Canon EOS R6 specifications [CR3]

If this camera costs less than the Canon EOS RP in the beginning it will be below the EOS RP no matter how good the specs are. An upcoming Canon EOS RP Mark II will have better specs than this, that's it.

Despite giving IBIS and 4k@60p Canon has some options to release this camera for less money than the RP:
Less buttons, just one dial, no viewfinder, cheaper material for the body, no grip, screen with less resolution than other cameras, buttons less customizable, less menu options, 4k crop, less ports, no dual pixel af in 4k...

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

IcyBergs

I have a Sony...TV
May 31, 2016
This really casts doubt to me on the fps specs we saw on the R5 rumor...maybe they got mixed up with this one.

Realistically I would have thought a R 5D4 successor would be at least 8fps, then I see the mp count is 45 and it would be logical to hope that maybe there's a chance you get 10fps, so hard to believe that it's 45mp @ 20fps!

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Upvote 0

PureClassA

Canon since age 5. The A1
CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
So were the R and RP just starter models with throwaway names?

Will the future be:
R1 (some face melting gripped sports volcano)​
R5S (high res)​
R5 (today's earlier rumor)​
R6 (this thread's rumor)​

And a relatively modest 20 MP sensor in a 20 fps (we presume not gripped) body as the entry price point spec on that list?

- A

It feels like THIS is the Sony Alpha 7s (video centric) competitor (perhaps) seemingly using the same sensor as the DX3 with the same video feature set.
IF the CR3 on the R5 is correct, then 4k120 could happen here too.

What Im seeing here could be what I’d hoped for, for years. Three Canon Cameras at the same
Price range to do different jobs.

R5 - MILC 5 Body. All around workhorse, wedding Pros, etc...

R6 - Video Focused MILC everyone in that realm has been dying for

Rs - High Resolution update to 5DSR
All priced between $3k -4k

Thats the part about the previous rumor that has me wondering. Could the specs in the R5 post be right but actually be referring to two differentcameras? Maybe maybe not. But it would seem oddball to have 4K120 in the all arounder and NOT in a lower MP video tailored camera.... unless of course this is NOT their video tailored camera....

oh isnt this fun?!?! Lol

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Okay, so can anyone explain to me how

R1 (presumed)​
R? (high res, could be R5S, could be R3 or R4)​
R5 (as spec'd in other thread)​
R
R6 (this thread)​
RP
R7 (okay, it might happen)​

Can logically coexist on a go-forward basis? I can't.

To me, it would make a ton of sense to put R and RP to the sword. Then Canon would be telegraphing that something resembling Canon's current FF SLR lineup will be the final state of the RF plaform:
  • Putting out R5 and R6 now implies that R1 is coming, R5S is coming, etc. so folks don't buy the wrong mirrorless while waiting for their specific one to arrive. It also reinforces hierarchy, which camera is pricier, more prestigious to own, etc.
  • Current SLR users will have a companion FF mirrorless option as (potentially) the last refresh of each SLR line occurs.
  • Feature set and controls can be similar (or have a similar 'design language')
It just makes sense to me. There may be an odd surprise or two, a video centric rig perhaps, but otherwise it will be a familiar lineup for the Canon fainthful to opt into.

- A

Upvote 0

PureClassA

Canon since age 5. The A1
CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
I still see R6 = lower prestige / cost to the R5.

R6/R5 feels very similar to Z6/Z7 for Nikon, but in reverse (in their non-gripped FF world, higher numbers are better cameras)

R6 = 6D3 to me. It may excel at video, but we don't have enough info to know if that's what this rig is for.

- A
Agreed not enough info yet but the 12fps bit .... something feels off. How could both the R5 and R6 share that key spec? And that absolutely would NOT put it at or below the RP. I’m wondering some specs are getting lost/crossed in rumor translation. Cant see how these two both would offer that without some radical other differences (more than just sensor size that is)

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
and IS
and not being FBW
and light
and mounting on my EF camera

Other than that, it's just what I want. :LOL:

- A

I will say that my hands are not steady. But the way that the Rf 50mm f/1.2L balances, and the shutter speeds we enjoy at f/2.2 and lower, together work to make IS something I don't miss. However, if video were a factor, then IS would be important.

Plus, I just took for granted when I bought in to the Rf mount that IBIS would be coming at some point, and that the primes would get even better because of it.

Upvote 0
Aug 9, 2016
Can't imagine anyone I know tolerating fewer pixels, knowing how these cameras are used, and that they do need to crop and print their images.

Do you even realize how big you can print 20mp? And Id honestly question in this day and age how many actually print, wedding photo books, sure. A large 30x40? Yeah a 20MP can do that no problem. People really get lost in numbers when it comes to MP and dont actually know the facts behind it

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
May 11, 2017
Agreed not enough info yet but the 12fps bit .... something feels off. How could both the R5 and R6 share that key spec? And that absolutely would NOT put it at or below the RP. I’m wondering some specs are getting lost/crossed in rumor translation. Cant see how these two both would offer that without some radical other differences (more than just sensor size that is)
The R5 will have 2 card slots, the R6 one.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
I will say that my hands are not steady. But the way that the Rf 50mm f/1.2L balances, and the shutter speeds we enjoy at f/2.2 and lower, together work to make IS something I don't miss. However, if video were a factor, then IS would be important.

Plus, I just took for granted when I bought in to the Rf mount that IBIS would be coming at some point, and that the primes would get even better because of it.

And I've used the R + that 50L. It is lovely.

But sir, this is an Arby's R6 thread. ;)

- A

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0