Canon EOS R6 IBIS in action

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Who has info on the 1DX3's AA?
Canon has some info on it. Quote from the white paper:

"A Canon first — the High Detail Low-Pass Filter does what its name suggests — breaking a single incoming light ray into 16 separate, precisely controlled rays at the sensor. In concert with the powerful DIGIC X processor, the result is enhanced subject detail and sharpness, and even less risk of moiré patterns and false colors, vs. conventional low-pass filters (which typically break a single ray into four separate rays at the sensor)"

Page 43, if you want to read the rest. Certainly a new type of filter.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
Sep 3, 2018
Canon's dedication to strong anti aliasing filters will continue, I'm sure.
Not necessarily a bad thing if done well.

I shoot with the Sony A7RIII while I wait for the Canon mirrorless cameras and I find the absence of an AA filter gives the impression of sharpness but the images easly look over sharpened due to aliasing and false colour. If you're into the super real look for something like product photography then fair enough but for people, subjects with lots of fine detail like feathers/fur and even landscape I'm not a massive fan.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
The pricing of the R6 is really the interesting thing to me. Obviously the R6 advances from the current R series bodies with IBIS, and a much improved frame rate, and hopefully a much improved EVF, but sacrifices MP (not sure this matters if the DR is better on the new sensor for most people) and the body appears to take a step backwards, probably to keep the pricing down. If they position the pricing somewhere between the R and the RP I think it will sell like hotcakes to prosumers like myself who don't mind spending SOME money on a cool new camera. But if they price it at $2200+, I think they're going to have a tough time getting the 80D/90D/6D users to jump to the mirrorless platform. I'm sure a marketing guru at Canon has probably already researched the crap out of this and they will position it properly in the market.

Unless they intend to continue the R/RP lines, maybe with a better processor and EVF, and keep those as the gateway drug to the R line.

In either case, I have been holding off my buying decision for 6 months to see what the new cameras come in at. I can wait a couple more months for this to flesh itself out.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
^ Pricing?

Ok, what are some of your estimated prices for these new releases that are potentially coming that have been rumored?

The r6 based on speculated features is how much? That r5? Anyone? Anyone want to play that game?

Interested because, quite frankly, the regular consumer who is always looking for a cool new advancement camera is going to be highly interested. And with the higher fps, ibis, card slots etc., if it's a significant upgrade to the EOSR, I'll be shooting for that. Also, I'm not a video guy, are those advancements really worth it for me or people who are just still photo person? Heck, the EOS r may drop in price and we can jump on one of those or a 2nd body.

Because at its current price point, the EOS R is a helluva camera. At a lower price... even greater. And I'm not keen on spending almost 5k for a mirrorless camera, and that RF glass, for a "newer" camera that may not fit all my needs and have bells whistles I don't need.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Hey yes agreed, if it’s a $1000 entry level camera that represents an upgrade from the RP, then I can’t complain much about missing specs. And I won’t.

But if the R6 is intended to be an upgrade from the current EOS R with pricing in line with or just above the Sony A7III and it then falls short of meeting those specs on the A7III then that’s disappointing. I mean the A7III is a two year old system, if they can’t meet its minimum standards then it’s crippled.

A7III has IBIS, has Dual Slot, 4K no crop, Magnesium Alloy, 24mp etc and it’s selling for sub $2000. That should be Canons starting point. I mean if you can’t even make a camera that at least rivals a two year old Sony body, then don’t waste my time. Hence crippled.

If you take the releases in context with Canon's statements about taking the lead and marketshare, unless they are lying then I expect the camera will be very well priced compared to the competition. That is taking Canon's words at face value though.

The Sony only shoots 10fps and 4k at 30p. Does that mean it is crippled or is it just different?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
The r6 based on speculated features is how much? That r5? Anyone? Anyone want to play that game?
At this point you'll only be getting guesses. With the R5, Canon would offer the highest throughput and the highest video resolution available on any FF ILC stills camera. How much they charge for that depends on the impact they are aiming at.

Upvote 0
Hey yes agreed, if it’s a $1000 entry level camera that represents an upgrade from the RP, then I can’t complain much about missing specs. And I won’t.

But if the R6 is intended to be an upgrade from the current EOS R with pricing in line with or just above the Sony A7III and it then falls short of meeting those specs on the A7III then that’s disappointing. I mean the A7III is a two year old system, if they can’t meet its minimum standards then it’s crippled.

A7III has IBIS, has Dual Slot, 4K no crop, Magnesium Alloy, 24mp etc and it’s selling for sub $2000. That should be Canons starting point. I mean if you can’t even make a camera that at least rivals a two year old Sony body, then don’t waste my time. Hence crippled.
Well said!!!!

Upvote 0
Not necessarily a bad thing if done well.

I shoot with the Sony A7RIII while I wait for the Canon mirrorless cameras and I find the absence of an AA filter gives the impression of sharpness but the images easly look over sharpened due to aliasing and false colour. If you're into the super real look for something like product photography then fair enough but for people, subjects with lots of fine detail like feathers/fur and even landscape I'm not a massive fan.

Good point, maybe a weaker AA filter then. I really think thats whats robbing the 5D4 of a small degree of potential.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Getting back to off-topic, this is real moon photography by jrista whose absence I for one regret.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

Optics Patent

Former Nikon (Changes to R5 upon delivery)
Nov 6, 2019
If the moon is 14% farther from the earth's surface it is not as bright, due to the area square rule.

That’s a common error. The point for photographic exposure is the brightness of the surface, not the apparent size of the subject. Larger is more light but not a brighter surface.

Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
That’s a common error. The point for photographic exposure is the brightness of the surface, not the apparent size of the subject. Larger is more light but not a brighter surface.
Michael is presumably quite correctly referring to the inverse square law whereby as the moon moves further away the observed brightness will fall fall off as 1/(distance^2) because the radiated light is spread out as hits us over a larger area here.

Upvote 0
As far as pricing goes, I think if the R6 truly does come out with subpar ergonomics to the current R body (no top display, no magnesium body, smaller grip) I can only imagine that Canon is positioning it between the R and RP. Granted all the other improvements make up for it, but still, if your market for the R6 is intended to be a buyer that's going to spend more than the $$$ for the R, why not use the existing R body to create the R6? Couple that with the less MP sensor, and an as of now unknown quantity on the EVF, I think Canon is shooting for that $1500-$1800 MSRP, with a $1200 street price.

If that's the case, that leaves a pretty big hole between it and the R5, which I fully anticipate being at least $3K based on the feature set. An upgrade to the existing R with a similar MP sensor and a faster throughput would make for an enticing choice.

Like everyone else here though, this is purely speculation on my part. If the R6 truly comes out as a model between the current R and RP I will be kind of disappointed. I was really looking for an R type camera with improved throughput and a better EVF. Doesn't look like that's coming. Maybe I will jump on an R for a couple years and live with it's shortcomings while the RF field works itself out.

Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Many of them are. But many other nicknames for the full moon in certain months have ancient origins.
Apparently, “The tribes of what is now the northeastern United States called this the Snow Moon or the Storm Moon because of the heavy snows that fall in this season."

Upvote 0
We may not be able to correctly guess what features are going to be in which bodies...BUT, we all see how rapidly the market for FF ILC's has been shrinking. Perhaps FINALLY Canon has realized this is a fight for existence, not just market share, and that aggressive tactics are going to be needed to knock either Sony or Nikon effectively out of the race (at least for a time).

As a consumer, I look forward to more and better; however, I'm not happy about the health of this industry, nor what lower sales volumes mean to prices. But right now, we might be entering bonanza time--if we are getting ready to see an all out features war.

canon doesn’t need to dominate FF MILC sales to remain on top, it’s a tiny segment of the market. The vast majority of consumers are buying APS-C cameras and canons M50 is killing it in sales in Japan. APS-C sales with the M and Rebel line is what keeps them on top, not $3k FF bodies and $3k RF lenses,

Upvote 0

researcher

Shooting With Trailing-Edge Gear Now & Then...
May 30, 2015
Any info or opinions if an APSC-sensor model makes any sense for the R-series cameras?

Full frame is the big money & market-share objective in mirrorless, but I thought that APSC bodies were Canon's volume sellers, so there are probably many people out there who aren't advance or pro-shooters but have already invested in a Rebel or x0D-body and EF-S lenses.

If I'm happy enough with my T2i or 80D, and still rely heavily on my EF-S 24mm pancake, 17-55mm, and 18-200mm, do I need to give those up when I want to upgrade?

I believe the R-series cameras have a crop mode, but they are still full frame and full priced bodies aimed at a the upper-end buyers. An APSC specific body might enable Canon to address a lower budget segment, and offer a path for non-pro but frequent-enough shooters who have invested in enough EF-S lenses to want to stay in that lens ecosystem.

Thoughts?

Upvote 0
The RP is getting phased out. And yes. You will have a $1500-$1800 Canon MILC with IBIS because of this:

And that certainly is not the R5. The R5 is a 5D body line equivalent. It will be be priced like a 5D body. That's about $3500-$3800. The HIGH MP model might be $5000ish, but I still see that one under $4000 as well. Just like the 5DS and 5DSR

You need to go and read more up on what Canon has been hinting at for the last couple years.

Canon doesn’t care about Sony. If they did, the RP would have been $800 and the R would have been $1500

Upvote 0