shocked at just how much time one can have their eye glued to the viwfinder

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Oct 24, 2019
Logical deductions:
1. The EOS Rs will be released early, the R2 will be released much later, that year to not canibalise the novelty cycle
2. Canon will have 1 big bang lens ala 28-70mm F2 and 70-200mm F2.8, I'm also hoping for the 14-28mm F2 and if so, I will buy it
3. the other lens will be less niche, maybe a 24mm or 35mm F1.2L
4. most likely other lens, a 50mm non-L F1.8 will likely not be released with the Rs, just not the theme

my speculations:
- Canon exec's have consistently said the next R will have IBIS, the rumors aren't consistent yet about IBIS in the Rs, but IMHO, a high MP body is barely useful without IS, they must include it, even if their tech is 1 gen behind (e.g. 3-4 stops or making weird noises)
- the Rs will have HEIF... and that means there will be a 10bit, down-sampled 30-50MP format available. RAW and CRAW will have native resolution and APS-C crop. only HEIF and JPEG will come downsampled:
--> I am currently mainly a CRAW shooter, but I will migrate to HEIF as it combines the best attributes of CRAW and JPEG and makes the 75MP usable for everything (canon colors, 10bit dynamic range, small files, native phone support)

completely open questions:
- what about RF Tilt-shift lenses?
- Rs body, will it have a permanent battery grip? the L-bracket landscape shooters will mind, but how else will you balance the heavy ultra-pro RF lenses well? if not, will i thave a different battery grip (as the Rs will be thicker due to IBIS imho)

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
The new body does not concern me. I am wondering what the new lenses will be. Will they both be "L"? Maybe a fast 135mm prime (f/1.8 or f/1.8?) and fast 70- xxx zoom (f/2?)? I'm tapped out for cash for the next year or more, so no rush. Still, I would like to see either of those.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
my speculations:
- Canon exec's have consistently said the next R will have IBIS...
I have never seen a statement by Canon Executive about this on the next R. I might have missed it. I have seen plenty of speculation on this forum by members. I hope they are correct.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
The new body does not concern me. I am wondering what the new lenses will be. Will they both be "L"? Maybe a fast 135mm prime (f/1.8 or f/1.8?) and fast 70- xxx zoom (f/2?)? I'm tapped out for cash for the next year or more, so no rush. Still, I would like to see either of those.
Being out of $ can be a huge advantage, it forces you to wait, which often means benefitting from a future price decrease, cashback or any kind of promotion...once you're solvent again.
This is what I tell myself for consolation, since I'm presently broke.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0