Here is the Canon RF 24-105mm f/4-7.1 IS STM Macro

Optics Patent

Former Nikon (Changes to R5 upon delivery)
Nov 6, 2019
This lens has the same look and feel as the 24-240, which I find handsome but never use (the RF 70-200 and 35mm f1.8 get the work). I should probably sell. Might defer that and sell as a kit with the RP when the R5 arrives. The f4, f2, and f2.8 mid-ranges arrive this weekend from CPS for testing.

Pricing:
The 24-105 f4 L has been retailing for $899 and probably isn't selling much at $1099. Used examples aren't going for $500-600 as a glut of kit lenses has apparently been absorbed, but are now in the $700+ range.
The 24-240 is $999 but was part of an RP kit at $1499, so was essentially a $500 lens, but open boxes sell for $700.
This one needs to be a $499 lens or lower. Maybe they list it separately as $699-799 for "value" and it lets them sell a $1299 kit with a FF RP or successor. On sale occasionally for $499.
This lens doesn't need to generate its own profits, it needs to sell mirrorless, sell full frame, and most of all sell Canon.

Performance:
The potential buyers for this don't care about uncorrected performance. Totally irrelevant. As irrelevant as worrying about the uncorrected performance of the lens in their iPhone. Similarly they likely won't use menus to change the focus/control switch. This isn't an L lens for enthusiasts whose hobbies include posting on the internet about camera lenses.

Quality:
Taiwan is fine. Nobody cares.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

gruhl28

Canon 70D
Jul 26, 2013
I should be clear, I'm not starting an argument nor am I complaining. I just haven't used a control ring before. Seems to me like if I have my control ring set to something important like ISO (aperture, shutter, etc), then I don't have a way to manually focus AND adjust the setting on my ring... and that didn't seem right. Thanks for the clarification though.

I have had a love/hate relationship with the 24-105 f4 for years. Great all-round focal range just wish it was faster!
Quite interesting. Looks like the L series RF lenses have separate control and focus rings, but I see that the RF 24-240 also has just a zoom and dual focus/control ring, with a switch to switch between uses. I agree, this would make using manual focus annoying if you have the control ring mapped to an important function. I guess it's a sacrifice you make for the smaller, less expensive lenses. Really only an issue if you use manual focus much with the lens.

Upvote 0

Optics Patent

Nov 6, 2019
Dont like design choice of eliminating Af/Mf switch on non L RF lenses.

Just make a sticker that puts "AF" over the "control", and "MF" over focus. Fixed!

Are you really a consumer of entry level consumer lenses when the same zoom range is available in a similar aperture in an L lens for $700 open box? Often, enthusiasts and pros "don't like" the design shoices that are ideally made for entry-level consumers.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

gruhl28

Canon 70D
Jul 26, 2013
It is there.
Just called out differently.
Put on MF and you have MF.
Put on Control you have AF.
Just the same thing except on Control you get more features that the old AF/MF switch did not have.
Interesting. But I guess this means that these lenses do not have full-time manual focus override when using AF, correct? If this switch is set to Focus, does that turn off AF? Or is there a way to have autofocus enabled, and still set this to Focus to have manual override while using autofocus?

Upvote 0

Optics Patent

Nov 6, 2019
... this would make using manual focus annoying if you have the control ring mapped to an important function. I guess it's a sacrifice you make for the smaller, less expensive lenses. Really only an issue if you use manual focus much with the lens.

Most entry level users don't "map" or even know what those switches do. Think like a newbie. They know it's $999 for the kit, and maybe what the zoom numbers mean (not the f numbers). "Makes me look like a pro" is more important than control switches.

And I'm not looking down on them. After all, an honest analysis would probably say I'd pay $500 more for a lens if you painted it white. Why no "white-angles"? ;-)

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
I've been hanging on to my mk1 EF 24-105 for some time, but I don't think I've put it on my camera since picking up a 24-70 f/2.8Lii ~2 years ago. That 24-105 zoom range is so attractive to me, but I when I was comparing images between lenses I was always drawn to the 24-70 far beyond the 24-105. I had thought the RF version was pretty similar to the EF, but if it comes closer to bridging that gap I may need to make some changes... off to the digital picture!

The 3x zoom always dunks on the 4.5x zoom. Physics is still physics last I checked.

24-105s can clearly improve, but a well designed 24-70 (of similar quality level, max aperture, materials, etc.) should outresolve it.

- A

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

gruhl28

Canon 70D
Jul 26, 2013
At first, I was a little grumbly when I saw that the control ring doubled as the manual focus ring, but then I thought more about it...

The target market for variable aperture, inexpensive, non-L lenses is beginners/novices who almost universally:

• Shoot in one of the auto-exposure modes.
  • Rarely (if ever) use manual focus.

There's a chance that a beginner/novice might only fit one of the above, but I'll bet it's unlikely many novice photographers will regularly use both functions. This makes it a smart compromise in functions (either/or) if it keeps production costs -- and thus price -- down as much as possible.

There will undoubtedly be some enthusiasts who enjoy quality, inexpensive lenses that will miss the dedicated, separate functions, but I'd wager they're in the minority.

As an aside, I think the release of this lens in fairly close proximity to the announcement/release of the R6 points to the R6 filling the RF lineup slot that the 6D filled in the EF lineup. Will be interesting to see...
How many beginners/novices are buying full-frame? I would think not many. But not everyone, even experienced photographers, can afford or be willing to spend the money on L lenses, most don't need the bullet-proof construction, don't need perfect IQ, may not want the size and weight, etc. I would think that most people buying full-frame cameras and lenses are not beginners, but may still be willing to trade a dedicated focus ring for the reduction in price, size, and weight.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

Optics Patent

Nov 6, 2019
Interesting. But I guess this means that these lenses do not have full-time manual focus override when using AF, correct? If this switch is set to Focus, does that turn off AF? Or is there a way to have autofocus enabled, and still set this to Focus to have manual override while using autofocus?

Based on the 24-240: Press shutter release halfway and it will auto focus and it's manual focus. (Unless you're in servo mode in which case it stays auto-focusing.) True MF can be set in the menus. Amusingly, if MF is selected in the menus, and the switch is to control, there is no way to focus the lens.

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
Of course it will have no Full Time Manual just like RF24-105 4L does not. This does not seem very important but having used the EOS R for some time I have encountered cases where if I have shot something very close like a flower then it does respond (it stays there!). I have to either turn the camera off and on a few times or put the switch to manual, move the ring to something close to the distance I want to focus and change it back to AF.

This is not 100% new for Canon but with DSLR it had happened to me only when both were true:
1. I had opted for no AF attempt if not in focus which is a typical selection for bird/sport shooting and
to tell the truth I set it on EOS R for these rare cases I will need AI Servo.
2. There was not contrast to allow focusing (like all black, all white, same color).
Camera didnt't wake when recomposing (as I said very very few times) but using a FTM lens I moved a little the focusing ring and everyhing went back to normal.

But allow me to repeat. Wit EOS R and 24-105L this happened when focusing close to MFD and then trying to focus at a distance.

In DSLR case this has happened to me only with the 500mm and VERY rarely and only if the two above mentioned cases happened at the same time.

But fixing it in case of RF24-105 isn't that quick and it annoys me. There will be no issues I guess with the other lenses I remember using one of the two at least using FTM when taking tests shots in my living room.
I played with not because I found a problem but to set camera to respond to it by magnifying the EVF image (very interesting feature by the way!)

Upvote 0
I'm not an RF guy (yet) but can someone explain how to manually focus this lens? Not sure if the other RF zooms work the same way but it just looks like it has a zoom ring and the control ring. AF/MF switch reads "focus/control." Do you flip the switch and focus with the control ring? Doesn't that suck if your control ring is controlling something important like ISO?
If you put the switch on focus, then the ring controls focus, if the ring is on control, then it acts like a control ring (adjusting whatever you have set up for that function) With that switch set to "focus" if your camera body is set to AF and you have your body configured for AF+MF, then you can make focus adjustments after AF, if your camera body is set to MF, then that is simply a focus by wire ring. Maybe in future firmware, there will be an option that when that lens switch is switched to "focus" it puts the camera body in MF mode, or AF+MF, your choice.

Upvote 0
May 11, 2017
The 3x zoom always dunks on the 4.5x zoom. Physics is still physics last I checked.

24-105s can clearly improve, but a well designed 24-70 (of similar quality level, max aperture, materials, etc.) should outresolve it.

- A

From Roger Cicala's post on the Sigma 24-105

I generally let you know what my expectations are before I start, to hopefully let you know where my personal opinion affects things. The fact that I’m just posting tests of the Sigma 24-105mm f/4 DG OS HSM Art months after the lens was released tells you a lot. I’m not excited about testing 24-105mm lenses; it’s almost always ‘another one like the other ones.’

Don’t get me wrong; these are useful and popular zooms for a reason. I’ve owned several and used them a lot. The focal length makes them superb general purpose and walk-about lenses. But designing a zoom that goes from retrofocus to telephoto is a daunting task. My conclusion for almost every one of them has been “decent from 24mm to 70mm and usable past that if you need to.” I didn’t expect anything different from this lens, Art or not.

Upvote 0
Jan 30, 2020
The RF 24-240 has the same design - like others have said, I think you simply flip the focus/control switch to toggle between manual focus and whatever you want the control ring set to. I would bet this is one of the ways Canon is trying to reduce manufacturing costs on lower-end lenses.
I rarely use manual focus with budget lenses. Not a concern for me
For panoramas on a tripod I make sure to switch on MF on the lens.

Upvote 0
Feb 5, 2020
Didn’t read the whole thread. Most of it. As a novice, given the choice between this and the 24-240 as a kit, I’d take the latter. Overall, this may be the better lens, but I value the reach more in the all in one. And I have the 35mm f1.8 as well, so the 3.5 isn’t worth the loss of reach.
As far as the focus/control switch. I think it’s fine. I mapped our control ring to ISO and reaching for a switch takes getting used to just like reaching for a 3rd ring does.
It is interesting how important something became that didn’t exist prior to the RF mount.
I’m more looking forward to a non “L” 50 and/or 85. F1.8 - f2 is a more than adequate aperture for my needs. I just want to take decent headshots of my kids to hang on the walls. Not trying to make a living. The 35 is okay, but a bit wide. The 24-240 gives me the reach, but I’m already at f5 at 50 mm and f5.6 at 70mm.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Mar 20, 2015
The potential buyers for this don't care about uncorrected performance. Totally irrelevant. As irrelevant as worrying about the uncorrected performance of the lens in their iPhone.

People who spend $1500 on a full-frame and lens kit are a lot more clued-in than you seem to think
They might only shoot JPEGs but they'll primarily be in Av and Tv modes.

Upvote 0

- A
True, but the 24-105 will always beat the 24-70 at 105.

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0
How many beginners/novices are buying full-frame?

All the same ones that bought the very successful 6D.

It wouldn't surprise me if the R6* and this lens (or other kit lens) show up in Costco all over the US, to be snapped up by people who want a "pro" (looks like, to them, anyway) full-frame camera at a no-brainer kit price (think of the mostly-affluent Costco members). When the price of a full-frame camera isn't a huge leap from the cost of their latest iPhone, it seems more plausible, doesn't it?

*That is, if the R6 fills the RF equivalent slot as the 6D, as I suspect...but could be totally wrong.

Upvote 0
Jan 21, 2015
I am looking forward to the formal announcement of all the new gear. Maybe we will have a "one more thing..." moment?
I hate that phrase, when we did some "minor" changes to our current home before moving in, every time my wife said "one more thing" it cost between 3 and 10 thousand dollars. 35K later on top of the down payment we moved in.
But this time it could be good:)

• Haha
Upvote 0

trulandphoto

Upstate NY photographer and retired atorney
CR Pro
Jul 19, 2011
trulandphotography.com
Quite interesting. Looks like the L series RF lenses have separate control and focus rings, but I see that the RF 24-240 also has just a zoom and dual focus/control ring, with a switch to switch between uses. I agree, this would make using manual focus annoying if you have the control ring mapped to an important function. I guess it's a sacrifice you make for the smaller, less expensive lenses. Really only an issue if you use manual focus much with the lens.

And no issue at all if you remove the focus start function from the shutter button like I do. It's always easy to manual focus by not using the af-on button and half pressing the shutter button.

• Love
Upvote 0