Major Canon announcements in February and May of this year [CR2]

Jan 29, 2011
We need a competitor for the A9 series. Considering the A9/A9II specs, and being $2000 less than the 1DX, it is extremely tempting for wildlife and sports. I must admit I was tempted until I tested out some of Sony's G and GM lenses, and frankly they're awful.

A low-light RF would be interesting, but I feel there's a stronger need right now for one that is designed for sports and wildlife.
Well I think you will find that is Canon's point, they (and nobody else) can make a sports orientated camera system better than a DSLR yet so they aren't bothering.

Now I know sports pros who sold their 1DX II's for A9's and are happy, but the majority are not there yet. Personally I have yet to use an EVF I can look through for hours without feeling queasy due to the lag, but I'm sure that is probably just me and the fact that I have been looking through an OVF for the last 42 years.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Anyone want to speculate whether or not the new R bodies will use the BG-E22 grip, or a new grip model? I've gotten to the point of wanting a grip, but reluctant to order from the USA at $250 (order from USA because it's $600 in Canada), only to have it worth less than $100 when the R is replaced in the lineup later this year maybe.
Canon always (I believe) bring out a new grip for each body, it is a sure fire money maker for them so why would they change that?

Upvote 0

jazzytune

EOS 80D looking to buy EOS R soon...
Sep 6, 2019
Canon always (I believe) bring out a new grip for each body, it is a sure fire money maker for them so why would they change that?
Well, this is true for certain models. I think for the entry level crop sensor DSLRs, Canon maintain the same battery grip for t2i (550D) to t5i (700D). It really depends on how different the camera body is from the previous version I suppose...

Upvote 0
ef mount please
Seriously?
I've not seen anything from Canon to suggest anything other than they want people to buy RF lenses and if not, then an adapter per EF lens owned ;-)

They may not say it, but I'd be very surprised if anything new is coming in EF mount other than a few last-gasp updates for a few DSLR lines.

Sure, you -could- make an EF mount mirrorless, but why? It's a tad like me wanting a full frame digital version of my OM4 to go with my old Zuiko lenses... ;-)

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Seriously?
I've not seen anything from Canon to suggest anything other than they want people to buy RF lenses and if not, then an adapter per EF lens owned ;-)

They may not say it, but I'd be very surprised if anything new is coming in EF mount other than a few last-gasp updates for a few DSLR lines.

Sure, you -could- make an EF mount mirrorless, but why? It's a tad like me wanting a full frame digital version of my OM4 to go with my old Zuiko lenses... ;-)
Who would buy an adapter per EF lens owned? Don’t think this is Canon’s strategy at all when one will do.

Upvote 0
Aug 27, 2019
Who would buy an adapter per EF lens owned? Don’t think this is Canon’s strategy at all when one will do.
I have dedicated adapters for each EF lens I own and keep them attached at all times.

It all started with getting 1 with the EOS R Kit for "free" 1 with the RP Kit for 'free" and bought 3 more for dirt cheap off of craigslist.

That said I agree for most people 1 is more then enough.

My plan is to ditch them all together as RF Glass fills my needs. Biggest "need" right now is replacements for my 100-400's. The rumored 70-400 sounds like a winner.

Edit:

"People with more money than sense ;-)
There's no shortage of them in photography... ;-) ;-)"

Guess that is me.

Upvote 0
I have dedicated adapters for each EF lens I own and keep them attached at all times.

It all started with getting 1 with the EOS R Kit for "free" 1 with the RP Kit for 'free" and bought 3 more for dirt cheap off of craigslist.

That said I agree for most people 1 is more then enough.

My plan is to ditch them all together as RF Glass fills my needs. Biggest "need" right now is replacements for my 100-400's. The rumored 70-400 sounds like a winner.

Edit:

"People with more money than sense ;-)
There's no shortage of them in photography... ;-) ;-)"

Guess that is me.
Nope, buying them new at full price would be needed ;-)
I was thinking of getting the one with the control ring to use with manual adapted lenses to go with the 'freebie' with my RP and presumably one that will come with whatever replaces my 5Ds

Upvote 0
Oct 29, 2012
I hope you enjoy it. I was dubious about the R but having bought one I love it and the lenses are wonderful.

My advice would be to take a bit of time to set it up. The Touch Bar can be customised a great deal and I've come to enjoy using it. Most buttons can be remapped. Assuming you're coming from an SLR it might take a bit of time to get your mind dialled in to it but once set up I find it as easy to use and as intuitive as the 5D. Remember you can use the touchscreen as a replacement for the joystick and the control ring on the lens to replace the back main dial (or anything else).

If you find a good deal on it and you like grips I strongly recommend the battery grip - it really makes it a pleasure to use, especially if adapting any larger EF glass.

Oh and perhaps obvious but make sure you're on the latest firmware - Canon has really improved the camera enormously from the earlier firmware. I never thought I would have that to say about Canon! :)
I agree about the R. I am finding the 5d4 rarely used, except when it’s very wet. Even light drizzle the R stays out
I have been using it even on -25 days here in Alberta, with no issues at all. Even find that one battery goes way way longer than I thought, even in the cold. We are talking about 3-4 hours of use with no rewarding.

For landscape use, I’ll take it with the adjustable screen over the 5d any day. Except when it’s wet....

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Aug 27, 2019
I am trying to fill out all my "needs" while someone else is paying me to do work so when I decide to be a staving artist I can be a starving artist with good gear:)

I expect the 2 Majors announcements will not be met with excitement from my financial adviser (my Wife and Partner) she is starting to see through my "it will make me a better photographer for the BS it is"

I just like gear:)

• Haha
Upvote 0

JPAZ

If only I knew what I was doing.....
CR Pro
Sep 8, 2012
Southwest USA
Hmmmmmm.

I actually sold my EF-RF adapter that came with my RP /RF 24-105 purchase and used the $ towards the EF-RF Control Ring Adapter. Never occurred to me to keep it.

Upvote 0
Aug 27, 2019
I agree about the R. I am finding the 5d4 rarely used, except when it’s very wet. Even light drizzle the R stays out
I have been using it even on -25 days here in Alberta, with no issues at all. Even find that one battery goes way way longer than I thought, even in the cold. We are talking about 3-4 hours of use with no rewarding.

For landscape use, I’ll take it with the adjustable screen over the 5d any day. Except when it’s wet....
I use my R and RP in the west coast wet all the time. I have covers for the hotshoes and will use a shower cap if it gets really wet out and have not had any issues in a year of use.

Nice to know about the cold as we do not get that much here on the coast and I do not miss the -40 winters of growing up in Grande Prairie but I do miss the open and desolate landscapes that I ignored in my youth. Need to get back out on the prairies in the winter.

Upvote 0
I think everyone needs to realize that Canon and Sony both make excellent equipment for photography. I have used Canon 1Dx Mk2 with their 400 mm f2.8 III lenses as well as Sony A9 II with a vertical grip along with their 400 mm f2.8 lens. Both take excellent pictures and for me both balance well in the hand. Without a vertical grip the Sony alpha cameras are uncomfortable for me to use, but adding the vertical grip solves that issue at least for me. Personally, I like the fact that the a9II with vertical grip weighs 1+ lb less than 1Dx Mk2. At least for me as I get older any loss of mass is appreciated.

I shoot the A92 with grip as my prime body, along with the Sony 600mm f/4. They balance just fine, and the loss of weight from my former 1dx2 + 500mm f/4 II is welcome.

I think the best of both worlds would be the Canon ergonomics on a body the size of a gripped A92. That I can take the grip on and off is something I exploit quite a lot. When shooting with 2 bodies at once, I like to put one body on a Peak Design belt holster, which works well only with a non-gripped body. Short lens goes on that one, and long lens goes on the one carried by a strap..

There are two things I don't like about the A92:
1) The upgrade was only ergonomic, and essentially left the other weak points untouched
2) I think 24mp is a good bit lower than what I can use. When shooting studio/macro, etc., I get the right crop right in camera, but with sports/action/wildlife, I almost always am cropping afterward. I'd happily sacrifice a few frames per second for a boost in resolution.

This is why I am apparently the only guy I know disappointed by the new 1dx3, with only 20mp.

I have hopes that the new R high mp model might tempt me back to Canon. Give me 7 fps+, and I'm in.

Upvote 0
I am just scratching my head about what should be our strategy. We've got 5D IV, 24-70/2.8 II and 70-200/2.8 II IS. Soon we are adding 100/2.8 IS macro and in the future I would like to have a complete trinity, hence a 16-35/2.8 III or its RF equivalent. And here comes the trouble - recently, as our backup, there is a 70D, we need to replace it.

Hence we wanted to move to the new future R offering and move 5DIV to become a backup. But then we will have 2 partially incompatible systems. What I mean is - no RF lens for us, as it can't be used on the 5DIV. Should we just buy 16-35/2.8 III as being a good enough and use it on both bodies, or should we sell 5DIV and go full RF way? I mean - no high performance upcoming R body and R or RF as a backup? Then we could buy 15-35/2.8 IS RF instead ....

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Nope. I was quoting the price difference. The R is £2149. That’s £395 more expensive than the A7III at £1754. Also edited my comment to make this clearer.
A7III = 24 megapixels = less for less money. There are always trade offs. I happily take the slower frame rate, better skin tones, and more megapixels over what Sony offers for the price difference... not to mention menus, ergonomics, and glass.

You sure do mention Sony an awful lot in your posts. Hmmmm...

Last edited:
Upvote 0

telemaque

Before Sunset
CR Pro
Nov 30, 2019
The Sony A7 S rival model sounds pretty interesting. I've been hoping Canon would give us a video-centric camera for a while now. There's a lot of potential market share to be gained here among the filmmaker and content creator crowd. Canon has a leg up on there competitors when it comes to RF glass and the peerless dual pixel AF system their cameras use.

Things I would expect and like to see for such a camera are: unlimited record times, dual UHS-II card slots, headphone & mic jack, dual gain sensor, fully articulating touchscreen, uncropped full-frame recording with DPAF functionality, C-Log profiles, on par recording modes/options of the Panasonic S1H, and IBIS (of course).

ABSOLUTELY Josh, your description is also mine !

I would have added a good low light video behavior, but the low pixels and "A7 S line" target says exactelly it is going to be an excellent low light camera, so dual native ISO might be part of the technical solution followed... we will see.

My Canon L lenses are already shouting their excitment and also my Rokinon Cine Lenses 24, 50 and 85mm.

If this body is in line with your description, gosh this will be a relief and somehow a reward for those canonists like me who have been begging Canon to listen to non professional but serious expert videographers...

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
Nope. I was quoting the price difference. The R is £2149. That’s £395 more expensive than the A7III at £1754. Also edited my comment to make this clearer.
So I go back to look at my lack of reading comprehension and after all it wasn't me? I seriously can't go an entire day without a mistake.

• Haha
Upvote 0